Price Comparisons on Tanzanite??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

jacqualina

Registered Shopper
Just heard Rae talking about a beautiful tanzanite in a Lorique ring (white gold yet again, yellow gold lovers have been all but forgotten in this range) and then went on to price comparisons.
I do really like Rockstv, but the comparisons with their competitors are just getting silly. Her words:"Now, we've done a lot of research for this hour. We've veen comparing and contrasting a lot of price comparisons. Now, I can say to you that price per carat that we have found for this grade of tanzanite, this quality and that carat weight, looking at price per carat: $1,200 per carat."
Why not say where they have found this price, because I know for a fact that you can get tananite that is every bit as good, but with a proper IGI certificate, from TJC for an awful lot less than that. I'm sure they did find tanzanite at $1,200 a carat, but such a random comparison is surely completely pointless?
Having said all that, it was a beautiful tanzanite and it did go for a very good price, it's just the sales patter that irked me. Can you tell?

Yes J anyone can Google Tanzy prices and come up with daft sites esp in the US so why bother making it sound like research?

I know exactly what you mean Jacqualina, it really annoys me too. There's only one word for that kind of sales patter - PATHETIC!

Rae is on talking Rubbish overdrive, she has a new producer "Dan" who by what Rae is saying used to work with her at GensTV so she is taking a pop at GemsTV at every opportunity.

Thought Rae was bad at GemsTV but now she comes accross as so big headed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just heard Rae talking about a beautiful tanzanite in a Lorique ring (white gold yet again, yellow gold lovers have been all but forgotten in this range) and then went on to price comparisons.
I do really like Rockstv, but the comparisons with their competitors are just getting silly. Her words:"Now, we've done a lot of research for this hour. We've veen comparing and contrasting a lot of price comparisons. Now, I can say to you that price per carat that we have found for this grade of tanzanite, this quality and that carat weight, looking at price per carat: $1,200 per carat."
Why not say where they have found this price, because I know for a fact that you can get tananite that is every bit as good, but with a proper IGI certificate, from TJC for an awful lot less than that. I'm sure they did find tanzanite at $1,200 a carat, but such a random comparison is surely completely pointless?

Having said all that, it was a beautiful tanzanite and it did go for a very good price, it's just the sales patter that irked me. Can you tell?

Well......at the end of the day, that's what matters and most importantly that the buyer is delighted with
their purchase
. :smirk:

This is totally unprofessional. Yes, they may fool people who know nothing about Tanzanite but a simple look at TJC or GemsTV will show you that the price per carat FOR TOP GRADE Tanzanite (mounted in a setting) is around £300-350 per carat. Makes Rae look very stupid and this misleads the public.

I once saw a 2ct Emerald set in a Lorique setting sell for £4,000 on RocksTV! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw people in chat congratulating the buyer on a fantastic purchase. Poor sod. The Emerald was nice but not spectacular and the buyer (had they spent time looking) could have got the same carat weight, a better quality Emerald and better setting at TJC for £1,000-2,000.

They have a Celyon Saphaire coming up at the end of the hour that looks very pale, should Celyon Saphire be a lovely dark blue? The one I had was.

This is totally unprofessional. Yes, they may fool people who know nothing about Tanzanite but a simple look at TJC or GemsTV will show you that the price per carat FOR TOP GRADE Tanzanite (mounted in a setting) is around £300-350 per carat. Makes Rae look very stupid and this misleads the public.

I once saw a 2ct Emerald set in a Lorique setting sell for £4,000 on RocksTV! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw people in chat congratulating the buyer on a fantastic purchase. Poor sod. The Emerald was nice but not spectacular and the buyer (had they spent time looking) could have got the same carat weight, a better quality Emerald and better setting at TJC for £1,000-2,000.

Tis is just what i was thinking Meeshoo, it is totally out of order to mislead people like that! The bennetts go on about being a family business, can trust them more than other channels bla bla bla, yet they are behaving as bad, if not worse than other channels but saying things that deliberately mislead, and in steve bennetts case, things that are often completely untrue!
And as for the having a go at gemstv thing that Graham mentioned, can the bennetts not see how their staff doing that is unprofessional unprofessional unprofessional!
They always seem more than happy to have a pop at competitors, far more than i have heard from other channels infact!

Well......at the end of the day, that's what matters and most importantly that the buyer is delighted with
their purchase
. :smirk:

yes, this is important of course, but would they be as delighted with their purchase if they believe what Rae was saying, then later found they had infact paid far more than they needed to have done for tanzanite of that quality? That wouldn't be a problem IMO normally, as you buy not knowing other prices elsewhere, but if the presenter is deliberately misleading customers, THEN it does matter.

They have a Celyon Saphaire coming up at the end of the hour that looks very pale, should Celyon Saphire be a lovely dark blue? The one I had was.

Yes G. Again you're spot on. The words "Ceylon" and "Kashmir" are now used as sales terms instead of indicators of quality and colour. This article was written by Richard Hughes for Palagems and you can clearly see what beautiful gems they should be. It's very easy to get a blue sapphire and call it something romantic to sell it, the problem comes when poor customer goes to get it valued - it most definitely won't be coming back as the £ per carat that a great Ceylon or Kashmir Sapphire would.

http://www.palagems.com/sapphire_connoisseurship.htm

Meeshoo said:
Yes G. Again you're spot on. The words "Ceylon" and "Kashmir" are now used as sales terms instead of indicators of quality and colour. This article was written by Richard Hughes for Palagems and you can clearly see what beautiful gems they should be. It's very easy to get a blue sapphire and call it something romantic to sell it, the problem comes when poor customer goes to get it valued - it most definitely won't be coming back as the £ per carat that a great Ceylon or Kashmir Sapphire would.

http://www.palagems.com/sapphire_connoisseurship.htm

Feel quite proud now, it turns out to be Thai Sapphire just promoted for an hour as celyon lol

I was most alarmed at some of the things said in the Lorique hour - and am glad to see that I am not the only one who found some of the comparisons made utterly bizarre - with comparator costings seemingly plucked willy nilly off the web. No thought seemed to have been given to at the least finding stones from the same country let alone the same mine - An Indian Alexadrite ring had its main stoned costed against a larger Russian Alexandrite loose gem and the graphics being displayed didn't match the ring or the valuation card that was being presented by Rae. This was then followed by a sapphire ring being presented as ceylon when the colour seemed totally wrong.

Now reassured ..............

The only way to do comparisons is to have two gemstones, same carat weight, similar grade of cut and with coloured gemstones, the same colour, irrespective of locality to give a true comparison.

For example, a top notch Sapphire from, say, Thailand, can compete with Ceylons and Kashmirs BUT it must have the same qualities. At the end of the day, if everything is the same, the price should be too but then you put a premium on for locality.

Same for Alexandrites. I've seen awful Russian Alexandrites with little to no colour change and dreadful clarity. They can't compete in terms of cost against an Indian Alexandrite with strong colour change and great clarity.

So, unless the presenter and/or customer knows how to compare, comparisons are simply useless.

EDIT: Tell me RocksTV aren't trying to sell Alexandrite from Russia?????

Just seen a Lorique sapphire from Sri Lanka that was very very very grey toned - not desirable at all and the price? That was the first on-air mugging I think I've ever witnessed!

:)

poor sod yourself

I do not appreciate being called a poor sod meeshoo. I did my research before and after purchasing the ring you refer to, in the 30 days I had the ring examined and valued by Safeguard and was entirely satisfied with the evaluation. The emerald is a very good colombian stone and the considerable diamonds are excellent quality.
You come across as a know it all looking down your nose at people and their much loved purchases, not very attractive in my view. Do not refer to me or any of my future purchases again please, I know you have made a habit of watching Rocks chat anonymously but that does not mean that the rest of us are there as ourselves for you to snipe at.

Firstly I had no idea that it was you Briolette who bought the ring. You obviously use a different name on Rocks Chat and I don't spend enough time in there to be familiar with people's different names so I wasn't referring to you at all. I was referring to a purchase I had seen that, in my opinion, was not good value for money.

I stand by my comments that I feel you've overpaid and the Emerald, whilst ok, wasn't the best I've seen. That's my opinion and you can take it or leave it. I was sorry that you'd paid twice what you could have done. I know that I wouldn't want to pay 50% more for an item of jewellery that could be obtained elsewhere - and in my experience for a nicer gemstone - and if you look at TJC when they're selling Emeralds you can compare for yourself. I am not looking down my nose at you because quite frankly I don't know you.

What you have done with your last post however by criticising people's taste in settings is to look down YOUR nose at people's purchases. So you're doing exactly what you've accused me of. I didn't criticise your taste in jewellery at all. I simply said that I felt sorry for the person who paid way too much for a ring.

Just for the record I participate in Rocks Chat when I get a chance but quite frankly don't get the time to do so. I do not watch anonymously and even if I did, so what? People from Chat view these forums anonymously.

I'm sorry that my post upset you but I hate to see anybody pay more for jewellery than is necessary. Quite obviously you're happy with the price, the item etc etc and so that's what's important.

It is the safeguard valuation which is important and quite frankly I trust the experts to value my ring rather than a forum member. The evidence of the rings quality is in the safeguard valuation and the experts opinion, you are totally wrong about its worth. I have not commented adversely about anyone elses jewellery purchases, just some of the 'home designed' settings on here, my rings setting in my opinion is nicer and thats because it was my style and choice. What other people choose is entirely up to them.

It is the safeguard valuation which is important and quite frankly I trust the experts to value my ring rather than a forum member. The evidence of the rings quality is in the safeguard valuation and the experts opinion, you are totally wrong about its worth. I have not commented adversely about anyone elses jewellery purchases, just some of the 'home designed' settings on here, my rings setting in my opinion is nicer and thats because it was my style and choice. What other people choose is entirely up to them.

To be clear, I haven't valued your ring. I said the sale price was high. These are completely two different things. A valuation by Safeguard is based on replacement. Typically, for a good purchase, the insurance replacement will be 3 times the sales price. Don't take my word for that - ask in Rocks Chat and see typically what valuations have come back as.

I need to be clear that I have not criticised you in any way. I have not said anything about your taste or you personally. I simply feel that you've overpaid when comparing to what's available in the market place. Your setting was/is very pretty from what I remember of it. I wouldn't have the temerity to say that any of my settings or those of another forum members were better than anybody elses. It's down to personal taste and choice as it how much they pay for something. I hope (genuinely) that you get many years of pleasure from your ring as clearly you love it. Emeralds are gorgeous gemstones and I'm sure it draws a great number of compliments.

Latest posts

Back