Why?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

yorkrose26

Registered Shopper
Why is that when presenters present a phone, or tablet or even bedding that is of 'lesser value' (money wise), do they need to compare it to items of more expensive value and try and 'convince' people that they are getting the same features and (better) in some cases than the more expensive ones. Alison Cork is doing it with practically every item she flogs, Amanda Holden does it to an extent, but the reason for the posting today was the Nokia 'Big Deal' phone. This is a budget (I know it is over £100, but lets face it in the 'smartphone world' it is budget) smartphone, yet constantly they were comparing it with phones 3 or 4 times more expensive, are they thus not setting a 'rod for their own back'? I mean if you are not that 'tech savvy' (and lets face it (and no offence to anyone on who uses this site) most people who watch QVC aren't)), this is fair enough, but when they are then being told by sales presenters, that this phone can do all that a £800 phone can do (and more), isn't this bordering on 'miss-selling'?

Sorry for the rant, it is just that my mother was looking into purchasing a new smartphone (given that 'cash' is out of favour now) and she saw this and was 'almost' taken in by the hype, I gently manoeuvred her to another!

Auction World did it all the time with their jewellery many years ago, and in the end it was their undoing, and they went to the wall.

Its the biggest of all cons, saying how an item is one price, but you can get it for a much lower deal. Part of the script of marketing strategy. Estate agents used to tell vendors to percolate coffee, or put vanilla essence into a warm oven, to enhance the senses of potential viewers. The 30/60 dmg of QVC is just like the cooling off period of other high pressure sales techniques. One of the worst protagonists was the TimeShare salesmen, preying on holidaying couples to attend an exhibition, who were then locked in a hall while the sales pitch took place. Of course it has always been ever thus, in the old fashioned outdoor markets, there'd be the china seller gathering a crowd around his lorry while he sold a 50 piece dinner set to his mate in the audience for a fiver, and that got the crowd going.

This is all to 'tap' into the psyche of people who always want a 'bargain'. Mind games, all the time. You just have to be canny, and see it for what it is.

Just another sales device- they just not comparing like with like but by telling viewers that a diamond ring with a fragment of diamond is still a diamond ring isn't a lie so they do it...same with the phones...yeah a cheap smart phone might have all the features of a high end one but it's not gonna be so good. What they fail to mention is that in comparison music from it will sound like it's coming from an old tin can, or when you download films on it..it'll drain the battery and suck up most of your data and the picture/sound won't be that sharp. There's nothing wrong in telling the viewers what something does...but ffs don't try and imply that you're getting something high end for a budget price!

I think TJC is slightly less boring than Gems because they sell household stuff as well but as for Gems with the fake excitement and selling one item an hour, no I can’t do it, painfully boring and slow. I think I I’ve only ever channel hopped on Gems twice since it’s been on air and about five times with TJC. They both remind me of QVC in a way, who also make up their own price and reduce it dramatically to make it look like you’re getting a bargain, but of course we all know the trick they’re pulling by now.

I guess you have never seen Ideal World sell a Mobile Phone.

The presenter will go through each feature and go what do you reckon it will be 200.00, it has this so what do you think £300.00, only for the information to appear as £39.99

Yes they’re all the same only IW is what it is, never made themselves out to be Harrods.

Chunts is on the Eek show and is probably surpassing her normal gut wrenching false sweetness, and is comparing Eek to department store jewellery so when they sell department store jewellery do they compare to market stall and when it’s market stall who then ......?

Chunts is on the Eek show and is probably surpassing her normal gut wrenching false sweetness, and is comparing Eek to department store jewellery so when they sell department store jewellery do they compare to market stall and when it’s market stall who then ......?

I’m not watching but my cholesterol has gone up just thinking about her at her sickly best 😂

Christmas cracker/Jamboree bag?!

Latest posts

Back