Ayanna spinel

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MissMagpie

If it sparkles - grab it
It looks very pretty and I'd really like some, but the prices are way OTT! It's only spinel, for heaven's sake, and the carat weights are tiny. Never mind if Gems did buy it all up before the mine shut or whatever - it's still spinel.

Spinel is a very underrated gem IMVHO. A good spinel can cost £100s. However, I fail to see what is special about these.

A friend of mine who trained as a jeweller and setter and stone expert always says that if a stone couldn't be automatically given an id through crystal structure or whatever, it was just called 'spinel'. I've always borne that in mind when looking at spinel.

That said, I bow (always) to Messhoo's encyclopaedic knowledge.

A friend of mine who trained as a jeweller and setter and stone expert always says that if a stone couldn't be automatically given an id through crystal structure or whatever, it was just called 'spinel'. I've always borne that in mind when looking at spinel.

That's really interesting. I wonder if the reason for this is that "Spinel" is actually the name for a group of minerals (like the Tourmaline family that is large and also Garnets).

Just for info: Spinel is known as the great imposter because it can look like so many other gemstones - rubies, sapphires etc! If I remember correctly the Black Prince Ruby in the Crown Jewels is actually a Spinel!

In terms of durability/wearability, spinels are an 8 on the MOHS scale (so the same as Sapphires) so great for an everyday piece of jewellery AND it has great dispersion so a well cut gem will be nice and glittery!

Unfortunately spinels are now synthesized and are often sold as sapphires, diamonds, rubies etc., and this is probably what has given them a bad name.

Interestingly, a 3ct or above well cut, well saturated spinel is much rarer than a sapphire or ruby! However because it's only a favourite with collectors and people tend to steer away from it in general, it doesn't command the prices that other gemstones can.

i have to say that i love spinels, the sparkle is amazing as is the range of colours. while these new ones are a very pretty colour i dont rate it enough to pay that price lol

as meesh has already said a large spinel is very rare indeed and that is why you tend to see cluster rings etc.

Another fan of Spinel here. Mid 2006 GTV had heaps of Fancy Spinel on their website including many bracelets. After looking and debating for some time I took the plunge and ordered one....8g of YG and over 11 ct of mixed coloured Spinel. I had it for about 5 months and then it broke.....sob sob.....and as Gems couldn't/wouldn't fix it, it was returned. I've put a pic in the attachment below.

How dumb was I for returning it? Cos after that fancy spinel disappeared from the website, certainly all the bracelets! :eek:

Attachments

• Fancy Spinel 51119.jpg
    Fancy Spinel 51119.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 243
Many thanks Meesh and Fluff.

I couldn't get a pic in my product link...hence the attachment.

I remember the pear shaped spinel bracelets, so very pretty with a lovely array of colours like yours Meesh. A good price too, mine was just £119.

Don't remind me - I had those pear shaped fancy spinel bracelets in and out of my basket, and never did buy one. I've always regretted it - if anyone decides to sell one, I'll be first in line!

Oh Sacha how awful for you! Hindsight is such a wonderful thing isn't it? I'm still kicking myself over a couple of things I didn't get when they were on.

I love the clarity and brilliance of Spinels. I was lucky enough to buy a bracelet from a friend recently. It was intended as a Christmas gift, but I couldn't bear to part with it when it arrived! :whistlingsmilie:

The Spinels in the pear cut are so pretty Meesh. :love:

My very first purchase from Gems was a fancy spinel ring - so sparkly and pretty!
I too did the basket dance with the white gold bracelets, and didn't get one :(
I lust after a decent red spinel now, I have a rubbish one and a rather nice one that I suspect is a fake (eBay...). Sadly they now seem to be very pricey indeed, but I will get one eventually. It was nice to see Rocks TV had one or two designs in, though they were in yellow gold - hopefully they'll go for some in white metals in the near future.

i 'umm-ed and ahh-ed' with the fancy spinels bracelets for ages, they seemed to be a never ending supply at gems when i first joined lol i was lucky enough to snatch one just before they disappeared into the ether. a lovely pear tennis style with multi colours but i would love one of the purple tinted ones now. i tried finding the item number on gems but all they have are the details and no picture.
I saw one on ebay ages ago going for about 80 quid(i think) but i have just gotten an uruguayan amethyst one instead

i have just had another look at yours meeshoo and mine is very similar, the same colour and style

Oh Sacha how awful for you! Hindsight is such a wonderful thing isn't it? I'm still kicking myself over a couple of things I didn't get when they were on.

I love the clarity and brilliance of Spinels. I was lucky enough to buy a bracelet from a friend recently. It was intended as a Christmas gift, but I couldn't bear to part with it when it arrived! :whistlingsmilie:

The Spinels in the pear cut are so pretty Meesh. :love:

Thank you Mel for your commiserations. However I'm also in full accord with your next sentence. I could write a list of missed pieces (different gemstones) that I'm still kicking myself about! :2:

:33: I may be barking up the wrong gemstone tree, but I think I recall Scott mention around that time that Spinel became
highly sought after as the Chinese were buying up masses of it for their own market. Consequently pushing up the prices.

How to get photos/videos of old products

Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

Use this link (this is only for the old style numbers)
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/ProductDataSheet.jsp?productid=63292

Change the product code to yours (in the address bar) and press enter.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see that there is the old AND the new code. Make a note of the new code.

Now use this link and enter the new code in the address bar and press enter:
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UOP8273

Hopefully now you'll see a video and/or photo of your item.

Sue - I've emailed you a photo still of the video. It's an absolute nightmare to do and not perfect but hope it helps!!!

M x

Cheers Meesh!! Have saved it and I could never have worked that one out hon. :hail: :D :pPC:

Thanks Meeshoo .... I managed to work it out and had another look at the Colour Change Sapphire bracelet
and ring I am sent back!
cry.gif

And now I hate myself!!
annoyed.gif

Latest posts

Back