Vita-Mix Blender, any thoughts?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

~*~Lexxy~*~

my heart is in Kernow...
Middle England...left a bit, no, right...
Vita-Mix 500 blender currently being sold on IW @ £449.99 with the extra 'jug'.

i'm into soup making at the moment & really like the idea of this contraption doing it's stuff for 8 mins &, voila! hot soup all ready :tongue2:

am very seriously tempted but i think hubby would string me up for spending that sort of money on a kitchen 'thing'!! :thinking2:

I ordered it yesterday ... have read a lot about it and it's supposed to be brilliant ... so with the 4 easy pays I thought why not ... I have been nagging hubby for a while to get it :) and he obliged lol.... They supposedly last for yrs and I bet there's loads more you can do with it :)

oooh! i'm jealous! well done you for making a decision & going for it ;)

i've been having a look around at what's out there in this area & have found a few possibles, both under £300:

Waring Megamix - £240

Rhino blender - £260

Power Mill blender - £349 at most places but is on eBay at the moment at £239

i think the Waring is my fave at the mo' as the brand gets good reviews & it's got a lifetime warranty on the motor.

*off to count my pennies*

I have heard that the Rhino is very good also ... 'tho the waring looks good lol decisions decisions :)

Well you did ask for thoughts, I hope Im not going to offend anyone here...

Spending anything like you are thinking of on a blender for basically soup, seems remarkably silly to me when you think what you could do with it. We were all borking here the other day at 1k for the kenwood which basically did the same thing on a larger scale.......

I dont mean to put anyone down and you have all earned your money to spend as you wish, but having watched IW for years now and all these products over and over,. they are kinda limited really :( Sadly I can't afford something like this, so soup for me is some fresh veggies microwaved then blitzed with a Morrisons home blender (£5-99) and then back in the micro for 10 seconds, works for me :/

When I watch these programmes there's always the 'me' way of doing things, such as like I mentioned if they show soup, or like the Tefal Jam maker last week, it makes me fancy jam so I go buy a pot, 69p is much cheaper than £69, I bet they hate people like me.

Im sorry if that is rude but you did ask for 'thoughts' and mine are that you could buy yourself something far sparklier and prettier hehe than something which you can already essentially make do without.

Happy Wednesday all.
XXX

all thoughts welcome Cheesecake! :)

i completely agree about the kenwood, i don't 'get' that at all. but this type of thing, i think i would make use of for soups, juice, smoothies & low fat/calorie desserts. also, reading about 'raw food' diets, i think i'd like to try some of those ideas too.

i'm still not sure about spending this amount of money on a kitchen gadget though...hmmm.

noisey - definitely! don't think i'd bother with it's own little WendyHouse though!

OMG Lexxy... funny you mention Raw Food ... that is exactly why I am buying this Vitamix ... I have been looking at the raw food way of eating for months and have decided to include far more raw food in my diet and yes it is a fair bit of money but it will be the only gadget I use to create my new delicious raw food recipes ( and a dehydrator) ... So I was really pleased when IW had it on 4 pays as I was going to get it anyway... so their sales patter was wasted on me :)...and yes Cheesecake we are all entitled to our opinions :) and it's certainly not rude to have them X

Last edited:
It's fab fab fab .... I made a smoothie ..banana..strawbs with the green leaves left on....spinach...kale..cashews and oat milk.. it was yummy and as smooth as silk :) ... gonna make a raw butternut squash soup tomorrow

What turned me off it was that everything he put in came out the sort of colour Plasticene used to go when you mixed all the colours together.
The fruit/veg drinks looked like that or the water jar you dip your brushes in when you're painting.
Not that I was going to buy it anyway.... lol!:cheeky:

i've been having a look around at what's out there in this area & have found a few possibles, both under £300:

Waring Megamix - £240

Rhino blender - £260

i think the Waring is my fave at the mo' as the brand gets good reviews & it's got a lifetime warranty on the motor.

For what it's worth,I have the Rhino,and it's a good machine ,but you get what you pay for,and I bought the Vita-Mix which I think is brilliant .I think it;s far more robust,and I think it pulverises foods better than the Rhino and you get a pretty long warranty ( I think it's 8 years) in comparison to 2 years on the Power Mill and on the Rhino. You may be spending less initially but will it prove cost effective in the long run? Also Power Mill lists RPMs but I can't find motor size.If you want to compare like to like..,check out a new one called Omniblend.I'm not sure if it's sold over here just yet,but from all I;ve read,it's pretty close to the Viatmix in everything other than price ,and that has to be a consideration of course.Get the best one you can afford.I don't think any of them beat the Vitamix in terms of performance but you can certainly get a good machine for less money. There is another one called Blendtec which is meant to be on par with Vitamix but I'm not sure of the cost .

I have had my vita mix for coming on 15 years now my X mother in law was an in store/show demonstrator for them and while I was still married she gave me me one for Christmas one year.
I keep it out on the work surface and use it once or twice most weeks sometimes more.
I use it for every thing from making liver cake for the dogs to making soups and smoothies.
I wouldn't be without it now but don't know that I would have invested that amount on ANY kitchen gadget, if I was buying.

I bought my Vitamix with extra smaller jug, a couple of years ago. I can honestly say it is worth every single penny. It is used every day, at least once, but often multiple times a day. It is used most often for smoothies (Jamie Oliver's mango and ginger one is absolutely fantastic) which I have every day. Many evening, my DH and DS ask me to make ice cream, which is the easiest thing ever to make any variation. My usual is to cover the blades with natural yoghurt, then add frozen strawberries, a splash of vanilla extract and a little touch of suger (I don't always add sugar as we like the sharp, almost sorbet-like taste if you leave it out. Thirty seconds later you have two big bowls of very cheap, very tasty and fairly healthy ice cream.
I also use it frequently for chopping onions and making beautifully lump free cheese sauce, amongst many other jobs.
I know that it is difficult for many people to comprehend why anyone would spend that much on a blender, but it really isn't a gimic, and the warranty (mine is seven years) is brilliant.

Bought mine about four years ago and it has been fine (Vitamix 5000 if I remember correctly). Then I bought one for my daughter in law. That one broke and it went back. Idiots then sent it back to the original address rather than where they had picked it up from...their new address. Bet the new occupiers loved it. So had refund and then bought another.....that one then went within a few months. This time told them just wanted refund....they sent it back to my address 250 miles away!!! There's a pattern here. So I gave them mine.....and bought myself a Blendtec from Costco (online). Theirs is still going fine. Fantastic machine that actually fits under the kitchen cupboard... Love the smoothies the Vitamix makes and so so colourful, and the soups taste so much better, though took me a while to get used to them being smooth rather than the chunky ones I usually make.

Waring Megamix - £240

Rhino blender - £260

Add to that list for consideration..

http://www.omniblendkitchenblenders.co.uk/shop/

I think it's better by far than the ones you have listed but the Vita-Mix for me anyway,is the best.They've been around for a long time and a 7 year warranty is good. This one has an 8 year warranty I think.You won't go wrong with any of them but for build quality I take the Vita Mix.

Latest posts

Back