Oh dear, Job Cuts

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

daps

Registered Shopper
A television shopping channel in Cambridgeshire is cutting 70 jobs, it has been announced.

The Peterborough-based Ideal World home shopping channel, which is owned by Ideal Shopping Direct, said the cuts were to allow it to stay competitive.

The company said it was cutting staff numbers by 15% due to the downturn in the economy.

The company said it has a programme to phase out temporary staff by the end of the month.

The firm is also offering the option of voluntary redundancy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/7767797.stm

Ideal World need to do something else to make it competitive. Better products and a decent customer service should be their starting point!

Looks like the new broom is sweeping clean!

15% is hardly scything the workforce and I expect Mike Hancox is simply licking the company into a more effective and streamlined organisation. He has certainly had much more experience of this line of business than his predecessor and I should imagine he is absolutely appalled at the mess Andrew Fryatt has left IW in.

There do seem to be new products coming in and at least the customer services is now back in this country! It takes a long time to pull things back from the brink, especially when the economy is having a downturn but hopefully IW's problems will not prove insurmountable.

They could start with La Weightman - have said before how I hate what she's done to craft.

I hate to see anyone lose their job, but I'd pick SW for sure. She has sickened a lot of people and likely put others off craft. Plus she has her own channel. I can think of a few others I'd like to see the back of too !

The only presenters I'd let go are Martyn, Loen and Joanne.

On a more serious note I'd hate to see anyone loose their job. Its not a nice thing to happen to anyone.

Sorry, I find listing people as suggested candidates for losing their jobs rather unkind and in poor taste. Come on folks, we are nice people on this forum............

The best thing about this forum is that there is still an element of free speech about it. If I feel strongly about something I am glad that sycophantic mods don't shut me up as happens elsewhere. I'd hate to see that change. And if I believe that someone has been responsible for spoiling something, then thanks, ST, for still letting me say so.

The best thing about this forum is that there is still an element of free speech about it. If I feel strongly about something I am glad that sycophantic mods don't shut me up as happens elsewhere. I'd hate to see that change. And if I believe that someone has been responsible for spoiling something, then thanks, ST, for still letting me say so.

Of course, I agree with you on free speech and that is what allows us both the freedom to give our opinion but with free speech comes responsibility. In exercising our right to free speech we have a responsibility to assess its impact otherwise it would result in rather a chaotic world.

I am sorry to hear of possible job losses and I hope that should they be necessary they will be on a voluntary basis.

Not great news to hear, especially now when people have spent more money than any other time of the year. Our household was in a similar situation regarding a potential job loss a few years ago, it totally ruined our christmas and plans for a "happy new year" Thankfully, we were OK, but it was a terrible time having all the uncertainty hanging over us, it made me physically ill. I'd hate to have to go through that again and my sympathies are with anyone in that situation at the moment :(

Last edited:
I always find that anyone with a financial background who become incharge of a company, always looks to cut the labour overheads first without thinking about the future position of the company in the market place first.

Lets hope they get it right or it will be the end for IW. To think back a few years that they where in par with QVC, and in some case sold better products and had far better presenters.

Well one thing's for sure, it won't affect the Presenters, it will be the lads and lasses working behind the scenes and also the Warehouse Staff, in fact the Warehouse Staff will be more affected.

Latest posts

Back