Air raid siren

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

D

Disenchanted

Guest Shopper
Did anyone else in the London region hear the air raid siren that was sounded about five minutes ago at 8.30 am?

I was born after the war but recognised the terrifying wail from films and news reels. It's quite windy here this morning so the sound might have carried some distance.

My goodness Dis, it would have scared me to death! I remember some years ago there was a sound like that and it went on and on, DD was about 5 and in school, I was at work, and I was petrified that it was the 4 minute warning or something - never did find out what it was all about! Awful awful sound tho and enough to put the fear of God in you!

We have them sounding every week in Plymouth, because of all the nuclear submarines there.

They test them weekly at the same time, but if they come on at a different times all the people near the subs have to swallow an anti-radiation pill and possibly evacuate the area as well (I don't know all the details as I live about 7 miles away from the subs)'

I've just been checking the internet and there was an anniversary service held yesterday at the Stairway to Heaven memorial to those who died at Bethnal Green underground station in March 1943. It was the worst civilian disaster of WW2.

Perhaps the sounding of the siren is something to do with that because as far as I know there are no nuclear subs in these parts.....

We have them sounding every week in Plymouth, because of all the nuclear submarines there.

They test them weekly at the same time, but if they come on at a different times all the people near the subs have to swallow an anti-radiation pill and possibly evacuate the area as well (I don't know all the details as I live about 7 miles away from the subs)'
We have the same here as we live just across the water from where the subs are designed and built. Sirens give me the creeps as I can unfortunately remember them from the war.

Scary!

There was a major fire in London (Greenwich) last May. The site, one of a few in London with a siren, sounded it as a precaution to alert people, because the site had a warehouse containing dangerous chemicals nearby. I expect they all get tested from time to time which may possibly be what you heard?

Scary!

There was a major fire in London (Greenwich) last May. The site, one of a few in London with a siren, sounded it as a precaution to alert people, because the site had a warehouse containing dangerous chemicals nearby. I expect they all get tested from time to time which may possibly be what you heard?

Frazz, I read about that when I was searching the internet this morning and that could well be the answer. Awful sound - a chilling and mournful wail.

It reminded me that I haven't heard fog horns for ages, even though I worked by The Thames for many years and we often meet up with friends at pubs or restaurants along the Embankment.

I have grown up with this sound every day. The Queen Elizabeth II dock at the entrance to the Manchester Ship Canal, use a siren as their fire alarm and test it each morning at 8.45am. It has the distinct sound of a World War II siren and has been sounded each morning for at least 50 years.
The only time I worry about it is if I hear it and it's not quarter to nine :)

To me, even though I'm only 41, it's the most emotive and evocative sound! Cannot imagine what it must have sounded like "for real" back in the day :(

Last edited:
We lived not far from a water treatment plant and they had a siren they tested every week at the same time. This was a warning of a chemical leak, chlorine - as if it leaks into the air it is extremely poisonous and you would have to stay indoors if you heard the sound.

How scary, I lived in Greenwich before the Thames Barrier was built, we were only 200 yards from the river and they used the siren as a warning of flooding which was tested four times a year, a very eerie sound.

Actually I wonder if there's any filming taking place near you that's set in WW2?

Latest posts

Back