Julia's vocabulary.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I have never read any of her novels, so am not qualified on her literary prowess. I am a real nazi, when it comes to correct grammatical usage. So when Julia described a Lola Rose bracelet, as being "a kind of verdant green", I asked myself, if it was an attempt to sound more knowledgeable, or is she just ignorant to the actual definition of the word? I'm probably being pedantic but, if anything irritates me, it is bad grammar.
End of rant.

Julia was neither "attempting to sound knowledgeable" nor "ignorant". Verdant Green is a Pantone colour, a universally used shade of green. Her use of the phrase to describe the colour of a bracelet was perfectly correct. My old boyfriend had an Audi in Verdant Green.

Last edited:
If verdant green is a genuine colour then, definitively, it is green green. Silly name for a shade of green.

I disagree. Verdant refers to an area being lush with grass or vegetation - Verdant green describes a specific shade of green rather than, say, lime green, sage green or pistachio.

A couple of old chestnuts........... bolero and bolairo

I've noticed a new one in the fray of late, by presenters on other programmes...... homage and homaaaaarge.

Personally I say bolero for a short cardi and Ravel's bolairo,
and homage, but that's just me and what I was brought up with.

The numba drives me to distraction, but Julia isn't the only one to say it....

I suppose all parts of our fantastical(?) little island has its accents and odd ways of saying things. Many of my friends and colleagues say 'should have went' instead of 'should have gone' which grates on my nerves slightly but I'm not going to die in a ditch over it. I manage to input an extra syllable into 'film' and although I know I'm doing it, still can't stop myself! My granny was from the north east of Scotland so spoke in the Doric dialect which I loved and some of her words, not translatable into English, desscribed things to a tee. My 'other side' speak Gaelic and again there are fabulous words in that language which may be lost in the future since so few of us are speaking or learning the lingo anymore. :sad:

I hare the saying "blow you away!" I don't know what it is, it just gives me the impression of violence for some reason.

Ah, well, I have learnt a new word , thank you louise and Julia.:happy:
I looked it up in the Oxford Dictionary and this is what it says:
Of the bright green colour of lush grass:
a deep, verdant green
a serving of hideously verdant mushy peas

I hare the saying "blow you away!" I don't know what it is, it just gives me the impression of violence for some reason.

Ooooh you will get me on my soap box! When I used to travel on the Glasgow Edinburgh train at rush hour it 'seemed to be' (my opinion) full of banking upstarts who were always on their phones spouting a lot of drivel. I remember one night when the train was pulled into a siding, this guy was practically shouting that he had been 'maxed' today but may have a 'shape' tomorrow to meet to 'drive things forward strategically' in the 'prerequisite punchy fashion'. He claimed he was working on his 'knowledge process outsourcing' presentation which would support the 'mission critical' but was thinking of 'eating his own dog food' ??.....we all wished he would.....

Ooooh you will get me on my soap box! When I used to travel on the Glasgow Edinburgh train at rush hour it 'seemed to be' (my opinion) full of banking upstarts who were always on their phones spouting a lot of drivel. I remember one night when the train was pulled into a siding, this guy was practically shouting that he had been 'maxed' today but may have a 'shape' tomorrow to meet to 'drive things forward strategically' in the 'prerequisite punchy fashion'. He claimed he was working on his 'knowledge process outsourcing' presentation which would support the 'mission critical' but was thinking of 'eating his own dog food' ??.....we all wished he would.....

:mysmilie_17: thank you Bigbean,:mysmilie_508: reading this made me laugh! "eating his own dog food" :mysmilie_507:

Latest posts

Back