Julia's vocabulary.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Makes you wonder how some on these presenters got a job, because if I was hiring and heard the bran news, and the somethinks, anythinks and inits, they wouldn't get through the door.

Never mind the presenters, what about the politicians? All these public school boys who somehow think they are getting down with the masses by dropping their t's. Blair started it and others have flocked to take up the mantle. Miliband was a shocker. I've go' to say i' was really ge'ing me down and any politician who deliberately adopts such affectations won't ge' my vote because I can't hear wha' they're saying.

One can only despair at the level of education of those doing the hiring !!! although as far as I'm concerned the whole of the tv industry, is dumbing down to the level of an amoeba, - from the sumfinks of the soaps to the innits of reality, and Ant & Dec looking and acting like overgrown schoolboys (at 40).

LOOOOOOOOOOOL! I nearly p*ssed myself laughing when Alison Young once decribed a face cream as "luxuriant" which I'm sure actually refers to abundance of hair growth! I don't think many women would want that from their face cream!

LOOOOOOOOOOOL! I nearly p*ssed myself laughing when Alison Young once decribed a face cream as "luxuriant" which I'm sure actually refers to abundance of hair growth! I don't think many women would want that from their face cream!

That's one meaning, but a second meaning has reached us from across The Pond in recent years. Webster's Dictionary gives the definition "having an appealingly rich quality" and Roget's Thesaurus gives synonyms of "sumptuous" and "deluxe".

It is funny how some things just annoy us. My local radio has taken to reporting "a crash" on the road between x and y. Now I'm not altogether certain why but that annoys me every morning! To me that sounds too much like slang.

Maybe she had a blip in her thought process and was thinking about the bales of hay she had delivered that morning! :mysmilie_17:

I would concur, if I was making a political statement. I did not intend for my use of the word, to be taken literally!

The word Nazi appears to have evolved and is now used in the sense of "the fashion police", "the breastapo" and other similar terms for someone who takes an uncompromisingly hard-line on a particular issue that matters to them. It does not offend me in that context, but it does in it's original one.

Also the Verdant(but spelt differently of course) was an area in France hundreds killed there in WWI

Verdun? It seems it comes from a different word root : Latin: Verodunum, meaning "strong fort"

I found Verdant Green on Wikipedia - not sure all the bods who selected the pantone as the colour of the year had in mind a person...

Here's the Pantone - not as green as I was expecting it to be. I thought it would be brighter.

Last edited:
The word Nazi appears to have evolved and is now used in the sense of "the fashion police", "the breastapo" and other similar terms for someone who takes an uncompromisingly hard-line on a particular issue that matters to them. It does not offend me in that context, but it does in it's original one.

I have to say that this use of the word Nazi does offend me because it diminishes the horror of what a Nazi was. To me, to use the word to describe anything other than what it actually was/is, particularly someone as inconsequential as a fashion journalist, massively insults all those who fought against and suffered at the hands of the reality.

Last edited:
I have to say that this use of the word Nazi does offend me because it diminishes the horror of what a Nazi was. To me, to use the word to describe anything other than what it actually was/is, particularly someone as inconsequential as a fashion journalist, massively insults all those who fought against and suffered at the hands of the reality.

But there are many words which had their origins with one particilar meaning, but over time (probably because of the strong connotations associated with the original meaning) become a word that can mean or describe something else which may be entirely less sinister with a new meaning entirely. In this sense the word Nazi (which I believe was originally not a word in it's own right but an a set of initials) has become associated with extremeism and a hard-line. The word Holocaust was in the book of Wisdom in a passage often read at funerals, before it became associated with the atrocities perpetrated by the Nazis in world war 2. I do not mean to minimise the original "word" in any way, or offend anybody, and I don't think Louise did either. I understand that there are some words that are so offensive that their use causes total uproar (such as in a racial context when deliberately used to insult or demean). But that is even further off-topic than this thread has gone already!

I am a real nazi, when it comes to correct grammatical usage. So when Julia described a Lola Rose bracelet, as being "a kind of verdant green", I asked myself, if it was an attempt to sound more knowledgeable, or is she just ignorant to the actual definition of the word? End of rant.

Believe me, you would be committing murder if you ever crossed paths with my daughter's boyfriend, who's descriptive powers definatly mark him out as a future QVC presenter, if he fails in his preferred career.

This is how he recently described the colour of his mothers new car:

" Its a sort of kind of a blue, but not like a really blue blue, its got a sort of kind of a green in it, but it does nay look like green, it looks more kind of, sort of like a weirdy kind of shiny blue, but definitely no as weird as thingmay's, his is just mad". Apparently it also lacks one of those "thingy things" that thingmay has on his car.

I really don't know who thingmay is or what his car looks like, (don't think with that description ,I really want to know), but the colour of his mothers car is actually turquoise.

By the way, who says that education standards haven't been dumbed down, he got an A* for Higher English and is currently in First year at a highly rated uni studying to be a Quantity Surveyor.

A couple of old chestnuts........... bolero and bolairo

I've noticed a new one in the fray of late, by presenters on other programmes...... homage and homaaaaarge.

Personally I say bolero for a short cardi and Ravel's bolairo,
and homage, but that's just me and what I was brought up with.

I was brought up with, 'bolairo'. The first time I heard, 'bolero', I had no idea what the woman in question was talking about!

Latest posts

Back