Jan Springer and Pipa

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bea Frugal

Registered Shopper
These two were oohing and aahing over a highly polished gold bangle, about 1.9cm wide and priced at £438.75. 'Could you have it engraved?' asked Pipa and Jan looked doubtful and had to say no, 'because it's too thin.' Great. For once she spoke the truth.

I must say some of these guest experts do annoy me. They seem happy to take qvc's dollar in return for gushing about items that are often mediocre in the extreme. If Springer is really such a gold whizz then she should not sell herself short like this.

Another one who comes to mind is Laurie Wickwire, the American who guests on some diamond shows. She's a lovely smiley lady (unlike Ms. Springer, who appears to suffer from terminal depression) and she enthuses so much about poor jewellery. Yet she has a fab website selling real quality, expensive stuff and imo shouldn't devalue herself for a few extra quid and a bit of publicity. Just my opinion.

I have mixed feelings about this Bea Frugal! I don't mind having the 'expert' on a jewellery show because both they and we know there is better stuff out there, but we still get a bit of info from them. But I think this worked better when prices for cheaper jewellery (9ct gold and lower grade diamonds) were much more reasonable than they are at present. We have always known that there is better jewellery out there and qvc are bringing us more affordable versions... so far so good... but when 9ct gold becomes so flamin' expensive, it's much harder to stomach an 'expert' waxing lyrical about how great it is!!

You make some good points Mariecat and in the main I don't disagree. We and they do know better stuff is around and we do pick up some interesting info now and then. Still, though, not everyone is aware of what they are buying into and sometimes these experts are misleading. I think I'm probably just a grumpy old woman at heart suffering from qvc fatigue. As you say, these issues are probably less relevant with the price of gold sky high - not really the time to buy. If people really want value they should look to antique jewellery and auction rooms.

If people have been trained and have worked with very high-grade jewellery and techniques, then I feel they can't really like the kind of tinny 9ct jewellery that is often sold on QVC.
Jan Springer, I notice has the most spectacular gold and diamond pendant like a noughts and crosses game. It is beautiful and I'm sure a one-off piece. I am sure she cannot love all these inferior pieces she raves about. Pipa is a trendy type and classic fine jewellery - IMO - is not her thing at all. Gary Rockman is another one. He has a very up-market jewellery shop selling expensive items. Again I cannot believe he rates this kind of tat.
I feel more than a little patronised in these jewellery shows.

Of course, neither of these guest presenters would give QVC jewellery house room but they will rave over it if paid enough. Tbh Gary Rockman reminds me of a typical second hand car salesman, the type who will say anything to shift merchandise.

Another one who comes to mind is Laurie Wickwire, the American who guests on some diamond shows. She's a lovely smiley lady (unlike Ms. Springer, who appears to suffer from terminal depression) and she enthuses so much about poor jewellery. Yet she has a fab website selling real quality, expensive stuff and imo shouldn't devalue herself for a few extra quid and a bit of publicity. Just my opinion.

Hi Y'all,
I would not be so quick in saying a lovely lady.. Take it from me that this woman is a total fake.. all her stories about her life and her business affairs do not add up.. divorced twice and the SS removed her children from her.. hardly shouts "She's a lovely woman". Dealings with her in the past have proven actions of a crook that can paint a picture over everyones eyes with a wide teethy smile and a pat on the back but in reality she is no better than those found out and are already locked up. Time will tell and truth will have it's day.. Only stating facts... :clock:

Latest posts

Back