All I Want For January

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cheetycat

Registered Shopper
On Saturday Q are having yet another of their "event days" featuring as well as the Laura Geller Makeup (which I do like) Peony Flowers, Dresses by Tiana B, Tignanello Handbags, Silk Oil of Morocco Hair Care, Jewellery Shows, More Fashion, Murad Skincare, Food Glorious Food and Accessories by Kipling

Now I'm sorry but who in the real world do they actually think has a whole pile of disposable income left two and a half weeks in to January? Many people probably have not even been paid yet since before or around Christmas!

Not that I would probably be interested in buying anything much from the above list other than the Laura Geller but surely an "event day" such as this would be better served say in the first week in February or at the very least the last weekend in January? So that people who maybe DO want to buy something have a better chance of being able to afford to do so.

Mind you they'll be plugging items as suitable for Valentine's Day gifts by then. Oh wait a minute, they already are!!

I caught the promo for this earlier. The whole thing sickens me to be honest, most of all the sickening, peverse advert. Are people still really spending wads of cash on stuff they don't need? Especially in January, as you say, when a huge portion of the population are paying off the debt they got into at xmas, to buy more un-needed tat!!

Yes I couldn't agree more. I have been swithering all day about the Gatineau TSV. I, very fortunately, have not accrued any debts over Christmas but I'm sure there are many others who aren't so fortunate. However I haven't been paid since the 22nd December and am not due paid until the 29th January. I don't really NEED the Gatineau TSV so really can't justify spending £45 on something I don't really need but it does keep tempting me. I intend to buy the Laura Geller TSV on Saturday as a gift for my daughter so can I really justify paying out the best part of £100 in the space of a couple of days? Probably not.

I really wish Q would get with the real world and realise that not everyone is as privileged as they are. Of course they have to keep selling regardless of the time of year, that's the business they are in after all, but it's just a shame that people WILL be tempted by these kind of promotions and events and inevitably will end up being sucked in to buying things they cannot really afford.

They rely on people being scared of missing out on a supposed good deal and know many folks will dig deep, even so soon after Christmas. Yet for all they say that each tsv is the best value ever, there always seems to be another one along soon after and even more so these days.

Yup, TSVs are like buses. If you can bear to wait, there'll be another one along in a while. And if you can bear to wait a few months, whatever they're selling will probably be all over the net and the high street, usually a lot cheaper. But I admit, it's easy to get sucked into the hype.

Too much pressure on the customer and I can just imagine how much pressure the presenters are under to sell, not that I feel sorry for them but this is a c**p job IMO as you are not allowed to be yourself if this makes sense, you are a persona on screen and the constant stream in their ear. I thought one day I could hear the presenters' ear piece on air, not what was said but a constant stream of words like if someone were on the phone.

I'm not really sure what they could sell in January which wouldn't fall into someone's temptation areas.

Personally since its beauty, beauty, beauty I'm not tempted at all.

If I bother to watch it will be the Tig bags otherwise my money is safe most of the time.

Q is such a yawn now, beauty takes up most of the air time and what is left seems to be bleeding sheets or vacs.

Even jewellery is Eek all the time.

Bored bored bored, but so much better off.

I think that they should have called it What I Want for February because it will be end of January literally when the items ordered this weekend will arrive.

I'm not really sure what they could sell in January which wouldn't fall into someone's temptation areas.

Personally since its beauty, beauty, beauty I'm not tempted at all.

If I bother to watch it will be the Tig bags otherwise my money is safe most of the time.

Q is such a yawn now, beauty takes up most of the air time and what is left seems to be bleeding sheets or vacs.

Even jewellery is Eek all the time.

Bored bored bored, but so much better off.

I'm not into beauty much either ,don't use a lot of make up and I've given up experimenting with face creams, i stick with my shop bought brand ,so my money is safe .i avoid the beauty themed event days.

When I first started watching QVC about 10 years ago they had a tremendous range of brands, I remember I watched it for hours every day for 3 months before items came round again. It was a life-line at the time because I was on long-term sick leave with very severe depression.

Nowadays their ranges are so narrow. I know they've been hit by gold prices so no more Jan Springer but where is that Canadian bloke "David" who had a nice range of silver jewellery? Whats happened to crafts, Travelon, the microfibres towels (remember the woman guest who used the towels when she took her twin daughters swimming ?)

Yes, it's got so boring that it's easier to resist. The same old things crop up time & again as TSVs, Kipling, nail polish, bedding.... :yawn:
And I'm a sucker for nail polish but there's only so much you can use!

I agree that gold is probably too expensive now for it to feature much but what happened to all the silver TSVs they used to do with semi precious stones,or bags other than Kipling or Lulu Guinness? And why not things you could buy for the men in your life, especially at Christmas?

The way I look at it is that they are a shopping channel so they've got to be selling something, they cannot just stop because people might have spent up at Christmas. We get paid on the 15th which works quite well as I try to get things bought before we get paid in December and now we have just been paid again. If people have built up debt or spent up then it's down to them to resist or just not watch. One thing that does amuse me though is all this talk of spending money you have been given for Christmas as nobody gives me money. However I'm happy to PM my address if anyone wants to pop a cheque in the post :mysmilie_19:

All retail outlets whether online, on TV or in bricks and mortar stores (as Boris Bear said above) have to carry on selling after Christmas but the difference with Q is they never have a sale worth watching. Most other retail outlets have really good discounts after Christmas and their sales are worth hanging on for. Q reduces things by pennies or at best by a couple of quid.
I didn`t spend a penny with them in the run up to Christmas and I certainly haven`t spent anything with them post Christmas, especially when so many other online stores have had such fantastic sale prices.

I've often thought QVC should stop having TSVs during January and for the whole month shift their clearance stock as OTOs during every live hour (sorry Ian I don't mean to cause you heart-failure chasing item numbers for 15 OTOs a day). I doubt vendors are queuing up to sell a January TSV...the high street is awash with reduced irons, pans, skincare and make up with 50-70% off not just 20% off which barely covers the p&p.

While I'm in Cloud Cuckoo Land, :mysmilie_47: creating QVC improvements, they should run their Last Clicks and Clearance like a falling price auction, with every price falling by a couple of pence or pounds on Tuesdays and Fridays until it tempts someone to buy. Then they'd eventually whittle down the >5000 items in Clearance making it more inviting to browse through.

Clunk!

That's me falling back down to earth! :mysmilie_19:

I remember when the QVC sales lasted for more than a day and the reductions were high percentages rather than just a few pennies... they couldn't keep items in stock during those sales... they'd be forever saying "oh i'm sorry that's sold out, we'll move onto something else" now hardly anything sells out because the savings are so small, not even enough to cover P&P costs!!

As for the last clicks online, the prices do go down on occasions, before xmas i bought a lovely nour london necklace in last clicks for £8.95 today its selling in friday reductions for around £6.50, I'm not sure how long it has to be in the clearance before it gets further reduced though.

I did actually see some sale items with quite substantial deductions this year but unfortunately they were mainly Basso items which I wouldn't want if they were giving them away. They do take the proverbial with their sale where you get maybe 10% off.

Some of those products in the Clearance section have postage costs that are almost as expensive as the item itself. I don't think I would bother.

I also seem to remember round about Christmas last year (2013) I saw a beauty item in the Clearance or Last Clicks section. Now I happen to know for a fact that this particular item in that particular packaging was done for a charity event in summer 2011. Which meant it had been sitting on their shelves for two and a half years - therefore being past the 24 months unopened shelf life that they so like to tell you about!

Haven't seen anything I want on Q since before Christmas and at the moment I'm hardly watching because I don't want make-up, vacuum cleaners, emu boots, bedding blah blah blah, all of which were TSV's not so long ago. I agree their sale is poor. I just got a Lulu Guinness bag from her website for £58 when it had been £200 - now that was worth having :mysmilie_14: Not that I really need that bag but it was too good a deal to pass by. I am able to pass by steam irons, TVs, tablets, saucepans etc. I think QVC needs a little bit of something new to get people watching again and don't try and sell irons at hundreds of pounds 3 weeks after Christmas!

CC

Latest posts

Back