Quiz night in cafe....have you had worse food?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
A friend of mine discovered that her local café does a quiz night once a month, and we've been going now for a good few months, you pay £10 for which you get a dinner, a dessert and coffee and of course a quiz, if you win, your prize is four bottles of wine, two bottles goes to second place. The quiz is great fun, but the food is so bad it's funny!

The food though is incredibly ropey. Occassionally you get an ok meal but you can never tell. The bad examples being undercooked sausages, peas and smash, chicken supreme straight from the tin with boil in the bag rice, it's like they've raided the freezer of the local newsagent and grabbed a load of 99p ready meals. Anything with chips isn't usually too bad ham egg and chips, plaice goujons with chips etc have all been edible. One night ham egg and chips was on the menu, and my mates hubby said he was trying to cut down on meat so can he have two egg and chips instead of the ham, the waitress said no, we thought she was joking until she turned up with a plate containing about ten chips and one fried egg!!!

Last night's meal though was the worst of the lot and this has prompted me to spill my story here. Waitress came out, told us the choice was Chicken supreme or scampi and chips, all remembering the chicken supreme experience from last time we all opted for the scampi. It looked lovely a generous portion of scampi, they normally give us about 4 pieces each, we had about 8..but seriously I've never experienced scampi like this in my entire! It looked like scampi on the outside, but inside it was a different story...think happy shopper fish fingers! they were filled with a sort of re-formed vaguely fishy tasting mush!!!!!

Dessert lemon meringue cheesecake, which most of us opted for, as much as I love cheesecake, I didn't hold up much hope and went for the trifle instead...mmmmm lime jelly mixed with cheap tinned fruit cocktail, a dollop of really cheap tasting tinned custard and a swirl of aerosol cream....the cheesecake was about a centimetre thick and vibrant yellow and aparantely tasted how it looked, but the first prize went to my mate's hubby again who went for the apple and blackberry crumble which must have been microwaved tinned pie filling with some ready made crumble topping sprinkled on the top!

Coffee is normally ok, but the last time we went it was rank...my mate and her hubby don't usually drink coffee but last time they decided to and asked for decaff,and they were crowing that the decaff was really nice. So this time we all had decaff, and it was totally rank, only guessing that the time before they'd accidentally given us their decaff and they'd had the normal coffee! It was weird, it had a smokey savoury taste, really unpleasant.

Now this place is a ****** café, how can they serve food like this?

Has anyone else paid for a worse meal?

We have won the quiz a few times and the prize wine is the cheapest wine they can lay their hands on, usually about 7 or 8 % alcohol and believe or not is thinner than water - Why pay £60 for the fawlty towers experience when you can come here?!!! Like I said it's so bad it's funny!

A friend of mine discovered that her local café does a quiz night once a month, and we've been going now for a good few months, you pay £10 for which you get a dinner, a dessert and coffee and of course a quiz, if you win, your prize is four bottles of wine, two bottles goes to second place. The quiz is great fun, but the food is so bad it's funny!

The food though is incredibly ropey. Occassionally you get an ok meal but you can never tell. The bad examples being undercooked sausages, peas and smash, chicken supreme straight from the tin with boil in the bag rice, it's like they've raided the freezer of the local newsagent and grabbed a load of 99p ready meals. Anything with chips isn't usually too bad ham egg and chips, plaice goujons with chips etc have all been edible. One night ham egg and chips was on the menu, and my mates hubby said he was trying to cut down on meat so can he have two egg and chips instead of the ham, the waitress said no, we thought she was joking until she turned up with a plate containing about ten chips and one fried egg!!!

Last night's meal though was the worst of the lot and this has prompted me to spill my story here. Waitress came out, told us the choice was Chicken supreme or scampi and chips, all remembering the chicken supreme experience from last time we all opted for the scampi. It looked lovely a generous portion of scampi, they normally give us about 4 pieces each, we had about 8..but seriously I've never experienced scampi like this in my entire! It looked like scampi on the outside, but inside it was a different story...think happy shopper fish fingers! they were filled with a sort of re-formed vaguely fishy tasting mush!!!!!

Dessert lemon meringue cheesecake, which most of us opted for, as much as I love cheesecake, I didn't hold up much hope and went for the trifle instead...mmmmm lime jelly mixed with cheap tinned fruit cocktail, a dollop of really cheap tasting tinned custard and a swirl of aerosol cream....the cheesecake was about a centimetre thick and vibrant yellow and aparantely tasted how it looked, but the first prize went to my mate's hubby again who went for the apple and blackberry crumble which must have been microwaved tinned pie filling with some ready made crumble topping sprinkled on the top!

Coffee is normally ok, but the last time we went it was rank...my mate and her hubby don't usually drink coffee but last time they decided to and asked for decaff,and they were crowing that the decaff was really nice. So this time we all had decaff, and it was totally rank, only guessing that the time before they'd accidentally given us their decaff and they'd had the normal coffee! It was weird, it had a smokey savoury taste, really unpleasant.

Now this place is a ****** café, how can they serve food like this?

Has anyone else paid for a worse meal?

We have won the quiz a few times and the prize wine is the cheapest wine they can lay their hands on, usually about 7 or 8 % alcohol and believe or not is thinner than water - Why pay £60 for the fawlty towers experience when you can come here?!!! Like I said it's so bad it's funny!
Could it be that the people serving the food were previously employed by Bid/PD. After all, they were known to stretch the truth some what!

Latest posts

Back