gemsTV is the best for Freeview customers. Discuss!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

rocksandcofan

Registered Shopper
As I only have a freeview box :( I only get to see rocksandco (1-6pm), gemsTV (midnight to 2am), and TJC (midnight to 2am).

Of the 3, by far the best is gemsTV. :mysmilie_696: It feels to me the best of the bunch on freeview at the moment as it has a good range of jewels of differing types and prices, and I like the presenters I have seen so far. I also like the format of the show, and I like the music.

Some of you might say it is not gemsTV as you used to know it, well you might be right, but from my point of view as a Freeview patron, gemsTV is the best by far:mysmilie_82:

Even though my nickname suggests I am a rocksandco fan, that was more in the days when they had loads of presenters and had a more fun time in doing the shows, but these days rocksandco only really has vicky and the loony jerrilee, and repetitive jewels :( so rocksandco at the moment for me is not my number one on the Freeview platform. :mysmilie_34:

Having looked at TJC from time to time on Freeview I don't particularly like the way it is presented (thats just me) :( . Also I dont feel that TJC has as great a variety of jewels as gemsTV certainly in the slot I see it on at (midnight to 2am). So they have rocksanco former presenters John Scott and Stacey Ellis, but it still doesn't ring my bell as a Freeview customer. Carry on the good work gemsTV :mysmilie_82:

Sadly I find it's the quality of the jewellery at Gems TV that lets them down now days. I have purchased a lot from them in the past, but lately most of it has been sent back. I know they're now sources from various different suppliers. But some of the jewellery lately looks as if it has come out of a "Jamboree Bag" (if any of you are old enough to remember them)..

Sadly I find it's the quality of the jewellery at Gems TV that lets them down now days. I have purchased a lot from them in the past, but lately most of it has been sent back. I know they're now sources from various different suppliers. But some of the jewellery lately looks as if it has come out of a "Jamboree Bag" (if any of you are old enough to remember them)..

That's rather surprising. Were the jewels you bought in the "under £15" range, or were they more expensive items? I might have thought if it was say under £15 then it would be difficult to expect much for your money, but on the other hand if it is was more expensive jewelery then it would be rather worrying :(

No they were "middle of the road" prices, they looked just great on the web site, but when they turned up they were very poor quality. Those I could keep I gave away as Christmas presents. Nothing amongst them that I would've been happy wearing. Maybe they are just going through a bad patch. I will keep trying. I am currently buying most of my jewellery from TJC. They just seem to have the edge at the moment. Although like you I have been a fan of Rocks and Co for a a while now and I bought a great deal from them over the last year. So I Hope they get back on track soon. Can't afford the prices at the moment and am really bored with just two presenters !

Penny Pincher have you bought recently by any chance? I agree that 12 months ago, Gems did a very huge backwards slide in the quality of what was on offer and also in the product themselves. However, in the past week or so there have been some extraordinarily good deals just in terms of £ -v- carat weight. I stopped ordering about 18 months ago but have been tempted back. Just as an example these are items that I've either got on order or have arrived:-

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/Shop/productDataSheet.jsp?productid=UNB5192&menuselection=3&colourScheme=9 £90 - not to everyone's taste but it reminded me of a Stephen Webster design.

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/Shop/productDataSheet.jsp?productid=USA5857&menuselection=3&colourScheme=9 £369 - I'm waiting to get this one. It looked lovely and clean on air. It's a good price for the carat weight AND was on easy pay.

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/Shop/productDataSheet.jsp?productid=UWC8342&menuselection=3&colourScheme=9 £129 - I know that Anne bought this ages ago but I don't recall the price. Her photos of it were gorgeous.

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/Shop/productDataSheet.jsp?productid=UGK1625&menuselection=3&colourScheme=9 £115 - the prices says it all!!! Very cheap.

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/Shop/productDataSheet.jsp?productid=UQK8137&menuselection=3&colourScheme=9 £249 - again another good price.

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/Shop/productDataSheet.jsp?productid=UMM3604&menuselection=3&colourScheme=9 £154 AND over 5g of gold!

I do hope that this improvement in the jewellery on offers continues because it would be great to see GemsTV back to its former self.

All they need to do now is to get back to a decent presenting style because at the moment it's unwatchable.

All they need to do now is to get back to a decent presenting style because at the moment it's unwatchable.

On the positive side, the dreadful blaring music used during the sale has gone - that was truly truly awful and the presenters had to yell to be heard. I think the dire Klaxon has gone on the missing list too (please God).

The thing I miss is the presenters sitting down. All the pacing about, up to the camera, leaning over a desk, propping themselves up takes away from the jewellery and is distracting.

What I do like is the bit they've copied from TJC which is showing the items that are coming up. I think that's a great way to get people hooked.

In terms of the presenters themselves? Well, there's good and bad on each channel. If the jewellery is good I'll keep watching!

Well, if anyone was watching Scotty earlier today presenting and scoffing Lily O'Brien choccies........
(when he wasn't supposed to!), they couldn't have failed to be entertained!
:mysmilie_697:

I too hope the klaxon button has developed a permanent fault, but I watch for the jewellery and if the presenters are too loud, I reduce the volume.

Thanks for showing us your goodies above Meesh, they all look very very nice.....I hadn't seen the Opal/
P Tourmaline ring on again but agree it is lovely. Vicki showed us a couple of natural Purple Sapphires rings
late afternoon and the second was the pear shaped one. It went at the same price and if I still had
the unused 10% voucher .....I would've popped one in my basket......but I've already been a bit naughty
this month....................:mysmilie_17:

Any thoughts on the Black Star Sapphires, if you've seen any aired?

Sacha - isn't there still a 10% voucher somewhere? Was it on easy pay because that might soften the blow a bit?

Star sapphires? I like them. I am careful where I buy them because there are natural star sapphires and then ones that have had the stars put in them. I recall that GemsTV have said that theirs are natural and they do look like it. What does it say on the enhancement bit of the ring you've got? A great star sapphire will have 6 straight(ish) legs and be well centered. It will move with the light source but shouldn't be off centre (unless you don't mind that). Some star sapphires show their star in most lighting conditions and that's what you want. Others will only show it if you shine a bright light onto the gem - which for me defeats the object as you don't walk around with a torch strapped to your arm! :mysmilie_697: Hope that helps.

:mysmilie_687:
Many thanks for the above info. I asked because I recall you mentioning some time back that the 'stars' can be man made. No mention of any enhancement and as its a very pretty ring with good quality diamonds and a distinctive star in the right lighting I am very happy with it.

On the positive side, the dreadful blaring music used during the sale has gone - that was truly truly awful and the presenters had to yell to be heard. I think the dire Klaxon has gone on the missing list too (please God).

The thing I miss is the presenters sitting down. All the pacing about, up to the camera, leaning over a desk, propping themselves up takes away from the jewellery and is distracting.

What I do like is the bit they've copied from TJC which is showing the items that are coming up. I think that's a great way to get people hooked.

In terms of the presenters themselves? Well, there's good and bad on each channel. If the jewellery is good I'll keep watching!

For some reason, and maybe its just me (and probably is! :) ), I actually like the presenters getting up, sitting down and all the other variations already mentioned :mysmilie_696: - why? Simply because it's different to other more boring :( channels like TJC. Please don't get me wrong, the jewels on TJC are far from boring , it's simply the presenting style that seems somewhat stayed in its approach, so I say good on you gemsTV for being a bit (or a lot) different to other channels! :mysmilie_17:

The claxon I must admit is a stupid idea :mysmilie_73:, what a noise, and how annoying. :mysmilie_73: The gemsTV music I notice is still there, but the volume level has been turned down on it, or that's how it seems to me anyway.

It just goes to show that people get irritated by different things doesn't it?! :)

BTW the GemsTV music I can cope with ......... but the music during the sale was beyond awful. It was a combination of different tunes (can't remember what now) something like the music to the Bond films and it was yuck yuck yuck!

For some reason, and maybe its just me (and probably is! :) ), I actually like the presenters getting up, sitting down and all the other variations already mentioned :mysmilie_696: - why? Simply because it's different to other more boring :( channels like TJC. Please don't get me wrong, the jewels on TJC are far from boring , it's simply the presenting style that seems somewhat stayed in its approach, so I say good on you gemsTV for being a bit (or a lot) different to other channels! :mysmilie_17:

The claxon I must admit is a stupid idea :mysmilie_73:, what a noise, and how annoying. :mysmilie_73: The gemsTV music I notice is still there, but the volume level has been turned down on it, or that's how it seems to me anyway.

Sadly the presenters on GemsTV have been made to turn into what reminds me of the old Dutch Auctions you used to see in seaside towns. I watched Vicki Carr this afternoon and just hadf to switch off she was apalling.

They might have stopped the claxons and whistles, but they've still got the dreadful heartbeat sound, presumably as a ploy to worry people into buying more quickly.
I'm also sorry to see how all the presenters have been pushed into pressure selling mode, the whole atmosphere seems to have changed and I've never seen a smarmier presenter than the one on tonight, yuk!
Did just see a very pretty tanzanite ring though.

It just goes to show that people get irritated by different things doesn't it?! :)

BTW the GemsTV music I can cope with ......... but the music during the sale was beyond awful. It was a combination of different tunes (can't remember what now) something like the music to the Bond films and it was yuck yuck yuck!

Yes I must totally agree with you, that particular music was beyond a joke, it was dire :(, I was like you , I could not stand it at all, and hopefully that bit of music will have been sent to the recycle bin forever (hopefully). :)

By the way, would you agree, or disagree, that channels like gemsTV need to change their format from time to time to try and keep them fresh, or would u prefer them to be the same way forever? In my view I think its a bit of a bold attempt at trying something different, whether it works or not, only you and me and all other viewers will decide on that, and on whether it affects our buying habits as well , for better or for worse :mysmilie_687:

They might have stopped the claxons and whistles, but they've still got the dreadful heartbeat sound, presumably as a ploy to worry people into buying more quickly.
I'm also sorry to see how all the presenters have been pushed into pressure selling mode, the whole atmosphere seems to have changed and I've never seen a smarmier presenter than the one on tonight, yuk!
Did just see a very pretty tanzanite ring though.

Mmmm, bells, whistles, claxons, it does seem rather a lot of sound effects for one particular channel to bear :(, but it seems that gemsTV think it's a winning formula (or so they might think). Personally speaking I do like a bit of music, and a few well chosen sound effects, rather than say TJC which seems (to me) to be more like a library in terms of sounds / music. That's just my viewpoint. As I said elsewhere I having nothing against TJC jewels, its simply the presenting style I am commenting on.

Yes I did like the tanzanite you refer to, but then I would wouldn't I since tanzanite is my birthstone and also my favourite gem to boot! :mysmilie_374:

By the way, what do you mean by pressure selling? Do you mean the countdown timers?

rocksandcofan said:
Yes I must totally agree with you, that particular music was beyond a joke, it was dire :(, I was like you , I could not stand it at all, and hopefully that bit of music will have been sent to the recycle bin forever (hopefully). :)

By the way, would you agree, or disagree, that channels like gemsTV need to change their format from time to time to try and keep them fresh, or would u prefer them to be the same way forever? In my view I think its a bit of a bold attempt at trying something different, whether it works or not, only you and me and all other viewers will decide on that, and on whether it affects our buying habits as well , for better or for worse :mysmilie_687:

I think it is great for a channel to remain fresh, new set, new graphics etc. IMO what Gems are doing is trying to copy every other channel and in turn are losing their own identity. James Russell, well enough said, but GemsTV have some great presenters but I assume managment are forcing them into this new style.

Sack the MD and start again would be my advice to GemsTV.

Just guessing Graham but you don't seem to like GemsTV at the moment :)

I suspect for Graham it's who's behind the scenes (apart from one notable, if not noteworthy, presenter) that's the problem. Am I right, or am I right Graham :mysmilie_698: xxxx

argeybargey said:
I suspect for Graham it's who's behind the scenes (apart from one notable, if not noteworthy, presenter) that's the problem. Am I right, or am I right Graham :mysmilie_698: xxxx

IMO you are right:)

Latest posts

Back