Why do I never learn my lesson not to buy from Bid again?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Shoptilidrop

Registered Shopper
I bought a Gener8 mop steam cleaner from Bid. It was delivered promptly, but a few days later I received a letter from Bid stating that I should return it to them as soon as possible as there had been complaints of faults with the product, at risk of electric shock etc. I returned it before Christmas and still have not received my money refunded or my £10 voucher which they said they would give me as "compensation".......

I've read mostly negative reviews on all of Bid's own brands - they seem to be of the lowest possible quality. I'd stay well away from Gener8, Your Kitchen, Love Life, Tommy & Kate etc.

That's awful shoptilidrop. I got a deal of the day Beldray one from Argos £30. It is not the one they are showing at the moment with the hand held steamer, just the mop bit.

Goodness me, that's such awful business! Shame on them! At least you didn't get harmed using it!! (The Bid one I mean not the Argos lol) x.

I imagine the person who originally complained (thus sparking a full and un-necessary recall, as is good practice) was most likely too stupid to own an electrical item. I imagine them in the bath, attempting to steam the tub, underwater whilst plugged into the mains...this, as you can imagine may cause an electric shock. I'm sure this important Health and Safety information is now prominently displayed on the packaging.

Yes that'll be it, there can't possibly be anything wrong with the product :wonder:

For selling ****, that's bid for you. Not getting your money back, that's Bid taking the piss. Bid takes the piss out of their customers.

I imagine the person who originally complained (thus sparking a full and un-necessary recall, as is good practice) was most likely too stupid to own an electrical item. I imagine them in the bath, attempting to steam the tub, underwater whilst plugged into the mains...this, as you can imagine may cause an electric shock. I'm sure this important Health and Safety information is now prominently displayed on the packaging.

Living up to your name I see :talking:

At least Bid did the correct thing and recalled them - although it's not good that they have been taking so long over the refund.

I took an electrical item to Trading Standards a few years ago and only got as far as saying ' I bought this from Price Dro... ' and the man said 'Oh not them again':grin: Up until then, like Ilovebid, I thought it was either a one off or that maybe I hadn't followed the directions properly.

Agreed, when will I ever learn as well. I dunno what it is with some of us. Some of the electrical goods they sell under their own brand and others ARE very cheap, but are proved to be of inferior quality time and time again, yet we (well I) keep on ordering the stuff in the vain hope I'm going to get my hands on a real bargain. Recent examples, I bought a Vivitar camcorder from them, and I kid you not, it cost me less than £20 even with the postage, I was thrilled as it was supposed to take stills as well as moving images. I took it along to my friend's wedding last year, and I ended up with the most unwatchable, shaky film, and that wasn't down to me having the DT's I promise! and the still photographs were so grey and grainy I was embarrased to show them to anyone. So that's in the back of the cupboard (don't know why I don't just bin it tbh).

Then I bought a portable dvd player with freeview tv attatched. I (stupidly) believed James Russell (OMG!) when he said the battery life was amazing ( I thought he meant amazingly good!) and that the micro aerial was a good 'un! The DVD part of the deal lived up to expectations i.e, it worked, the tv well you could just about get a broken picture on about 2 of the available channels, but nothing you could have actually sat down and watched, and the remote control that came with it didn't work! I actually was going to send this back, because it cost the best part of £80, but somehow I discovered it works an absolute treat upstairs in my attic room -The remote still doesn't work, but saves the hassle of trying to get a refund or replacement!

I also bought myself a portable dab radio....It ticked all the boxes for me. Mains/battery, alarm clock, wooden case and only £24.99. It was made by Magicbox, a firm that John Lewis stock, so I thought I was onto a winner. When I got it, I asked OH to set it up for me, and he said the sound quality seems good, but there's this continuous hum you can hear when there's a quiet moment, I couldn't actually hear it. However after destroying the box, and getting down to using it, the hum became so unbearable that I had to use FM all the time which defeats the purpose really, then to add insult to injury FM developed this almost continuous "fart" and faffing around with the aerial helped a bit, but it kept coming back.

I think the hassle of ringing their ridiculous far flung call centre and having to pay to send stuff back then try to claw back compensation is why so many people put up with such inferior merchandise. What I can't measure is why people keep coming back for more, and that includes me..HELP!

Although I'm glad Bid recalled the steam mop if people had been injuring themselves using it, i just wish they would be as quick to refund me money as they are to take money out my account :( I wait with baited breath to see how long it will take me before i get my money back.

I took an electrical item to Trading Standards a few years ago and only got as far as saying ' I bought this from Price Dro... ' and the man said 'Oh not them again':grin: Up until then, like Ilovebid, I thought it was either a one off or that maybe I hadn't followed the directions properly.

That's easily explainable, the trading standards people are trained to 'sympathise'. People come in to complain about everything from cold burgers to cut n shut cars, and they're really anger at this point because they've already had no luck with the snotty 17 year old McManager or the 'computer says no' car dealer - so they go ape s**t at the trading standards person as if their in charge. By agreeing with your position and sharing faux anger at the person/company that your angry with, you'd find it hard to be angry with them - they sound like they're on your side. The reality is that the trading standards people really can't do much, even if they wanted too. It's much easier just to agree with you, give you a little hug and say "there there, it's going to be alright"...

Latest posts

Back