Qvc cost of living winners and losers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

To simplify wildly, the most vulnerable may well be those who are working but are not earning a low enough amount to qualify for support, but not a high enough amount to accommodate any significant increase in basic costs.
Even food banks are struggling as more people are in the "in trouble" band. There are no eay fixes, and I worry that the government is ideologically unable to take the necessary steps as they run counter to their core voters.
Yip we non benefit population are going to find it a lot harder. People forget that to “take home” the equivalent in wages you have to earn a lot more by the time deductions are taken out.

This crisis reminds me a bit of lockdown. Most of us could cope with it but the poorest suffered horribly, trapped indoors with tempers boiling over. The energy/inflation winter will hit middle income folk as well but I fear for the poorest. They have precious little to cut back on. There is absolutely no way that people on pre payment meters should be paying more for energy than those on direct debit. That’s a real scandal and should be banned.

I was thinking that myself, with many people not want to have ovens on etc, they will be more tempted to buy cheap ready meals to ping in the microwave, and whilst some of these meals aren't bad surely cheaper ones are going to have tonnes of additives etc and won't be good for people in the long run,and think of all the plastic used in these containers, think I will try and do a lot of batch cooking and stick in microwave to just heat up
I'm going to try a batch cook in the slow cooker. Wish me luck, because I am not usually too successful with recipes because I can't stick with what they tell me to do. I'm slap dash.

I bought a 3-pack of Lidl pasties which I enjoy. The UB date was 9th September so I planned to have one every 2 or 3 days.

But when I read the small print it said once opened to use within 2 days, so it will be a pasty for me 3 days running!

If I'd known, I would have frozen 2 of them, as they freeze and cook well.

I'm going to try a batch cook in the slow cooker. Wish me luck, because I am not usually too successful with recipes because I can't stick with what they tell me to do. I'm slap dash.
Yes, I may dig my old slow cooker out and have a go with it, perhaps its me but I always find the veg overcooks in them, and puts me off a bit,

I rarely brown meat etc for slow cooking. Just chop and bung it all in! Good stock pots, seasoning and herbs/ spices depending on what I'm cooking. Tomato puree always helps. If gravy/ sauce too thin then 30 mins or so before serving I stir in some McDougall thickening granules. Job done! My get is never mushy, only spuds to into the gravy when I make scouse, and they are meant to!!

I rarely brown meat etc for slow cooking. Just chop and bung it all in! Good stock pots, seasoning and herbs/ spices depending on what I'm cooking. Tomato puree always helps. If gravy/ sauce too thin then 30 mins or so before serving I stir in some McDougall thickening granules. Job done! My get is never mushy, only spuds to into the gravy when I make scouse, and they are meant to!!
Bung some booze in if you have any. We've started freezing any leftover (?) wine in ice cube trays.

We had family over last weekend and someone bought a bottle of rose. It was opened but half a bottle was left as hubby not keen on rose.,I'm a G&T lover .

Yes, skets everywhere, so seems to defeat the point of a slow cooker, which, imo, is bunging everything in and forgetting about it. But a white chicken looks nasty. I'm no expert at all.
Interesting, Donna. I’ve had mb samples and don’t feel the love. I can’t see how they justify their prices for gels. Even the body lotion didn’t wow me. I know they have lots of fans so you might be right but if money’s really tight I’m not sure.
I wouldn’t pay full price for it now. £25 for a shower gel is crazy, and £27 for the shimmerr versions. But there are always good bargains to be found, and I think,lots of us stock up then.

Okay, moving on from the slow cooker, let us talk the pressure cooker.

I loved mine, you could cook multi things in it and the veg was gorgeous. Also, quicker cooking.
My mum was queen of the pressure cooker, it was actually scary watching her working with her ancient one!

She did the steak and kidney mix in it before encasing it in her fab pastry and she used to do a big pork joint in it and then a wee while in the oven to crisp up, it made a terrific base for rich gravey.

I used a crockpot for many years but when it went bell up I bought a small slow cooker which is totally metal so if the gravey/sauce is too thin you can put it directly on the hob to quickly thicken it up.

Back