Rio Scanning Laser Hair Removal Unit Any Good?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

tootsieannie

Registered Shopper
I have been tempted by the Rio Scanning Laser Hair Removal Unit

http://www.idealworld.tv/Rio_Scanning_Laser_Hair_Removal_Unit_215439.aspx?nav=1&profileId=2142815
its £159,99
but they are also offering one at £69.99
http://www.idealworld.tv/Rio_Salon_Laser_Hair_Removal_System.aspx

Anyone tried these and are they any good?

I have about 5 stubborn hairs (2 on arm & 3 on face) that I would love to kill off forever also I would be keen to do my eyebrows too but not to bothered about legs or underarms so should I just go for the cheaper one or do you think the newer more expensive one would be safer and easier? All thoughts appreciated.

regards
Tootsie

Tootsie, I have a single hair one for sale on this forum here is the link. The only reason I am selling is because it did the trick for me my upper lip is now hair free so don't need it anymore.
I bought my Rio from Ideal world 12mths ago because of my upper lip and chin growth, it is only the single hair remover not the new one which scans 20 hairs, it takes quite a while before you start to notice no regrowth so you do have to be patient it doesn't always work straight away you have to catch the hair at the right growing time, I used it once a week, which probably helped. It was about 6 months before I notice no new hairs coming through.
They do say it won't work on African Caribbean hair or white/grey hair. I am 60 so I am salt and pepper, fortunately the hairs on my lip and chin were coming through dark otherwise it wouldn't have worked on me. I am pleased I no longer have to pluck those unsightly hairs.
http://www.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8298

Just noticed you won't be able to see the thread because you can't access that area of the site. The one I have for sale is the £69 one I am asking £45

Last edited:
I have been interested in buying one for ages but when I googled it the reviews weren`t very good at all, in fact I couldn`t find one good one. Thanks for the info, it will have to go on my next birthday list.

I have been interested in buying one for ages but when I googled it the reviews weren`t very good at all, in fact I couldn`t find one good one. Thanks for the info, it will have to go on my next birthday list.

I googled it too and couldn't find any good reviews either, which put me off as it's pretty expensive.
I'm not sure about using a laser on your eyebrows - can you go round the eyes with one as it sounds a bit dangerous to me?

Calico, in the manual they say not to use it on eyebrows it isn't safe that close to the eyes.
I think it worked for me because I persevered doing it every few days I was determined I would get rid once and for all. I was originally going to go to a salon but it would have cost £30 a session and you need a minimum of 6 sessions. I decided then it was more cost effective to buy the machine and do it myself. It can take as much as 6 months to kill the hair because you have to catch the hairs at the right growing time. I do still have the odd hair coming through that are white unfortunately and the laser won't touch those.

Thanks for clearing that up saphire - I was just a little worried reading that tootsieannie was contemplating doing her brows with it cos lasers are dangerous if not used carefully. I've got a mixture of white and black hairs I'd like to get rid of so I think I'll have to go nuclear!
Glad it worked for you and I wish they'd invented them years ago!

Tootsie, I have a single hair one for sale on this forum here is the link. The only reason I am selling is because it did the trick for me my upper lip is now hair free so don't need it anymore.
I bought my Rio from Ideal world 12mths ago because of my upper lip and chin growth, it is only the single hair remover not the new one which scans 20 hairs, it takes quite a while before you start to notice no regrowth so you do have to be patient it doesn't always work straight away you have to catch the hair at the right growing time, I used it once a week, which probably helped. It was about 6 months before I notice no new hairs coming through.
They do say it won't work on African Caribbean hair or white/grey hair. I am 60 so I am salt and pepper, fortunately the hairs on my lip and chin were coming through dark otherwise it wouldn't have worked on me. I am pleased I no longer have to pluck those unsightly hairs.
http://www.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8298

Just noticed you won't be able to see the thread because you can't access that area of the site. The one I have for sale is the £69 one I am asking £45

Hi Sapphire,
Thank you for your very helpful post, after reading what has been said I think I will hold off, I have not really read any great reviews and I do worry about the very long term effects of using these thing anywhere on the face, I cannot find out anywhere how many years this particular technology has been in use for and whos to say in 20 odd years there are loads of people walking round with tumours through lasers killing off good cells and allowing cancerous ones to grow.
Just a thought I got when I meditated recently and it stopped me in my tracks... I think the tweezers will remain my bezzy mate for a while longer. Thanks to all for your input it is much appreciated and I hope you sell your machine Sapphire;)

Tootsie

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have to add that I have the scanning one (TSV from QVC a few years ago) and will be forever in its debt.

I had some lovely black chin hairs that even electrolysis couldn't get rid of - real stubborn, stiff hairs that seem to pop up halfway through the day just after you've been talking to someone up close. I was determined to get rid of them so bought the TSV in the hope that I could get rid of them before the 30-day MBG. Well, I didn't, but kept it anyway and used it every few months. I got hooked on the smell of burning hair, the pin-prick feeling and the cute little exploded hair left on my chin (which I'd shave off until it fell out a week or so later).

Now these hairs are very distinctive and I've even been tempted to name them (but that would be like keeping chickens as pets and them eating them when they died!). I know exactly where each one resided on my chin and jaw and was very familiar with the one magnificent specimen that had started popping out on my neck. I'd started using my point-nosed tweezers to try to get them out as soon as they broke through the skin, but couldn't resist trying to break the skin to get them before they erupted and have been left with a few marks. That laser has stopped me scarring myself even worse, because after 6-8 zappings, my hair has gone!

I have to say, though, that using it just once on the hair doesn't work. You HAVE to persevere. I counted the zapping the one on my neck took (as it was so easy to keep an eye on) and it took 7 months. It was popping up with disappointing regularity until zap 3 then slowed and came up after about 7 weeks instead of it's usual 2-2 1/2. I zapped it again and it took longer and now I've been hair free since last October.

I'd been tempted to sell it as I seem to be rid of the little buggers for so long, but I will keep it in case they do return one day/new ones pop up. I wish I had the patience to do other parts of my body apart from my face (and big toes :blush:), but as long as these are gone, I think I'll be happy.

I've had medical-grade laser treatments and on the highest setting, the Rio is almost as painful, but seems less as I'm the one using it IYKWIM. I wouldn't be tempted to use it more than once every 6 weeks because of this. The salon lasers need up to 6 treatments (and mine were 2 months apart) to work so this must be only a tad less concentrated - I asked the clinic about the light settings and they're the same range as the Rio) so it's not a quick fix - especially for resistant hairs.

If you buy one of these, don't expect results for a year or so don't expect a quick fix (which is what I strongly suspect a lot of the reviewers have). It's a long-term commitment or a complete waste of time and money. The results are good if you do commit, though.

Sorry about the long post, but I think this item has had unfair reviews and thought I'd try to put the record straight.

rio

I've been looking to get one of these some some time. Had a look on e-bay and they seem to hold their price very well. So when I saw the price on IW (and flexipay) over the weekend I thought bugger it I'll have one.I've got some hairs on me chinny chin chin that seem to be multiplying daily! I nearly got caught out by the postman the other day with shaving foam all round me gob. I don't think I could be bothered doing my legs - that would take forever but the little critters on my chin should be relevently easy (I hope)

I was looking at getting one but was put of by IW terrible delivery times and the bad reviews I had read on other sites.
So PLEASE can you keep us informed as to how well you get on with it as I am sure that it will BACK soon as a Pick of the day.

I bought one of the newer ones in April last year and have been using it each week ever since. Once every six weeks isn't enough for my problem.

I found that I have to have the power setting up on full otherwise it doesn't work. I have lost quite a few hairs but I know I will have to keep going with it.

My problem originally started because I had one stubborn hair and bought one of those epilators from QVC. One stubborn hair gradually increased because I was pulling hair out around the original stubborn one and those hairs too became thicker.

I don't regret buying my machine, but one thing I would say is I don't use it when the other half is around because he will wonder what the heck I am doing to myself.

I bought one of the newer ones in April last year and have been using it each week ever since. Once every six weeks isn't enough for my problem.

I found that I have to have the power setting up on full otherwise it doesn't work. I have lost quite a few hairs but I know I will have to keep going with it.

My problem originally started because I had one stubborn hair and bought one of those epilators from QVC. One stubborn hair gradually increased because I was pulling hair out around the original stubborn one and those hairs too became thicker.

I don't regret buying my machine, but one thing I would say is I don't use it when the other half is around because he will wonder what the heck I am doing to myself.

Its nice to hear some positive feedback on this machine. Tell me LucyLastic if you would - do I have to let the hairs on my chin grow a bit before I zap them or can I shave them off and try and remember where they are!!

If it isn't laser day, I usually shave them off or use a facial depilatory cream; I have with practice managed to time it just right that they are about 1mm when I laser them on the usual day.

thanks for that. The machine arrived in about 8 days - I will start next week when we have finished baling hay, making strawberry jam and pickling beetroot!

I've just bought the Boots Smooth Skin Intense Pulsed Light Hair Reduction System and I have to say it's brilliant. They recommend a course of 6 but I've only used it 3 times so far on my legs and I can already see a huge difference. The only downside is you can't use it on your face (pity) and the cost is currently £249 (normally £299) but I personally think it's well worth the money.

I've just bought the Boots Smooth Skin Intense Pulsed Light Hair Reduction System and I have to say it's brilliant. They recommend a course of 6 but I've only used it 3 times so far on my legs and I can already see a huge difference. The only downside is you can't use it on your face (pity) and the cost is currently £249 (normally £299) but I personally think it's well worth the money.

Does it say why it can't be used on the face? TIA

I've just had a look at the instruction manual and all it says is "Do not use on face" but doesn't say why.

Ive got the scanning 20 hairs one, but its a case of remembering to use it tbh!

I am always very sceptical though, presenters like Loen and Ellis and Dennice all claim to have these yet they never say they are hair free now and they have been selling these machines in one form or another for like 2 years!

I've been using those sandpaper on a pad thingies. I was a bit sceptical as I've tried similar products and they didn't work - but these do.
It's not permanent but it's easy and quick, and exfoliates your legs at the same time.
I love easy things lol!:clapping:

Latest posts

Back