Am I In A Pickle, Or Am I In A Pickle...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BusyMum

Registered Shopper
It's one of those days...there I am busying about (being BusyMum for once!) and taking a tea break with a Rocky caramel biscuit - crunch, crunch, one bit of a back tooth broken off, but worse than that, one of my front teeth has to be covered in filling material because of discolouration, well half of that's also come off, plus the bottom edge looks as though it's broken too, and feels sharp..oh I went thru my repertoire of naughty words I can tell you! Fortunately, when all the dentists got their contracts changed and we couldn't afford to go to ours any more (after 30 odd years), we decided to go onto Denplan and found a good one locally - anyway, rang up and I have to go at ten-to-two - she'll be able to sort out the broken edge no doubt, but not the filling bit, and I'm out for lunch with the girls on Monday - shan't be able to smile! I'm not a person who is over-fond of visiting dentists either, I gag as soon as she looks at me, but I was pleased enough to be told I could get in this afternoon! Remind me, no more Rocky biscuits!!:sad::sad:

I sympathise BM.

I still have broken teeth from four years ago and haven't been to get them sorted (I'm with Denplan but have had a couple of years of not going out due to anxiety attacks, very severe ones). I've broken teeth on cornflakes (Kellogg's) and pastry before now.

My teeth have caused me no end of grief over the years so my sympathies Carol.
At 11 a dentist filled a tooth with an abscess lurking in the root & I was almost a goner.
At 13 I broke my jaw & a cyst formed in the break giving me a jaw like Quasimodo. A gifted dentist lifted my 3 of my bottom teeth to remove the cyst which was the size of a pigeon's egg. Amazingly, I've still got those lifted teeth!
Three of my wisdom teeth were impacted.
I suppose you could say Thank God for dentists!

At 11 a dentist filled a tooth with an abscess lurking in the root & I was almost a goner.
At 13 I broke my jaw & a cyst formed in the break giving me a jaw like Quasimodo. A gifted dentist lifted my 3 of my bottom teeth to remove the cyst which was the size of a pigeon's egg. Amazingly, I've still got those lifted teeth!

God I feel a bit woozy at the thought of all that

I sympathise BM.

I still have broken teeth from four years ago and haven't been to get them sorted (I'm with Denplan but have had a couple of years of not going out due to anxiety attacks, very severe ones). I've broken teeth on cornflakes (Kellogg's) and pastry before now.

Oh crikey..sorry to hear about your anxiety attacks Jan, I do suffer anxiety & depression but not so bad as to keep me in, I do feel for you and hope things will improve for you soon..

What with my teeth & fingernails crumbling & breaking I think I'm just about ready for the knackers yard, it's such a bugger when you're a dental-phobe too! My old one used to give me a couple of Valium at one time..one the night before and one on the morning of my visit, but they didn't do much! I'm better than I used to be years ago - someone had to take me or I wouldn't have gone - but I don't relish the thought at all, and when you start gagging the minute they get their hand near your mouth, well it's so embarrassing too!

Are you the Jan with an Aug 30 birthday? If so, we share it - you have a thread started by PPC in case you haven't seen it..but if it's not you, ignore that bit!

Well you've been thru the mill haven't you Min! Ooh, the thought of the abscess! I used to get them regularly but when my face swelled up with it, the pain went, it was only when I read that they could cause brain damage that I went to the dentist! Um, perhaps that explains me..!! I should never have got thru all you have had to have done, but yes, thank God there are people who can help!

All done & dusted - she did the whole job while I was there so I'm well pleased I'm able to smile again!

That's good.
Reward yourself, you were a good girl .... but not with a Rocky caramel biscuit!

Well you've been thru the mill haven't you Min! Ooh, the thought of the abscess! I used to get them regularly but when my face swelled up with it, the pain went, it was only when I read that they could cause brain damage that I went to the dentist! Um, perhaps that explains me..!! I should never have got thru all you have had to have done, but yes, thank God there are people who can help!

Only ever had that one, but because of the filling there was no escape route for the .... nasty.
I don't remember any of it as I was was so ill.

Sorry you ladies are suffering so much with your teeth. One pain I cannot hack is toothache!!!!

My old dentist Mr.Smith used to just fill without pain numbing!!!! He said by the time the injection work he would have it done. Actually I get bruising on my face from the injections usually.

Sorry you ladies are suffering so much with your teeth. One pain I cannot hack is toothache!!!!

My old dentist Mr.Smith used to just fill without pain numbing!!!! He said by the time the injection work he would have it done. Actually I get bruising on my face from the injections usually.

don't even go there Donna! My old one (also a Mr Smith!) said he'd do a quick filling while I was on my check-up appt, without anaesthetic - oh buggery ouch..never again! I hate the "fat lip" feeling and not being able to drink a cuppa for a couple or three hours but that's preferable for me after my one experience!

Lol I take two paracetamol before I go - hygienist or dentist
.... or doctor
.... or hospital visit
HECK! Before I go anywhere that could be dicey really.

Glad your teef are fixed! I hate dental procedures.

I'm firmly with you on that one Lilo - the only person I know who doesn't really mind going to the dentist is my OH, but when we had to leave our old dentist he tried a new NHS one, went just the once and said he was never going back - she actually hurt him just doing S & P and he thought he was going to drown with all the water in his mouth - she must've been bad!

Oh crikey..sorry to hear about your anxiety attacks Jan, I do suffer anxiety & depression but not so bad as to keep me in, I do feel for you and hope things will improve for you soon..

What with my teeth & fingernails crumbling & breaking I think I'm just about ready for the knackers yard, it's such a bugger when you're a dental-phobe too! My old one used to give me a couple of Valium at one time..one the night before and one on the morning of my visit, but they didn't do much! I'm better than I used to be years ago - someone had to take me or I wouldn't have gone - but I don't relish the thought at all, and when you start gagging the minute they get their hand near your mouth, well it's so embarrassing too!

Are you the Jan with an Aug 30 birthday? If so, we share it - you have a thread started by PPC in case you haven't seen it..but if it's not you, ignore that bit!

Yes BM that would be me, so Happy Belated Birthday to You. I hadn't seen the thread but will go and look now, thank you.

Glad you're sorted now.

I have Valium and a med called Half Inderal LA for my panic attacks, can't say they've worked miracles though. The only time I went out after 14 months of not going out the door was to see the doctor. Previously I'd been on Prozac and Seroxat (not at the same time) but they stopped being helpful and I was suicidal.

My sympathies to all in this thread, I think dentists were invented as a curse, LOL, once they get their hands on your teeth they seem to break and disintegrate!

Latest posts

Back