Yulin Dog Meat Festival ....does a certain retailer on QVC benefit from the fur ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

May

Registered Shopper
Ricky Gervais is highlighting this monstrous industry ..he has watched a terrible video of it all and it put me to mind of somebody who's name I don't want to utter because if I have my facts right he deals with real animal fur ....I feel physically sick at anything or anybody connected with making money from the way this poor babies are killed ....I might be sticking my kneck out too much here but I am sure I have got my facts right and I totally understand the uproar that this guest invokes ...

We all know Basso uses the skins of the foetus, removed from the mother's womb, before birth. QVC knows that selling fake fur will, unfortunately, sell. The profit from his relationship with QVC bankrolls his genuine fur range. Whether one is wearing animal skin, or acrylic, the effect is the same : how do people know the difference? Both practices are equally abhorrent.

I do understand the revulsion you feel but I don't understand the link you're implying between the "festival" and the QVC brand. However abhorrent you find both linking the one with the other is a helluva leap.

Tinker bell I know ....it just rememinded me of the revulsion of any animal cruelty ....very upsetting article and I wish QVC were not connected to it all ....

Not the meat festival ...I mean fur trade ...sorry very emotive ....maybe I should t have posted ....but hey ...animals are dear to my heart and wanted to share my thoughts on a cruel trade ...probably not appropriate ...sorry for any offence won't mention anymore

We could venture on into how animals are treated in general... those that end up on a plate from a ready meal. The lack of oversight means that animals are often slaughtered without being fully stunned first.

Then there's the way chickens are reared or the fact that male baby chicks are placed alive into a mechanical shredder because they are of no use for egg production... as humans, we are selfish and cruel and most see animals as a commodity.

So, is this suffering in our 'humane' western society any worse than the suffering of those dogs? Or are we more sympathetic because they are cute and furry.

Don't get me wrong, I am a vegetarian verging on vegan and do not wear leather and I'm constantly amazed at how people can justify the cruelty behind the food on their plates, love to wear pearls, eat eggs etc but then are vocal about dog cruelty - suffering is suffering.

I am very much with May on this matter. I am actively opposed to any form of animal cruelty, I only heard about this Yulan festival where dogs and puppies are killed, the puppies are tortured first as that's supposed to make their meat tastier. I am so opposed to us doing any form of business with the Chinese because of the treatment of animals, and their lack of human rights, but at least the humans can say 'no' or hide from as much of it as they can, these poor dogs cannot. It is so emotive for me, and I've lost sleep, there's no way I can watch a video, or even listen to a monologue of what's being done, I think I could just about have tolerated ten minutes or so when I was younger, perhaps I was stronger then, but I know I can't now. Many years ago we also heard about this awful trade in the Philippines, and also recently dogs being snatched from their own gardens where they were pets, in Vietnam. No country that treated animals this way would ever get my tourist money, and I speak from the heart. Many people will walk the walk, but seldom take action.

I make the same comparisons, QVC have presentations from people who sell in China or who buy in China - they are both part and parcel of the same thing to me. You cannot sell cosmetics and skin care in China, if it is not first tested in that country on animals, so that it is deemed safe for the population of China to use it on their skins - so much for human rights, seems to me to be a bit two-faced. I so dislike the fact that everything from QVC and elsewhere when you look at the label, it is 'made in China' I loathe it, and whenever possible will avoid it.

Stick to your guns May, I'm with you 100%.

You should go over to Ricky's Twitter page, and see the replies. It is a sickening trade, yet these people expect us in the west, i.e. Britain to take them to our hearts - they are animals - worse than that.

Last edited:
I
I am very much with May on this matter. I am actively opposed to any form of animal cruelty, I only heard about this Yulan festival where dogs and puppies are killed, the puppies are tortured first as that's supposed to make their meat tastier. I am so opposed to us doing any form of business with the Chinese because of the treatment of animals, and their lack of human rights, but at least the humans can say 'no' or hide from as much of it as they can, these poor dogs cannot. It is so emotive for me, and I've lost sleep, there's no way I can watch a video, or even listen to a monologue of what's being done, I think I could just about have tolerated ten minutes or so when I was younger, perhaps I was stronger then, but I know I can't now. Many years ago we also heard about this awful trade in the Philippines, and also recently dogs being snatched from their own gardens where they were pets, in Vietnam. No country that treated animals this way would ever get my tourist money, and I speak from the heart. Many people will walk the walk, but seldom take action.

I make the same comparisons, QVC have presentations from people who sell in China or who buy in China - they are both part and parcel of the same thing to me. You cannot sell cosmetics and skin care in China, if it is not first tested in that country on animals, so that it is deemed safe for the population of China to use it on their skins - so much for human rights, seems to me to be a bit two-faced. I so dislike the fact that everything from QVC and elsewhere when you look at the label, it is 'made in China' I loathe it, and whenever possible will avoid it.

Stick to your guns May, I'm with you 100%.

You should go over to Ricky's Twitter page, and see the replies. It is a sickening trade, yet these people expect us in the west, i.e. Britain to take them to our hearts - they are animals - worse than that

-thank you So much for your support ONNSA ( tried to write your name out but puter wouldn't let me! ) the Philippines is somewhere I became aware of with this monstrous trade a few years ago ....it was on a programme that I never ever forgot the sights and sounds of ...it still haunts me ..I am so glad that Ricky Is bringing it all to the fore ...dispiciable and seeing the article ( I couldn't watch the video never ever ...not after seeing the Philippines one ) just touched a very raw nerve about the cruelty for the meat and fur trade ....

I am the same as you May, I think it takes a stronger stomach than I have to be able to watch the video - well intentioned as it was to bring this to all of our attention, I just couldn't watch, because I know it goes on. I'm not a big celebrity watcher, as I don't think these days we have celebrities in the true sense of the word, barring a handful that is, but one thing they can do is try their hardest to bring all of this stuff to light and get attention, hopefully in the right places. I know that many Celebs are also very fond of animals, Ricky for example, Graham Norton to name just two, who are sickened by all of this, and will do their best I know to help stop it. I've been thinking of writing to the Chinese Embassy in London, but I realize my letter will probably be ignored, I wish there was another way to get it noticed and shame these so-called 'want to be liked in the west' that this is not tolerated. I was angry enough tonight to send an email to QVC and asked them to pass it on, about how disgusted I am that QVC brag about selling goods in China, and OPI now sell in China well you know they can't sell there unless their goods are tested on animals. If you sell in China you agree to animal testing - simple as that.

Sorry to drag on, but this makes me lose sleep, as I cannot stand to see these little animals tortured beyond all belief.

The weird thing with Chinese cosmetics is, if its made in China sold there or exported they do not test.

Its only any cosmetics that come into China from the West etc.

PETA have recently said they are working with the Chinese government to faze out testing.

There was the case very recently reported in the UK papers, of two men in China who stole and killed two pet dogs. The villagers took it badly and beat the crap out of them, tied them to posts in the burning sun with the dogs they had killed tied round their necks to suffer. They even attacked police who tried to get the men away.

The weird thing with Chinese cosmetics is, if its made in China sold there or exported they do not test.

PETA have recently said they are working with the Chinese government to faze out testing.

There was the case very recently reported in the UK papers, of two men in China who stole and killed two pet dogs. The villagers took it badly and beat the crap out of them, tied them to posts in the burning sun with the dogs they had killed tied round their necks to suffer. They even attacked police who tried to get the men away.
Good to hear - they should do that more often, these men have voices, the poor dogs don't. I'm not a huge fan of PETA, because in the past I have written to them at their London Offices, and not once have I received an acknowledgment, out of courtesy, or a single reply. OneKind, gets my attention every time, and I contribute monthly to them, they are a great organization, and have been on the go since the late 1800s. If I lived in the States, I bet PETA would have replied.

Awwww I am sorry to stir up awful emotions ...I just saw Ricky's article and the fur trade also came smacking into my head at 100 mph ...;0(((...I am going g to write to QVC too about how i feel....prob be ignore but got to try ....Darling Children and Animals need us to speak for them ....it rips my heart out when I hear of cruelty ....Now my lads have grown my baby animals are my life too ...I swear I would do time in prison to protect them ....

Awwww I am sorry to stir up awful emotions ...I just saw Ricky's article and the fur trade also came smacking into my head at 100 mph ...;0(((...I am going g to write to QVC too about how i feel....prob be ignore but got to try ....Darling Children and Animals need us to speak for them ....it rips my heart out when I hear of cruelty ....Now my lads have grown my baby animals are my life too ...I swear I would do time in prison to protect them ....
May you sound very much like a lady after my own heart - this is exactly how I feel, people do such awful things to animals, and to my way of thinking, babies and children, are like animals, they can't speak out when awful things happen to them, those dogs will be traumatized with fear, and therefore unable to defend themselves, even the ones whose instinct is to bite, I can't even begin to think what those awful people would do to them in return - what they do now, is horrendous enough, it just bothers me that the rest of the world wants to be 'pals' with China. A friend of mine recently went because he wanted to see the Great Wall and the Army, I told him there was nothing I wanted to hear, because the Chinese would never in a million years, get my tourist money - sorry but I'm the same with certain other countries too.
Incidentally, it's interesting that you want to write to QVC, I did exactly that last night around 8pm and boy did I pour my heart and soul out to them, I also told them not to brag so much about having QVC in China, and furthermore, Debbie Flint who I can't stand, bragging about 'guess what only the best nail polish OPI are now in China' well she can stick it, and I will never buy OPI again. I have recently stopped buying anything that I have searched on the net, and discovered are involved in China or animal testing in general - the list of companies would surprise many.
I am talking mainly about skin care and cosmetics. Liz Earle has the much coveted Leaping Bunny which is only given to people who meet all the criteria of non animal testing. I hope you will write to QVC I think we should have voices they cannot ignore.

May you sound very much like a lady after my own heart - this is exactly how I feel, people do such awful things to animals, and to my way of thinking, babies and children, are like animals, they can't speak out when awful things happen to them, those dogs will be traumatized with fear, and therefore unable to defend themselves, even the ones whose instinct is to bite, I can't even begin to think what those awful people would do to them in return - what they do now, is horrendous enough, it just bothers me that the rest of the world wants to be 'pals' with China. A friend of mine recently went because he wanted to see the Great Wall and the Army, I told him there was nothing I wanted to hear, because the Chinese would never in a million years, get my tourist money - sorry but I'm the same with certain other countries too.
Incidentally, it's interesting that you want to write to QVC, I did exactly that last night around 8pm and boy did I pour my heart and soul out to them, I also told them not to brag so much about having QVC in China, and furthermore, Debbie Flint who I can't stand, bragging about 'guess what only the best nail polish OPI are now in China' well she can stick it, and I will never buy OPI again. I have recently stopped buying anything that I have searched on the net, and discovered are involved in China or animal testing in general - the list of companies would surprise many.
I am talking mainly about skin care and cosmetics. Liz Earle has the much coveted Leaping Bunny which is only given to people who meet all the criteria of non animal testing. I hope you will write to QVC I think we should have voices they cannot ignore.

Email sent ...straight to the point and asked for a reply ...thank ONNSA...will keep you posted but won't hold my breath ...Thank God for celebs like Ricky Gervais ..I am going to purchase Liz Earle hair products as so many bad reviews about Wen ...cosmetics I don't use ...but if I do I will use the cruelty free....I am trying so hard and know it's not an exact science in this life and yes we are kindred spirits for sure ...My dear Dad had a terrible Childhood and when I see the NSPCC adverts ( he never told us of his hardship I found out when he passed away ) it always affects me .....

I see no reason whatsoever for animal testing and it should be a thing of the past and never ever done on any animal. I can never support China`s policies.
I also see no need whatsoever for animal cruelty and even if an animal is being reared for food, then it should be fed well, kept well, treated well and dispatched as quickly and as humanely as possible. Whatever a Country`s taste in food then that Country should ensure the animals are treated well, sadly that doesn`t happen and in parts of the World there will always be towns and villages where dispatching or keeping an animal humanely will never be top of their list.
I see no reason for people wanting to wear real fur unless they live in an extreme environment and the skins or fur is a by product of hunting for food, such as the Eskimo culture.
We in the Western world find it abhorrent that people eat cats and dogs, guinea pigs, rats and other creatures but in some cultures that is the norm. Also in some Countries people are so poor they will literally eat anything and the concept of keeping an animal as a pet or companion is totally alien to them because they can barely feed their kids let alone an animal they can`t eat or get milk from. We have the luxury of being well fed and a choice of what we will or won`t eat.
I watched an old episode of 24 hours in A and E and a young man had taken his very elderly grandmother to hospital and she later died. She didn`t speak English and originated from Vietnam and when he was asked what she`d missed about Vietnam, he candidly replied, she missed eating dog meat, she used to buy it from the local market and it was a staple in her diet and she didn`t like the fact she couldn`t buy it here. To her, dogs meant food not pets. I guess some cultures will always see dogs as food even though the very thought makes us sick to our stomachs.
It will be a long hard road to educate these Countries let alone to persuade them to bring in laws or punishments regarding poor animal welfare and cruelty but thankfully there are many people and organisations willing to keep lobbying and chipping away at it. Hopefully one day it will all be a thing of the past.

I think it is an uphill struggle with such countries, the thing is too, even if it were totally banned, and with heavy penalties, we all know it would probably become a back street thing, and even a delicacy, I know some countries can't understand how we can possibly love animals. I'm talking mainly about our dogs, but I love all animals, and hate it when I hear or see of cruelty towards horses, donkeys and farm animals. We saw terrible scenes which I had to look away from on Sky news one night of cruelty towards sheep in slaughterhouses, I maintain all of them should be installed with cameras in full sight not hidden - but here I am off on my hobby horse again. I become physically upset to the point where my life can be a misery, as I don't sleep at night if I've heard of a terrible thing happen that day to an innocent animal or child, and I spend the night time thinking how can people be so cruel.

Good! They deserve more than that but at least they got something in return for their foul behaviour. There was a petition against the Yulin Dog Festival which I have signed. Nothing surprises me about that part of the world! Hideous!

I think it is an uphill struggle with such countries, the thing is too, even if it were totally banned, and with heavy penalties, we all know it would probably become a back street thing, and even a delicacy, I know some countries can't understand how we can possibly love animals. I'm talking mainly about our dogs, but I love all animals, and hate it when I hear or see of cruelty towards horses, donkeys and farm animals. We saw terrible scenes which I had to look away from on Sky news one night of cruelty towards sheep in slaughterhouses, I maintain all of them should be installed with cameras in full sight not hidden - but here I am off on my hobby horse again. I become physically upset to the point where my life can be a misery, as I don't sleep at night if I've heard of a terrible thing happen that day to an innocent animal or child, and I spend the night time thinking how can people be so cruel.

Me too ONNSA ..haunts me and I have to get things out of my head ....I signed the petition they have too ...Twinkle forgot to mention this before I started the thread

Latest posts

Back