Rick Astley and Oasis should sue Laurelle

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

bidtvbs

Registered Shopper
The fragrance they're selling right now is called Together Forever and they sell one called definitely maybe. Can't Laurelle and Sit Up be a bit more original than rip off names and fake brands?

Laurelle is as much of a brand as any other - it's just happens to be affordable. I like the fact that we sell more accessible fragrances as well as the better-known brands like Guerlain and YSL.

Laurelle is as much of a brand as any other - it's just happens to be affordable. I like the fact that we sell more accessible fragrances as well as the better-known brands like Guerlain and YSL.

Good of you to reply on the forum again Peter.

Can I ask a genuine question that I hope you are able to answer candidly. When you say 'Laurelle' is as much of a brand as any other can you expand on that? You see when myself and many others on here try to find out more about the brand there's scant information out there. Indeed even their own website is pretty spartan, despite having a 'review' section for each product I cannot find a single one posted by anyone. Also one would expect Laurelle to have a list of stockists on their site, they don't.

I can only really find Laurelle for sale on ebay, Amazon and Sit Up. Can you give us a bit more background about Laurelle as in who they are, their history, where you found them, things like that? I wouldn't really ask if they were cheap and cheerful white label products but some of the Laurelle fragrances aren't really that cheap, for example the Sexxy Shoo variants regularly sell on the channels for well over £30 all in.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Peter is selling 2 x 100ml bottles of Elizabeth Taylor fragrances for just £17.94 which seems great value for such a well known brand, however this makes my question about the Laurelle brand even more pertinent as one bottle of Laurelle Sexxy Shoo is sold for more than this.

In fact Peter also just sold 50ml of Caron Sacre which comes with a refill for £21.96 and which, in Peter's opinion 'is the best fragrance you will ever buy from these channels' and I don't doubt you Peter. But again, Laurelle Sexxy Shoo sells for more than this and rarely if ever for less than £20 (plus P+P etc).

Peter, this is why we are so keen to know more about Laurelle. Do please help us out.

Last edited:
Does Laurelle have its own store? the only address I can find on the website is:

Laurelle Parfums
207 Regent Street
London, W1B 3HH

Which according to the net is just an registered office?

According to the whois website tool that displays owner details of who owns a website, the details for laurelle.co.uk are:

Domain name:
laurelle.co.uk

Registrant:
simply perfume

Registrant type:
UK Limited Company, (Company number: 6149738)

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 25-Jun-2007
Expiry date: 25-Jun-2013
Last updated: 24-Jan-2013

Registration status:
Registered until expiry date.

I am not too savvy on business registration but according to that does it mean Laurelle's website is owned by simply perfume (Company number: 6149738)?

Also the http://simply-perfume.com/ takes you to the Laurelle.co.uk website.

The registers address (Simply Perfume) is also on the whois website but I think it maybe a personal address so I won't post that incase it is.

I found this interesting about who owns Simply Perfumes:

Laurelle London Ltd was registered on 09 Mar 2007. The business has a status of active. Their founding director was Oliver Mcmahon, who is British, aged 38. Laurelle London Ltd have a single shareholder; Oliver Mcmahon. They have no known group companies. The company has assets totalling £198,081 plus total liabilities totalling £96,046. They owe £96,046 to creditors and are due £76,388 from trade debtors. As of their last financial statement, they had £37,733 in cash reserves. Their book value is £102,035, and the value of their shareholders' fund is £102,035.

Full details here:

https://www.duedil.com/company/06149738/laurelle-london-ltd

Last edited:
The Regent Street address detailed in the above post is what's known as a virtual address, used by many companies to portray an upmarket image (see link).

Their actual address is 43 Purdeys Industrial Estate, Purdeys Way, Rochford, Essex, SS4 1ND and I attach an actual image of the Estate for you all. I'm sure you will all agree it's not quite as glamorous as Regent Street.

http://www.hold-everything.com/

http://directory.thesun.co.uk/16534084

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-24778755.html/svr/2708;jsessionid=BAFB9FD1DCD09D2427609C096A46DDF5

purdeys.JPG

Last edited:
I think I remember Peter saying on air that he had first met up with Laurelle at a perfume convention in Italy

Does anyone else remember that, or was it a dream?

I don't personally recall that Momma but Peter can no doubt confirm it.

The Regent Street address detailed in the above post is what's known as a virtual address, used by many companies to portray an upmarket image (see link).

Their actual address is 43 Purdeys Industrial Estate, Purdeys Way, Rochford, Essex, SS4 1ND and I attach an actual image of the Estate for you all. I'm sure you will all agree it's not quite as glamorous as Regent Street.

http://www.hold-everything.com/

http://directory.thesun.co.uk/16534084

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-24778755.html/svr/2708;jsessionid=BAFB9FD1DCD09D2427609C096A46DDF5

View attachment 8942

Thank you, I never knew companies did that. It really does add a bit of glamour to a product if its "..... of London", to the average joe such as myself it makes a business seem very successful as a first impression as you expect them to be competing (and surviving) against major brands also based in the city. Your definitely right about it being seen as glamorous, I suspect other brands use similar tactics in places like Paris & Milan?

Thank you, I never knew companies did that. It really does add a bit of glamour to a product if its "..... of London", to the average joe such as myself it makes a business seem very successful as a first impression as you expect them to be competing (and surviving) against major brands also based in the city. Your definitely right about it being seen as glamorous, I suspect other brands use similar tactics in places like Paris & Milan?

Although it's disingenuous I don't really have a huge problem with the address thing, I suppose it could be considered smart marketing. What I can't understand is how certain products from this 'brand' are being sold for more than Caron and Elizabeth Taylor, i'm guessing there must be a massive mark up.

And let's just remember some of the things the likes of Peter Simon have claimed about Laurelle, it dosen't quite tie in with what we have discovered.

Last edited:
There are a number of things that discredit Laurelle;
1) Using an accomodation addresss,particularly a Regent Street one which is particularly naff and obvious.
2)No approved retail outlets
3)The ridiculous practice of actually printing a 'selling price' of £40 on the box to inflate the perceived value (can you imagine Guerlain or Tom Ford doing that?)
4) No reviews or search results on Basenotes the top internet resource for fragrance fans.
5)No credible reviews anywhere
6) Unbelievably cheap and tacky website which no respectable fragrance house would be seen dead with
7) Uses the Aquaswiss model of high prices on the website in order to collude with the re-seller in creating the illusion that it is being offered at a bargain price when in fact it is just a cheap product in the first place.

Last edited:
There are a number of things that discredit Laurelle;
1) Using an accomodation addresss,particularly a Regent Street one which is particularly naff and obvious.
2)No approved retail outlets
3)The ridiculous practice of actually printing a 'selling price' of £40 on the box to inflate the perceived value (can you imagine Guerlain or Tom Ford doing that?)
4) No reviews or search results on Basenotes the top internet resource for fragrance fans.
5)No credible reviews anywhere
6) Unbelievably cheap and tacky website which no respectable fragrance house would be seen dead with
7) Uses the Aquaswiss model of high prices on the website in order to collude with the re-seller*in creating the illusion that it is being offered at a bargain price when in fact it is just a cheap product in the first place.

I think you have kind of summed it up. I can only add this:-

* Only known resellers are on ebay, Amazon and of course the Sit Up Channels.

Last edited:
Strangely Peter just said Laurelle are a Southend based company, never heard that mentioned before. He's selling one for £3.83 which sounds much more like it. In fact he's just said he is going to be designing a fragrance for Laurelle soon.

It must be a pretty close relationship that Sit Up have with them.

Last edited:
£3.83 free of postage and phone call costs sounds about right or maybe if they sold em in Poundland.:wonder:

In fairness to Sit Up it is only the Sexxy Shoo variants that are more expensive, maybe that's down to the bottle design.

Indeed Peter alluded to this earlier, he said even if it smelled like cats..... (not that it does) he would say buy it just for the bottle. And again in fairness I have never heard Peter suggest Laurelle is a high end, designer fragrance and given what we now know it's patently clear it isn't. But I still find it utterly baffling any of their products can sell for anywhere near the same price as say Caron, never mind for more.

I was just having a look back at some old posts and the other Peter (you know the one) has claimed Laurelle is one of the great names in design. Then again he has said lots of things hasn't he?

I wonder what Peter will call the fragrance he is designing for Laurelle? What about Eau de Essex? or maybe Southend pour Homme?

Zone Industrielle has a certain ring to it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back