What would make you buy from Gemporia again?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Must admit I do like a silver setting for jewellery.
Is it the silver you like, or the colour (as opposed to gold, etc)?

I prefer silver over gold, but if I had a choice of stainless steel over silver, I'd probably pick stainless steel because its maintenance free.

What I dislike about Silver is that it tarnishes so quickly - and if you forget to change the anti-tarnish strips every six months (yes, they only last six months - which Gemporia also don't tell people), then silver can quickly oxidise and go black.

Its annoying.

I prefer silver over gold, but if I had a choice of stainless steel over silver, I'd probably pick stainless steel because its maintenance free.

What I dislike about Silver is that it tarnishes so quickly - and if you forget to change the anti-tarnish strips every six months (yes, they only last six months - which Gemporia also don't tell people), then silver can quickly oxidise and go black.

Its annoying.
You might want to get a Lori Greiner anti tarnish jewellery box. QVC used to do them but only in the USA now so you have to look on ebay for a bargain. They are a game changer. If pieces go in clean they stay clean. They actually do live up to the hype!

Are you talking about the small, black squares in the plastic bags? I was wondering what they are for!
Yeah. They're anti-tarnish tabs. They begin to wear out after 6 months to the point where eventually they become ineffective.

If you store silver jewellery for a long period of time, buy some strips from eBay, and replace your old ones every 6 months :D

You might want to get a Lori Greiner anti tarnish jewellery box. QVC used to do them but only in the USA now so you have to look on ebay for a bargain. They are a game changer. If pieces go in clean they stay clean. They actually do live up to the hype!

Worth knowing. Thanks!

Gemporia used to do something similar a few years ago - but they've not been on for a looooong time now.

Its annoying.
It's the colour I prefer, - to me silver seems to emphasise the colour of most gemstones better than gold and a silver pendant, for example, sets off the colour of clothing, whether the top it's worn against is a dark or light colour. On the same principle, although I don't dislike items made from yellow or rose gold, I prefer white gold as a setting. Amazingly, I've got some pendants bought from Gemporia well over 15 years ago that I've never had to clean and no visible signs of tarnish on them, in spite of being taken out and worn regularly! They are ones made of very heavy weights of silver, likewise a wide silver bracelet I've had for donkey's years: it's Victorian, so not Gemporia (although I think Dave Troth's been giving us lectures since the 1870's hasn't he, so maybe it could be)? It was passed down the family. Only care I give them is keeping in separate containers, wiping over with a soft microfibre cloth now and again and checking the clasps/settings occasionally. Don't know if the weight of the silver makes any difference?

Last edited:
It's the colour I prefer, - to me silver seems to emphasise the colour of most gemstones better than gold and a silver pendant, for example, sets off the colour of clothing, whether the top it's worn against is a dark or light colour. On the same principle, although I don't dislike items made from yellow or rose gold, I prefer white gold as a setting. Amazingly, I've got some pendants bought from Gemporia well over 15 years ago that I've never had to clean and no visible signs of tarnish on them, in spite of being taken out and worn regularly! They are ones made of very heavy weights of silver, likewise a wide silver bracelet I've had for donkey's years: it's Victorian, so not Gemporia (although I think Dave Troth's been giving us lectures since the 1870's hasn't he, so maybe it could be)? It was passed down the family. Only care I give them is keeping in separate containers, wiping over with a soft microfibre cloth now and again and checking the clasps/settings occasionally. Don't know if the weight of the silver makes any difference?
Will be interesting to find out.

Don't know if the weight of the silver makes any difference?

It shouldn't do. Tarnishing is simply oxidisation of the surface.

However, the quality of the silver might make a difference. I suspect that years ago, Gemporia used 'new' Sterling Silver - whereas these days, I suspect that in order to cut costs, they might use 'recycled' Sterling Silver.

I'm only guessing though.

However, the quality of the silver might make a difference. I suspect that years ago, Gemporia used 'new' Sterling Silver - whereas these days, I suspect that in order to cut costs, they might use 'recycled' Sterling Silver.
What does the "new silver" mean? Raw silver sourced directly from the mine? Silver granulate that was never used before? Newly produced silver supplies for the silversmiths?

What is "recycled silver"? Does it come from melted down jewellery or industrial elements? Is "recycled silver" weaker than "new silver"? How is it possible?

I wonder if Gemporia's sterling silver is truly 925. Usually their silver settings weigh less than 7.78 grams and they're not hallmarked by the Assay Office. It means that they may be, in fact, less pure than declared.

What is "recycled silver"? Does it come from melted down jewellery or industrial elements? Is "recycled silver" weaker than "new silver"? How is it possible?

Yes, recycled silver is jewellery that has been cashed in for scrap, then melted down and reused.

By 'new' silver, I mean 'normal' silver that hasn't been recycled.

It shouldn't do. Tarnishing is simply oxidisation of the surface.

I'm only guessing though.
Aha! I never even thought of recycled Sterling Silver! But of course, it's cheaper so that's probably the answer. Thanks very much for the info. When you think how it's not too long ago that Gemporia were proudly telling us to chuck out our costume jewellery and that 'brass and glass' were the Devil Incarnate you realise how much things have changed on all fronts. Still, if they hadn't we would never have glimpsed those beautiful(?) sculptures...would we (not to mention the glass figures which were the epitome of good taste - I still have nightmares about the giraffe one).

Aha! I never even thought of recycled Sterling Silver! But of course, it's cheaper so that's probably the answer. Thanks very much for the info. When you think how it's not too long ago that Gemporia were proudly telling us to chuck out our costume jewellery and that 'brass and glass' were the Devil Incarnate you realise how much things have changed on all fronts. Still, if they hadn't we would never have glimpsed those beautiful(?) sculptures...would we (not to mention the glass figures which were the epitome of good taste - I still have nightmares about the giraffe one).
The ironic thing is, most of their jewellery now is no better than costume jewellery. Filled stones in plating. Urgh!

The 'brass and glass' thing was always a load of nonsense too. While they were telling us they don't sell brass and glass, they were flogging 'Roman Glass' on Gem Collector (and, for a short period, in jewellery on Gems TV too).

Hattie's Destello brooches and pendants were coated brass too.

They've always been hypocritical and contradictory. They used to tell us not to buy synthetic gemstones and that they 'cost pennies to make' - then they started flogging synthetic diamonds on JM and, lo and behold, they were the best thing since sliced bread.

Latest posts

Back