"Who is not happy with the "old" chit/chat room Idea

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Having read all this thread, just a few thoughts...(I'm gemjunkie on Rocks in case you didn't know.)

I e-mailed Steve and he replied saying he's out of the country but will look at the issue when he gets back...He said Chat was split due to a barrage of complaints - I also heard that a couple of people apparently thought Rocks was a gay site and were trying to chat up Jamie and Haydn...

Now, while we don't want people coming on purely to chat up the presenters, I venture to suggest that the presenters, being mostly from the world of broadcasting, acting or modelling, would presumably accept that this sort of attention goes with the job. If the unwelcome remarks (I didn't see them - why do I miss all the fun lol) were simply ignored, the perpetrators would realise their mistake and go away - or perhaps be sent an explanatory e-mail... I can't see a reason to complain - cosy chat is fine but it's the real world after all!

Similarly if certain people make malicious comments, if these are ignored, they too will get fed up and stop - no-one continues this sort of thing unless they get a reaction. A warning e-mail if it continues, surely would sort them out too...(ah, but what if they're good customers and spend a fortune...)

Re requests - the suggestion of a Request Button is great...There should be a big notice on the Auction page, saying that requests can only be dealt with if made through this facililty - and explaining why.

Interaction with the presenters is indeed the Unique Selling Point with Rocks. Who remembers the hilarious evening we had making egg jokes (sorry yolks)...Carol was in hysterics and enjoyed it along with us - under the new system this would never have happened - it can't be much fun having to present and enthuse over the same pieces of jewellery for six hours night after night - it must do the presenters good to have banter with us all.

OK it's only a Chat room, but I've made personal friends on there - live chat is recognised as one of the most powerful marketing tools there is. Without it I and many other people wouldn't have spent nearly so much money.

I don't like being confronted with arbitrary Rules when I log in - I object to being told what I can say by people I might buy from. What shop tells you what you can talk about when you come in the door?

There have been objections to people talking about personal issues in Chat...but it's what people do. If others don't like it, they don't have to read it, or they can change the subject back to jewellery if that's all they want to talk about, instead of complaining. I've often logged in just to see who was about and say hello, and seen an item I'd previously missed, and bought it...

It seems from posts on here that the majority want Chat returned to what it was...

Last edited:
H...Now, while we don't want people coming on purely to chat up the presenters, I venture to suggest that the presenters, being mostly from the world of broadcasting, acting or modelling, would presumably accept that this sort of attention goes with the job. If the unwelcome remarks (I didn't see them - why do I miss all the fun lol) were simply ignored, the perpetrators would realise their mistake and go away - or perhaps be sent an explanatory e-mail... I can't see a reason to complain - cosy chat is fine but it's the real world after all!
I think you are right to some extent about the attention that some people should expect and as a rule, the presenters deal with it really well. Jamie, for example, ignores lots of stuff coming from chat. Barry has a giggle but he is a professional. Up until now most of it has been gentle teasing rather than anything serious (I accept it's all still distracting!). Regarding your other point, I think some people refuse to be ignored, unfortunately!

I missed the first appearance of the person you are referring to (I hear it was very unpleasant rather than fun). I was there earlier this week (on the day he was banned). Initially, I thought he was a she. He said 'I need a man' and then said something (I can't remember what) about Jamie. You know how we all get when we are joking so I said 'you need to get behind the other thousand or so women ahead of you!' to which he responded 'I'll have you know I'm a man'.

At that point I became aware of tension in chat because someone said 'not much of a man'. I didn't initially tie it to what was being said because chat was moving quickly. I said to him that if that were the case, he was out of luck because he wasn't Jamie's type (because we all know Jamie dates women). This person then said quite aggressively 'How do you know?'. Now I am not sure who he was talking to because there were several people asking him to pipe down by then, including Anita and there were one or two people having conversations with him too.

He said something else quite explicit in chat, was very aggressive to a couple of people in the chat room and then started saying stuff directed at Jamie (I can't for the life of me remember what - I just remember feeling shocked because it was pretty full on). It was the sort of talk you might hear around sites where you go to pick people up. Well, that was the verbal grenade! There was a stunned silence and then Anita said there was no need for that. I said that I didn't think the conversation he was having was appropriate for a shopping site. I couple of other people said something too. This person got nastier and nastier despite being asked to stop several times by Anita and others (because he was trying to get Jamie's attention - thank God Jamie ignored him!). He was then banned.

After that I was left thinking what the heck happened there? And I was told that this person had been much, much worse the day before and though I initially joked that I always miss everything, I was glad I missed it.

In many ways, I can understand why they have introduced two rooms. If this person wants to come back, they will find themselves banished to Chit Chat (I would imagine). That said, I can't say I am thrilled with the two chat room set up, with strict "only bling talk" in Rocks Chat now (because we can't have a joke with the presenters any more in case people miss requests). It WILL affect my willingness to buy in future because a) I hate being told what I can and can't talk about and that includes by people in the room; and b) much as I love bling, I like to talk about other things around the bling - things of my choosing. I cannot be asked to swap audiences to go from Rocks Chat to Chit Chat and back again, having several conversations with different people (all for the sake of doing things the new way). Do I care enough to make a big deal of it? No. I will just buy considerably less from now on. It's no biggie.

My name is R0ckstarr on the site, by the way and I am not here very often, unfortunately.

Hi Hollybee - didn't know you were ROckstarr too! If I may say so, I don't think Rocks should want to lose such a good customer! Thanks for the info on the incident - it does sound a bit iffy - but it's only one person out of many - it's a public forum and will attract all sorts! We're all adults (well mostly - I understand there was an objection recently to a child being on there...) Just have to try and keep it as civilised as possible...

This was the reason Chat now gets cut off at 12.30am - I was in a convo with someone one night who claimed to be some sort of medium and said they'd had Messages through Chat...it got a bit heavy and the next night Chat was cut off...it was inappropriate for a shopping site actually, so I can't really blame them for that move - they can't moderate 24/7...

Anyway I think it's now too complicated...

I've not chatted on Rocks for a very long time although I do buy occassionally and have followed this thread from the start. I don't know if the report post "x" button is still there but wouldn't it just be easier to have an ignore button? Then if anyone posts inappropriate chat you can just hit the ignore button and poof no more nonsense. I play Warcraft (online game with lots of chat) and use the ignore button alot as there's always filthy talk

meshoo - not sure which is chat 1 or chat 2 viz-a-vis chat and chit chat - I did see the term 'golden gang' but I have no idea where it originated - I got the impression that those of us in chit chat had been referred to as such by some in chat - and had therefore decided to adopt it - but I could be mistaken

I haven't watched Rocks or been in chat for months. The chat room I remember was full of fun and a great place to be. I watched the chat last night for about 30 minutes and was horrified.

"Golden Gang" was not being used in an affectionate or familiar way. It was definitely being used to divide and create an "us" and "them" mode. Those same people were also making negative remarks about st.com and about the new system - being rude about Rocks only wanting to make the changes to make more money etc etc.

The worst thing I saw was when somebody, who is clearly unwell at the moment, was discussing her ailments and I think had been the target of somebody's hostility previously on chat and the "clique" who were dominating chat completely ignored her. It was tantamount to bullying. If I had been SteveB I would have pulled the plug immediately. The only people who responded to her in a kind manner were regulars from st.com.

Somebody even said "I find lurkers rude"! FFS - GROW UP. Who on earth would want to participate in a chat room with such hostility? Rude? I don't think so. Sensible more like.

I can now understand why new visitors to Rocks wouldn't want to buy or visit the site.

Siren - unfortunately the report or ignore button isn't there at the moment.

Last edited:
Somebody even said "I find lurkers rude"! FFS - GROW UP. Who on earth would want to participate in a chat room with such hostility? Rude? I don't think so. Sensible more like.

I was watching at the same time as you - and was thinking about joining in (which would have been the first time in quite a while) on the basis that positive comments can help.

Then I saw that comment and I'm afraid I had a fairly juvenile reaction 'well if they think I'm being rude by lurking, then I don't want to play anyway'

It was uncomfortable to watch the chat.

Having said that I wouldn't want it to go, it is a unique feature that makes Rocks stand apart from the other online retailers.

I was watching at the same time as you - and was thinking about joining in (which would have been the first time in quite a while) on the basis that positive comments can help.

Then I saw that comment and I'm afraid I had a fairly juvenile reaction 'well if they think I'm being rude by lurking, then I don't want to play anyway'

It was uncomfortable to watch the chat.

Having said that I wouldn't want it to go, it is a unique feature that makes Rocks stand apart from the other online retailers.

I haven't been on Rocks for over a month cos I got soooo carried away:15: I used to enjoy the chat and of course I'd then see something I fancied lol!
Sounds like things are going a bit pear shaped which is a shame. I know there were times when the chatters were ignoring what was being shown but it I'm sure there would have been an easier way of doing it.
Us and Them???
Puts me off even having a look now :(

Hi to those who remember me:47:

x

I haven't watched Rocks or been in chat for months. The chat room I remember was full of fun and a great place to be. I watched the chat last night for about 30 minutes and was horrified.

"Golden Gang" was not being used in an affectionate or familiar way. It was definitely being used to divide and create an "us" and "them" mode. Those same people were also making negative remarks about st.com and about the new system - being rude about Rocks only wanting to make the changes to make more money etc etc.

The worst thing I saw was when somebody, who is clearly unwell at the moment, was discussing her ailments and I think had been the target of somebody's hostility previously on chat and the "clique" who were dominating chat completely ignored her. It was tantamount to bullying. If I had been SteveB I would have pulled the plug immediately. The only people who responded to her in a kind manner were regulars from st.com.

I can now understand why new visitors to Rocks wouldn't want to buy or visit the site.

I think there is a clique on the site. Definitely. I wasn't around for the "Golden Gang" conversation but I did catch the tail end of a prolonged discussion a couple of days ago, where it was suggested that the chat room was divisive and we were being treated like second class citizens. There are certain individuals in Chit Chat who are trying to play 'top dog', dictating what can and can't be discussed when in reality they should just ignore any conversations they don't want to be a part of. I can see how outsiders would view that as intimidating and, I have to say, I am not having any truck with that. If I log onto the site, no one is going to tell me what I can and can't talk about (unless what I am saying is inappropriate, of course!).

I will admit, I was stunned by the speed with which the new chat rooms were set up but I take the view that whatever Rocks do is up to them, because it's their business. Yes, some people might make comments about them only doing things to increase their profit but I don't see anything wrong with that! The bottom line is they are a business. They are there to make money. It just so happens that for a long time, they did it in a way that was pretty unique and fun. They made us feel more included than most retailers do. And, without meaning to be rude, I think that sense of inclusion confused some people about the nature of our relationship with Rocks, and their ongoing obligations to us, as customers.

I have lost count of the number of people who talk about regulars as a 'family'. It sounds cold but we are not a family! We are people who love jewellery, who love shopping for jewellery and who congregate at Rocks because they sell nice jewellery at great prices, they have great presenters AND they have a chat room facility (so we can talk and become friends). That doesn't make us a family.

There are also people who seem to think Rocks owe us a say in all their decision making. THEY DON'T! The nature of our interaction with them is purely transactional. They offer jewellery and we buy it. They fulfill their obligation to us when our jewellery is delivered and we decide to accept it. They do not owe us anything else. One could argue that they give us more than they are obligated to because they sell us jewellery at massively discounted prices! So what more do people think they owe us? The fact that they have expressed a willingness to hear our views is good of them!

I personally do not understand all the bad feeling over this. Yes, it is clear that some people rely on the Rocks community. There are some who come there to talk about things that are happening in their lives. I have no comment on any of that (I do it myself, to some extent when I talk - in a limited fashion! - about my new relationship). There are some people who seem to be saying they will withdraw their custom because things are now being done in a way that they are not happy with. That is their choice. I personally think it is wrong to try and strong arm a business into doing things your way. We don't have to buy from Rocks - we all know that. And so do they. Of course I am sure they hope we will keep buying but they have to cater for everyone - new customers as well as their existing customer base. And if their new customers are being intimidated or put off by chat, they have to do something about it. It is business 101.

As stated earlier, I am not bothered enough about the changes to take any kind of stand. I was only ever there to shop. The conversation was a bonus. The way I look at it is if I were that bothered, I would just stop shopping there. As it is, I am spending less time on the site these days and that invariably means I will spend an awful lot less (which is great news for my savings account!). But I was spending less time on site even before these changes were implemented so it's no biggie to me.

Last edited:
I am lost for words. Agree with most that has been said so far. As you all know I used to be rockaholics and have bought lots in the past. Have been very good for 4 weeks now thanks to m4g and our bet!!

The last few days I have actually turned rocks off which is a first for me and my OH was shocked too!! Rocks used to be good fun but with all the recent happenings its not.

Hope Steve and Co. can resolve this asap and bring back the fun or they will loose regulars buyers!!!

BH xx

I haven't been on Rocks for over a month cos I got soooo carried away:15: I used to enjoy the chat and of course I'd then see something I fancied lol!
Sounds like things are going a bit pear shaped which is a shame. I know there were times when the chatters were ignoring what was being shown but it I'm sure there would have been an easier way of doing it.
Us and Them???
Puts me off even having a look now :(

Hi to those who remember me:47:

x

Hi hope you are well. Sorry who are you again :)

Sorry Meeshoo I think I must have come in at the end of that bit - I know I was fortunate to miss most of the nastiness last night. From what you say I obviously put a better interpretation on what I saw than actually fitted the facts.

I suspect that a lot of us are saying things that should not be said - and would not be said in the cold light of day - in the heat of the moment and I'm afraid I must agree that at times things have got completely out of hand.

I was talking to my daughter (a very sensible 23 year old who chats on various gaming forums) and she said that the forum that she finds the most pleasant to be on is the one that has the strictest moderators. It has very explicit rules and they are enforced in a pretty draconian way without fear or favour: one transgression and you receive a warning, two and you are banned for a week, three and you are permanently banned.

Now that Rocks Chat has grown way beyond (Isuspect) the cosy little room it was to begin with, perhaps Steve should consider a complete rethink - decide what he wants from Chat, how much banter/ off-topic chat is acceptable etc, what warnings will be delivered and the escalation of punishments to a final ban, whether requests will be taken or totally ignored from Chat, etc, etc. Having decided all that, he could let us all know - and then enforce those rules.

I am sure there would be some squawks of outrage to begin with and a few lost tail feathers (probably mine included) but in the long run if the new rules were applied consistently there would be no option but to abide by them and I think on the whole the majority of people would be as happy as possible.

Oh, I almost forgot, the other thing both my daughter and OH (also an experienced forum chatter) were amazed at was the fact that delete and move buttons were available to be used by chatters - in their experience this is a HUGE can of worms and felt that 'ignore' or 'report' buttons would be more appropriate.

Thanks again for explaining your point Meeshoo

I did see the lurkers comment and thought it was out of order, so were several comments I read last night. As for people turning it into a "them" and "us", that is ridiculous, it doesn't help anyone.

The X for reporting/deleting a post is still there, sometimes it does disappear but a quick refresh and it reappers :)

I'm not in the same league as BH, but have bought a few things now and then :whistle: but I've actually found it easy not to buy recently, as it's been the same old same old going round and round. OK, it's not old stock for the newer buyers, but even the few new items haven't been tempting me.

Completely agree with you BH, I didn't see the first instance of Jamie's 'Fan', but did see the comments immediately prior to his ban.

I've always felt uncomfortable about personal remarks to the presenters and have said so in chat, and been told "it's just a bit of fun".

Whether this incident has been the catalyst for the change I don't know, I can see all the points of view expressed so far, but the 'atmosphere' has certainly changed, and like you, I didn't even bother to log on yesterday.

What's the solution? The request button is a brilliant idea, as for the chit chat room, it doesn't bother me to use it if I'm not buying, but that doesn't seem to be a sceaming success either at the moment.

:doggie:

Last edited:
People never cease to amaze me......

Last night I had a look at the "chit chat" at times, at one point I got chatting briefly with a couple of people as it became apparent they have the same medical condition as me. It didn't go on for too long but today at one point I read one of the instigators from the trouble a couple of nights ago complaining that they felt they had been in a doctors surgery last night!!!!! So they think it is acceptable for them to spend hours moaning about the changes to the chat but anything else they don't like!!! Charming!!

Then I read someone making disparaging comments about the presenters appearance, they did it in "chit chat" as they thought the presenter wouldn't see it, bet they got a shock a few minutes later when presenter said hello to everyone in "chit chat" which while not on their big screen they had showing on the laptop beside them!!!!

As I said, people never cease to amaze me :rolleyes:

Then I read someone making disparaging comments about the presenters appearance, they did it in "chit chat" as they thought the presenter wouldn't see it, bet they got a shock a few minutes later when presenter said hello to everyone in "chit chat" which while not on their big screen they had showing on the laptop beside them!!!!

As I said, people never cease to amaze me :rolleyes:
I saw that. People making nasty comments about Jamie's stubble. I thought he looked fine but, more importantly, he is still Jamie. Okay, he was not immaculately groomed but I suppose he has enough of that when he is working at his other job! When he is not working, he probably thinks "stuff it, I am not going to shave today (or this week!)". Good for him! Then some of them were telling him to have a shave! What a cheek! If the man wanted to come to work looking like Catweezle, I wouldn't recommend it but that's his business!

I would LOVE to see the state of some of the people who were criticising him!

Even though we were having fun today with Jamie, when I went into Chit Chat today I ended up leaving because it was wall to wall moaning about the changes! I get that some people are upset about it but do we really need hours of moaning?

I saw that. People making nasty comments about Jamie's stubble. I thought he looked fine but, more importantly, he is still Jamie. Okay, he was not immaculately groomed but I suppose he has enough of that when he is working at his other job! When he is not working, he probably thinks "stuff it, I am not going to shave today (or this week!)". Good for him! Then some of them were telling him to have a shave! What a cheek! If the man wanted to come to work looking like Catweezle, I wouldn't recommend it but that's his business!

I would LOVE to see the state of some of the people who were criticising him!

Even though we were having fun today with Jamie, when I went into Chit Chat today I ended up leaving because it was wall to wall moaning about the changes! I get that some people are upset about it but do we really need hours of moaning?

I didn't see that, what I was referring to happened after 6pm.

I can't believe people are still moaning about it! enough already, people have made there point, have moaned loads yesterday, and steve and john have replied on here, and from what i have read on here i believe barry also went on chat yesterday.
Personally i think if people don't like the 2 chat rooms, they should email steve like he said to in his post on here, and leave it be for now.

All i want to do is say hello to you all and ask if you are all ok,and talk about the bling. But i feel i will just lurk as i dont want to upset anyone in the two rooms. I feel sorry for the new customers as they will be more confused than me. I was with rocks from day one and the chat was fantastic we all had fun and got some fantastic bargains in the old style auction.It would be great if we had an hour of the old style auctions again.

Latest posts

Back