Will QVC prosper if Ideal World go under!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

IW have had some half decent offers on recently. I got 2 pairs of Skechers (the bungee laces ones) for £40 a pair on 4 flexi pays and free delivery/return. They were OK as well and true to size. You get a lot of good offers on the gardening as well so I hope they don't go bust.

CC

The new company doesn't appear to have the range of goods that the old one had. Least, in terms of what they actually present on the channel. Whether that is connected to any trouble the old one had in terms of paying creditor clients, I don't know. But there are virtually no technology products per se or tech type electrical items being broadcast on IW today. That said, QVC appear to have gone in a similar direction with those type of goods, which has its great benefits as it means you see less and less of that tit Lee. Also, one or two of their regular cosmetic and health type names over a number of years standing appear to have gone over to QVC now.

I know reading QVC Facebook numerous complaints about brands once on old IW now on QVC. The comment yesterday, 'QVC stop stealing IW brands and charging more for them.' This did make me laugh at the idea of QVC dressed in all black and facemask, stealing from IW warehouse.

No, the brands who have moved to QVC did so because they wanted to, the prices go up they get more profit for their products, simple. Companies want to make money and if they get a bigger audience to sell to and bigger profit, of course they will go. The same with companies getting bought out by bigger ones because they will make money from the sale.

Seeing that Protocol guy now on QVC does raise questions about the situation IW is currently in. You don’t end a very long association like that if everything is fine, do you? The next few months will be very interesting to see exactly where Ideal World finds itself then - or doesn’t find itself at all.

As for their presenters, I imagine most if not all will hang on to the bitter end if there is ever to be one. I can’t see any of them ever being employed on QVC, and there aren’t exactly many other existing opportunities in shopping television to move on elsewhere for them all, unlike the better products they hawk can. This type of shopping is very much for older viewers. I don’t think young people have the either the time or the inclination to sit through endless presentations for just one or two items. Being crude I just don’t think they have the attention span for it. I think ultimately as older customers start to die off, then ultimately shopping television will die with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing that Protocol guy now on QVC does raise questions about the situation IW is currently in. You don’t end a very long association like that if everything is fine, do you? The next few months will be very interesting to see exactly where Ideal World finds itself then - or doesn’t find itself at all.

As for their presenters, I imagine most if not all will hang on to the bitter end if there is ever to be one. I can’t see any of them ever being employed on QVC, and there aren’t exactly many other existing opportunities in shopping television to move on elsewhere for them all, unlike the better products they hawk can. This type of shopping is very much for older viewers. I don’t think young people have the either the time or the inclination to sit through endless presentations for just one or two items. Being crude I just don’t think they have the attention span for it. I think ultimately as older customers start to die off, then ultimately shopping television will die with it.
Your comment about young people and shopping is interesting. Years ago 2 colleagues with teenagers said the children don't watch television at all, they just follow people's YouTube channels. I've watched exercise videos and DIY tutorials on YouTube but I'd never heard of this. I don't know if this is widespread and I don't have children.

Either way, the world has changed and I don't believe that younger people would watch shopping telly. However I'm happy to be proved wrong🙂.

if IW was to fold, you may see a couple of the presenters go fulltime back to Craft, Dean Wilson and Joe Remblance especially as both do hours at Create as a freelancer

Protocol was only on IW last week,

I know a lot of the craft companys lost money

I think the good old shopping channel has had it's day, well at least on this side of the pond. There's far too much competition out there from online retailers with better prices, free/nominal postage charges and free returns, quicker delivery etc. It's only really those who don't "do" online for whatever reason, and the addicts that are keeping them afloat. I think there's enough of those to keep them going for another few years. If IW do actually bite the dust completely then it'll probably serve QVC well.

I think all businesses are in financial trouble. There is only so much squeezing the governments can do before all hell lets lose. Just a matter of time.

Having gone over to a Sky Puck to stream telly, I no longer get any shopping telly channels. I sometimes see Ideal World on ITV in the wee small hours. I miss the sewing channel as background when I'm not really watching telly...

The old company owes nearly £19.000,000 to creditors, with a max of £7,000,000 in assets 😱 it's no wonder suppliers are hesitant...
Wow that’s some debt. How on earth was that allowed to build ? Are the creditors mainly their bankers or suppliers I wonder ?

Latest posts

Back