Flower Power

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ERICS MUM

Registered Shopper
After extensive searching on the web and logging the question on various RJ blogs, contact pages and questions on the QVC question board, I still cannot find out the N:p:K ratio of Flower Power.

Could someone who has bought it spare 5 mins to check the ratio for me please - it's usually shown on the back of plant food packs . I'd be very grateful.

I'm trying to find out how much better it is than other flower-boosting feed such as rose or tomato fertiliser.

Thanks

Linda xx

Perhaps you could ring in and ask him live on air. I wonder if he would know the answer?

I've got some but I had to put it in another container because the packet ripped. I will say you can't use it without using gloves because it stains the skin.

[QUOTE=Mam;469487]NPK on the back of the packet says 12-12-36. Let us know if this is better or worse than the others out there.[/QUOTE]

I've just bought some el cheapo liquid feed which says 5-5-5 on the back, if that means anything to you.

I tried the Flower Power in the large bucket when it was a TSV last year and I can't say I really noticed any difference to usual liquid feed. It's also a bit of a pain mixing it up, stirring it to dissolve and it can stain the leaves on some plants. Also as already stated, it does stain your fingers. I think I'm sticking with liquid tomato feed this year.

I went to a large garden centre a couple of weeks ago and was mesmerised by the huge display of different plant feeds so I asked a lady nearby who was watering plants, which one would be best for my standard bay trees. Her reply was:- "a good tomato feed is all any plant needs, it's all marketing - but I didn't just tell you that".

RJ flower power is nearly 20 quid for a 75g pouch delivered. I paid £2 for half a litre of concentrated tomato feed.

which? reccomend phosphrogen and b&q all purpose plant food (boxed). the B&Q one i have been using for the second year and i have magnificent results.

the ratio is 15:5:26 and its around £3.60 for a kilo lasts me all summer and the following spring.
i also alternate and use doff tomato food a £1 from the pound shop for all my bedding.

the flowering shrubs i use growmore or fish bone and blood as a top dressing every 3months during the growing season.

the 99p shop has miracle grow root booster so will use that in my containers this summer.
i am really shocked that qvc can justify flower power prices..:thinking:

Thanks Boffy - I never thought of using which? for stuff like this

gardening which? specifically for gardening. saved me a fortune over the years.they test composts,different plant varieties and fertiliser.
you can go to the library and have a read..

I use chicken manure pellets around my borders etc. it does whiff a bit but keeps the cats off. And I use liquid tomato food for my tubs and hanging baskets.

I'm currently doing my own little trial of Flower Power against Miracle Gro, I'll let you know how it goes. So far it hasn't shown huge differences but time will tell.

its a good idea dipper.
years ago which? would reccomend miracle grow but not so much now.
they seem to be going in favour of more pottasium (potash) rich plant feeds.
the b&q one is very high in potash so is phosphrogen.
it will be interesting to see what results you have.

which? reccomend phosphrogen and b&q all purpose plant food (boxed). the B&Q one i have been using for the second year and i have magnificent results.

the ratio is 15:5:26 and its around £3.60 for a kilo lasts me all summer and the following spring.
i also alternate and use doff tomato food a £1 from the pound shop for all my bedding.

the flowering shrubs i use growmore or fish bone and blood as a top dressing every 3months during the growing season.

the 99p shop has miracle grow root booster so will use that in my containers this summer.
i am really shocked that qvc can justify flower power prices..:thinking:

Which? is brilliant, isn't it? I decided to follow their advice on compost this year, and I've seen a massive difference in the seedlings I've potted on. Will definitely try the B&Q plant food this year. :handshake:

As a keen gardener now, I've learnt more from reading these today than I have ever watching Richard Jackson! :clapping:

I went to a large garden centre a couple of weeks ago and was mesmerised by the huge display of different plant feeds so I asked a lady nearby who was watering plants, which one would be best for my standard bay trees. Her reply was:- "a good tomato feed is all any plant needs, it's all marketing - but I didn't just tell you that".

That isn't strictly true.
Tomato food is is the best thing for encouraging flowering & fruiting in plants as it contains high levels of potassium.
But for plants grown mainly for leaf, like bay or non flowering house plants, you get stronger growth using one that's more nitrogen based.

For fruiting crops like tomatoes I use a balanced feed early on to encourage strong growth then switch to tomato food when they reach the flowering stage to encourage heavy cropping.

breeze is right. tomato food is great for flowering and fruiting but the leaves,roots and shoots need feeding to.

flower power is a good feed but i would imagine you can get just as good results cheaper.

i was using a compost for years that was literally killing my plants.

bought which best buy compost and seed compost and my plants are not dying and are better than ever.

I like to use slow release pelleted feed on my plants. This year I've been using Doff organic slow release pellets (npk = 8, 8, 8, about £1.20 for a 500g sachet) and the results have been good. However now my roses are producing buds, I've been thinking about switching to something a bit higher in potassium. My plants seem to be doing well on it at the moment, and I've gotten a lot of compliments on my tulips. I must be doing something right then! :happy:

That isn't strictly true.
Tomato food is is the best thing for encouraging flowering & fruiting in plants as it contains high levels of potassium.
But for plants grown mainly for leaf, like bay or non flowering house plants, you get stronger growth using one that's more nitrogen based.

For fruiting crops like tomatoes I use a balanced feed early on to encourage strong growth then switch to tomato food when they reach the flowering stage to encourage heavy cropping.

I'd also like to add that different plants require different amounts of food. Orchids and cacti require only tiny amounts of highly diluted feed, for example. Some plants that are adapted to poor soils (such as venus fly traps) can actually die from being fertilised. In such cases tomato feed will not be suitable for every plant.

Latest posts

Back