First Christman tree and lights?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
Excluding commercial and city centre ones has anyone got their own tree up?

Coming home this evening I saw 3 houses with the full works including a neighbour who has the outside Xmas light blinking off and on.

Ye gods, it's only 14 November. Bah humbug

Ahem....I have 'a' tree up, but it's not a xmas tree..

I bought it in the sale last year and dug it out a couple of weeks ago to test, and to see if it would replace the real (artificial) tree this year. As we're going away on the 17th, I could do without the faff! Anyway, it's still up and making my lounge very cosy!! That's what xmas is to me, an out and out atheist - lights, food and rest! :)

ForumRunner_20141114_181058.jpg

Apologies, it's gone on sideways :-/

Plymouth had their 'Winter Festival' lights turned on yesterday and I noticed a house in the street behind us had their lights and decorations up aswell.

There was a big thing in our local paper a few years back when the council decided that there would be no more christmas late night shopping and christmas light switch on, instead it would become Winter Festival, to ( in their words ) cater for all faiths! No one i know calls it that, its still Christmas shopping and lights to us.

We don`t put up our tree until the weekend before Christmas and that`s all the decor we bother with. Mind you we don`t have young children anymore. TBH I wouldn`t bother with a tree but hubby likes one and so does the cat. We spend 2 weeks trying to keep her off it and rescuing baubles from under the sofa, coffee table and other furniture.

Our tree won't go up until about 10 days before Christmas - I don't understand why people put up their tree, etc, in November, especially this early in the month!

My son came home from school on Wednesday and told me he had passed a house fully decorated, tree in the window. Lights, animals, fake snow covering the house.:confused: I've told him he's got another month to wait before we start with the decorations.

I dug out my tree last week to check to see if the lights were still working as this is the first time in 6 years we will be back for Christmas. Surprisingly they worked. My soon to be 2yr old little granddaughter wanted to explore the box with baubles etc and I eventually gave in and put up the tree in a corner and we decorated it all. The look on her face was magical when we turned on the lights. Although it's dressed it will remain in the corner unlit till her birthday which is in Dec as it is way to early.

I haven't got mine up, and won't do until the first weekend of December, but I do know a couple of people who have put theirs up...last month! lol!

I haven't got mine up, and won't do until the first weekend of December, but I do know a couple of people who have put theirs up...last month! lol!

I think men in white coats should be paying them a visit.

The weekend before Christmas is more than early enough for me, but I don't like Christmas at all so perhaps I'm being unfair to all the Christmas lovers out there.

Each to there own , i remember as a child i wanted the Xmas tree u asap, It doesnt do anyone any harm putting it up early, Now days the tree goes up first weekend of December :D

I love Christmas But don't decorate and put the tree up until about a week before . On the way home from work this week I've noticed several houses with Christmas decorations up.

Two weeks before Christmas for me. I don't understand people who have real trees and put them up in November - surely by Christmas Day they'd be quite miserable-looking specimens. Unless they have the heating off for the entire time! Quite bizarre.

Christmas light went on in Windsor last night. Place was heaving. I found a new floor in TKmaxx there - lower ground floor with household stuff. Ciate advent calendar and Kipling bags.

I really don't like Christmas so if and it is a big if the tree goes up it is on Christmas Eve and it comes down again on the 2nd January (the day after my birthday).

Mine usually goes up the week before and taken down the day after boxing day as I can't stand the clutter! I am seriously considering sticking some of my decs on my gold tree this year rather than going through the hassle of putting the proper one up. The only thing stopping me is the fact that I have spent a fortune on my tree decs, all white/pearl, and I am gutted that I won't get use out of them as I love them! Maybe if we're here, rather than away, next Dec I'll grit my teeth and put the real one up!

Mine will be going up on either the 6th or the 13th, depending when I can be bothered.

I do get called Bah Humbug though because they come down the day after Boxing Day. I don't see the point of keeping them up once Christmas Day has been and gone.
In fact last year, I took them down Boxing day morning because I had plans for the day after.

It would be different if I had kids though, I'd leave them another week at least.

Latest posts

Back