Coated Diamonds?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

P

PrincessRacer

Guest Shopper
Just wanted to pop a wee note on here about something vaguely related - forgive me if it is a little off topic with it not being about GTV, but it is about coated diamonds, and wanted to share.

I know that a lot of people have bought coloured diamonds from Rocks TV, and Alan was talking about treatments that can be applied to diamonds. He mentioned heat treating, and mentioned coating and said that coating isn't as hard wearing etc as heat treating. I asked in the Rocks Chat whether Rocks coloured diamonds are coated, and he told me CATEGORICALLY that they are not. They supply only heat treated diamonds.

Just wanted to put anyone's mind at rest in case you were wondering. I have some blue diamonds from the early days of Rocks, so I was after some re assurance about those!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to pop a wee note on here about something vaguely related - forgive me if it is a little off topic with it not being about GTV, but it is about coated diamonds, and wanted to share.

I know that a lot of people have bought coloured diamonds from Rocks TV, and Alan was talking about treatments that can be applied to diamonds. He mentioned heat treating, and mentioned coating and said that coating isn't as hard wearing etc as heat treating. I asked in the Rocks Chat whether Rocks coloured diamonds are coated, and he told me CATEGORICALLY that they are not. They supply only heat treated diamonds.

Just wanted to put anyone's mind at rest in case you were wondering. I have some blue diamonds from the early days of Rocks, so I was after some re assurance about those!

PR - you need to ask the question again because his answer is (a) incorrect and (b) misleading. Ask what treatment is applied to their coloured diamonds. Is it (1) irradiation or (2) HPHT (high pressure high temperature) or (3) something else. Normal heat will NOT produce colour in diamonds.

ooooo deja vu!!! Lol!!! This is from the big thumbs down thread in GTV, just in case anyone was wondering where it came from, and I asked Alan about it tonight...just to be sure!! lol!!!

He did mentione irradiated I seem to recall, but my memory is utter cack to be honest!!! If anyone else was in the Rocks Chat at the time, and can remember more clearly what Alan said, feel free to chime in!! Lol!!! I was more focused on him saying no to my coated diamonds question!!! :)

Hi, I asked very briefly recently in Rocks chat about their diamond treatments. The question was asked and Barry responded from off screen that the diaomonds were heat treated only.

Yeah, that's exactly what Alan told me yesterday too Tabs, so I am happy with that. Have to say, Rocks have always been really forthcoming about that kind of info, telling us when they are showing the item that they are heat treated, or coated or whatever.

Yeah, that's exactly what Alan told me yesterday too Tabs, so I am happy with that. Have to say, Rocks have always been really forthcoming about that kind of info, telling us when they are showing the item that they are heat treated, or coated or whatever.

If i remember rightly Sarah was presenting when i asked, i commented re coatings and also said "we don't mind coatings as long as we know they are coated before we purchase" and Sarah agreed.

I agree too Tabs. If I know something is coated, then it is my choice to buy it knowing that. It's when they try and hide it that I get upset!

Sorry guys but you can't get coloured diamonds from just heat treating. This is nonsense. Do an internet search and see for yourself.

I wouldn't buy coloured diamonds from a company that told me this rubbish.

Right - Carol has just said that their coloured diamonds are heat treated and she said that irradiation is heat treatment. It's not. Irradiation is treating with nuclear energy. To call it heating is wrong.

However she used the terms "radiation" and "heat" interchangeably. This is wrong and Rocks need to clarify. Rather than use a scientific explanation, here's something from Wikipedia:

Irradiation

Sir William Crookes, a gem connoisseur as well as a chemist and physicist, was the first to discover radiation's effects on diamond color when in 1904 he conducted a series of experiments using radium salts. Diamonds enveloped in radium salt slowly turned a dark green; this color was found to be localized in blotchy patches, and it did not penetrate past the surface of the stone. The emission of alpha particles by the radium was responsible. Unfortunately radium treatment also left the diamond strongly radioactive, to the point of being unwearable [2]. A diamond octahedron so treated was donated by Crookes to the British Museum in 1914, where it remains today: it has lost neither its color nor radioactivity.

Nowadays diamond is safely irradiated in four ways: proton and deuteron bombardment via cyclotrons; gamma ray bombardment via exposure to cobalt-60; neutron bombardment via the piles of nuclear reactors; and electron bombardment via Van de Graaff generators. These high-energy particles physically alter the diamond's crystal lattice, knocking carbon atoms out of place and producing color centers. Irradiated diamonds are all some shade of green, black, or blue after treatment, but most are annealed to further modify their color into bright shades of yellow, orange, brown, or pink. The annealing process increases the mobility of individual carbon atoms, allowing some of the lattice defects created during irradiation to be corrected. The final color is dependent on the diamond's composition and the temperature and length of annealing.

Cyclotroned diamonds have a green to blue-green color confined to the surface layer: they are later annealed to 800 °C to produce a yellow or orange color. They remain radioactive for only a few hours after treatment, and due to the directional nature of the treatment and the cut of the stones, the color is imparted in discrete zones. If the stone was cyclotroned through the pavilion (back), a characteristic "umbrella" of darker color will be seen through the crown (top) of the stone. If the stone was cyclotroned through the crown, a dark ring is seen around the girdle (rim). Stones treated from the side will have one half colored deeper than the other. Cyclotron treatment is now uncommon.

Gamma ray treatment is also uncommon, because although it is the safest and cheapest irradiation method, successful treatment can take several months. The color produced is a blue to blue-green which penetrates the whole stone. Such diamonds are not annealed. The blue color can sometimes approach that of natural Type IIb diamonds, but the two are distinguished by the latter's semiconductive properties. As with most irradiated diamonds, most gamma ray-treated diamonds were originally tinted yellow; the blue is usually modified by this tint, resulting in a perceptible greenish cast.

The two most common irradiation methods are neutron and electron bombardment. The former treatment produces a green to black color that penetrates the whole stone, while the latter treatment produces a blue, blue-green, or green color that only penetrates about 1 millimeter deep. Annealing of these stones (from 500–900 °C for neutron-bombarded stones and from 500–1200 °C for electron-bombarded stones) produces orange, yellow, brown, or pink. Blue to blue-green stones that are not annealed are separated from natural stones in the same manner as gamma ray-treated stones.

Prior to annealing, nearly all irradiated diamonds possess a characteristic absorption spectrum consisting of a fine line in the far red, at 741 nm — this is known as the GR1 line and is usually considered a strong indication of treatment. Subsequent annealing usually destroys this line, but creates several new ones; the most persistent of these is at 595 nm.

It should be noted that some irradiated diamonds are completely natural. One famous example is the Dresden Green Diamond. In these natural stones the color is imparted by "radiation burns" in the form of small patches, usually only skin deep, as is the case in radium-treated diamonds. Naturally irradiated diamonds also possess the GR1 line. The largest known irradiated diamond is the Deepdene.

I think its really hard to know what to say. My coloured diamond rings, blue and black 1 carat pave rings were bought well over a year ago now, and even if i wanted to send them back as "coated" diamonds i wouldn't have the proverbial leg to stand on. That said i do still love both my rings, and, if i ever choose to buy more coloured diamonds would do more research before i purchased knowing what we do now.

Thanks for the info Meesh :)

I assume the presenters are treating heat and irradiation as the same thing, however misinformed their terminology is. I was happy to hear that they don't coat anyway!

n xx

To be fair to them, if they tried to explain all that, I would switch off within about 50 seconds!! The little bit of info I have gleaned from my time on here is that heat and irradiated = not as fab as natural, but acceptable and cheaper; and coated = bad bad bad bad bad run away at all costs!! To be honest as long as I hear 'heated' or 'irradiated' I am a happy girl!! ...science never was my forte so I will let the experts worry about all that!!!

Also, is there any way that the big pointy down thumb could be removed from this thread?? My post was the first one on here, but I didn't actually start the thread, and as a good and very satisfied Rocks customer I wouldn't want them to think that I have started a negative thread where that isn't the case and I am not in the least dissatisfied with them or their information. I just wanted to pop on an update on a thread on the Gems section of the site (which does have the pointy down thumb) to say that Rocks don't sell coated diamonds.

Last edited:
Nikki - I understand your point BUT they should be giving ACCURATE information. Heat treatment is very very very different from an enhancing treatment. I'm sorry but this is unforgiveable. If, for example, you bought a coloured diamond believing it to be "heat treated" only and took it to a valuer who laughed in your face when you said that, how would you feel? How would you feel if they said "no, this is irradiated" - you'd feel cheated that you didn't know.

Tabs - please believe me when I say I'm almost 100% sure that the items you bought over a year ago will be irradiated - certainly nobody coats black diamonds because they're cheap as chips! It would be more expensive to do so. Coated diamonds are NOT usual or common. They are NOT in abundance in the UK. Having said all of that, I personally won't ever buy coloured diamonds from any of the UK TV/internet channels because they are being sold (and not testing) diamonds for treatments. I don't want to have to test everything myself so I will only buy from sources I trust from now on.

To be fair to them, if they tried to explain all that, I would switch off within about 50 seconds!! The little bit of info I have gleaned from my time on here is that heat and irradiated = not as fab as natural, but acceptable and cheaper; and coated = bad bad bad bad bad run away at all costs!! To be honest as long as I hear 'heated' or 'irradiated' I am a happy girl!! ...science never was my forte so I will let the experts worry about all that!!!

Also, is there any way that the big pointy down thumb could be removed from this thread??
My post was the first one on here, but I didn't actually start the thread, and as a good and very satisfied Rocks customer I wouldn't want them to think that I have started a negative thread where that isn't the case and I am not in the least dissatisfied with them or their information. I just wanted to pop on an update on a thread on the Gems section of the site (which does have the pointy down thumb) to say that Rocks don't sell coated diamonds.

I have sorted that for you. :)

It's all down to personal choice I guess. I am happy to trust that Rocks coloured diamonds are not coated, and that is the thing I am looking for. I have never had reason to disbelieve them as other items that I have purchased that have been valued have always come in surprisingly high! (my blue diamonds £300+ and my black diamonds £400+, both from safeguard) ...all the other stuff I buy is so bloomin cheap that a valuer would laugh in my face anyway for asking about it!!! :)

Hi Guys

As you are aware Steve is out of the country and I have been asked to post a comment
on this topic to clarify the situation here at Rocks TV.

As you are aware natural coloured diamonds are expensive and incredibly rare, The coloured diamonds we supply are irradiated to enhance colour and then Heated to ensure that colour is stable and permanent. None of the coloured diamonds at Rocks TV are coated!

We are in the process of introducing a treatments page to the website for ease of cross referencing and will be added to the website soon. If in the meantime you have any questions about gemstone treatments please feel free to email me directly on [email protected]

Tony

Latest posts

Back