I'm going to buy less from these channels, I promise!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Ok, this month, I've already done it. I've bought a Yarvik tablet for OH's birthday. It was £89.99 and on 4 easy pays, that's what sold it to me. I don't know if I've done the right thing here 'cause it's only 4gb, but they did say it's got an expansion slot. Also the book reader on this is Kindle, OH loves kindle, he's had two but has managed to step on, and break two. I let him have my Kobo reader 'cause when I bought my Blackberry tablet that had a Kobo reader on it too. He says he doesn't really get on with it. So hopefully, the kindle app on the Yarvik will do the trick. I know I could have bought him another kindle,but this seemed a good deal...so fingers crossed here!

The other thing I bought was a vase with a dragon on it. My best mate is dragon crazy,and when I saw that, I knew it'd be ideal. I bought it from price dropper who's p&p is £2 cheaper than the other channels, I also bought a large set of lock n lock style containers for £9.99 (about the going rate in town for that sort of thing) and a cheapo watch for work £1.99 as I've lost my other one. That the trouble I find, the vase was £14.99 which is fine, but adding the p&p would have made it over £20 which is not so fine, so I felt I had to buy another couple of items to justify the postage and packaging costs as online, they charge per order, not per item. In the past I have found myself bumping an order up with absolute crap just so's I can qualify for free P&P, 'cause unless the item is heavy or bulky, I am not happy about paying £7.99 or whatever in postage.

I've really got to stop watching, but it's so watchable, the tactics, the ridiculousness that comes out of the presenter's mouths, the wonderful Wayne, some of the hideous tat that is so laughable!

Forgot to say...The dragon vase is absolutely beautiful, not to my taste, but beautifully made, and does look a lot more expensive than £14.99!

Anyway, back to business, any tips to stop me wasting my money with this bunch of crooks?

I watch, but I'm never tempted to buy. If rarely something does catch my eye, I hunt around and invariably find a cheaper alternative elsewhere. I wouldn't give them a penny of my money because I feel they treat their customers with contempt. A channel that sells such a thing as Worry Angels has sunk about as low as it's possible to get imo.

I watch, but I'm never tempted to buy. If rarely something does catch my eye, I hunt around and invariably find a cheaper alternative elsewhere. I wouldn't give them a penny of my money because I feel they treat their customers with contempt. A channel that sells such a thing as Worry Angels has sunk about as low as it's possible to get imo.

I totally agree with you, I wish I could be more principled!

merryhone, it's your £££. You don't have to justify to anyone what you buy at Bid!

do not be to hard on yourself

the yarvik was a decent price basically what it would be elsewhere give or take a £1

and agree with greg if you like the product and the price is at least competitive with elsewere then buy it

do not be to hard on yourself

the yarvik was a decent price basically what it would be elsewhere give or take a £1

The Yarvik products tend to be decent offers, if you research their compatibility.

I would question Esther's claim that the 7" model is compatible with Sky Go as she claimed, the icon she pointed to was the Sky+ app. They are two very different apps.

There are barely any Android tablets compatible with Sky Go, and certainly not £90 products made by companies like Yarvik.

there is a work around to use it on a yarvik on any device that is not supported wirral

you are however correct that it is not supported as of yet

there is a work around to use it on a yarvik on any device that is not supported wirral

you are however correct that it is not supported as of yet

So basically yet another lie, even more worrying it's a lie being told by a so called Yarvik 'expert'. Quite disgusting.

Mark Ryes regularly claimed you can download shows from iPlayer for later viewing, even when you haven't got a WiFi connection.

You can't, on any Android device.

Last edited:
i would agree it is not great but it is quite a simple fix around

having watched the tablet "expert" on ideal world esther is a saint compared to some of the claims there

I didn't mean to come across as judgmental Merryone and re reading my post it sounds a bit that way! Sorry! By the sounds of it you shop from Bid very cannily. The problem is I suspect others may not be as circumspect as you are. I've got visions of the elderly and confused bulk buying Worry Angels and crappy 'quality' Tanzanite etc etc. This business of selling at a higher price on the tv than on their website is also pretty disgusting. There's so many aspects of Bid that bother me I could go on and on but it's all been said before and a lot of it by your good self! xx

the red sexy shoe fragrance just sold with peter for £19.99 (same as web price + call cost obviously)

he sold most of his stock at £25.99 and £22.99 and said which looked like being correct they could have easily sold the lot at £25.99

merryhone, it's your £££. You don't have to justify to anyone what you buy at Bid!

Of course you're right....but I can't even justify it to myself, and that's the problem!! Like PP said, the company has utter contempt for the customers, sell absolute crap, they don't play fair, and seem to go to painstaking lengths in which to find ways to flout the rules and get away with it!

I do think I am seeing the light (a bit) This month's purchases were both impulse buys, and whilst with the Yarvik only time will tell, but the dragon vase is amazing and solved a birthday gift which is normally a problem as she's quite difficult to buy for! However if like the last couple of months the choice of stuff stays at this all time low...loads of gardening sh*te, and plastic egg boilers then my money's safe!

..I guess if I was that principled in what I believe I wouldn't eat meat...but I do! Oh, and PP, I didn't see your comment as judgemental at all...It helped open my eyes a bit. Yes, I am lucky I'm not in debt because of these channels, and I'm sure some people are, but I do need to keep an eye on things x

Last edited:
I am never tempted with anything so my ££'s are safe. If ever I was tempted, I would remember this latest voucher scam that they so kindly gave away.

As has been said Merry, it is your money and you can spend it how and with whom you like.

They still 'have lots of buyers coming in'

I do the same for any shopping channel item I like the look of, google it & 95% of the time watch that TV on screen price melt down to what it sells for in the real world at a genuinely realistic price.
If it's not cheaper, (QVC do cracking Elemis daily deals sometimes & cosmetics sets from top brands that can't be beaten), then I decide if I really want it & if so cave in & buy from the channel, safe in the knowlege I got the best price I could find.

Why people who are internet literate don't price check, (not saying anyone on here doesn't but a lot don't), is beyond me. Shopping telly is there to make as much money as possible out of anyone & everyone they can.

Last edited:
I was going to buy the yarvik tablet when I saw it was easy pay but my partner reminded me that the HMV stores that are closing are selling their tablets at mostly half price. I ended up buying the yarvik tablet from them (£49 I think it was). I get a bit claustrophobic in big crowds but I braved the one at HMV which was chaos (people where actually crawling under the display bins/stack things). I hadn't heard of yarvilk before but I have to say its a really nice quality item.

The Yarvik products tend to be decent offers, if you research their compatibility.

I would question Esther's claim that the 7" model is compatible with Sky Go as she claimed, the icon she pointed to was the Sky+ app. They are two very different apps.

There are barely any Android tablets compatible with Sky Go, and certainly not £90 products made by companies like Yarvik.

To my knowledge wirral, Sky Go is only compatible with iphone and ipad etc. The only thing you can get of Sky's via the Android system is the mobile version of their webpage (sports news) and the ability to link to your Sky+ box so you can program it to record programmes while you are out.

Sky seem to have no interest in the Android market customers even though there are more of us than on the iphone/pad network :angry:

To my knowledge wirral, Sky Go is only compatible with iphone and ipad etc. The only thing you can get of Sky's via the Android system is the mobile version of their webpage (sports news) and the ability to link to your Sky+ box so you can program it to record programmes while you are out.

Sky seem to have no interest in the Android market customers even though there are more of us than on the iphone/pad network :angry:

Sky Go is now available on a limited number of Android devices from HTC, Samsung, LG, Nexus, Sony and Motorola.

But certainly not Yarvik!

http://help.sky.com/tv/sky-tv-on-other-devices/sky-go-supported-devices

Let us know if the Yarvik turns out to be any good. Loads of the shopping channels do tablets now, so it would be interestesting to see how Yarvik compares.

Latest posts

Back