I've just had 'the phone call'!!!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just to clarify my understanding. At what point does this over 50% kick in? If I send my first order back then I've returned 100%, if my second then that is 50%, etc. :taphead:

Each purchase is individual. Any programme aired at any time of day or night BRAGS over and over again that you should try the item - get it home - use it in your own surroundings etc etc etc etc etc and if not satisfied return within 30 days. If you do not mean this, QVC, do not harp on about it.
If you add to that the fact that in fashion hours the presenter often suggests that if you're not sure of your size you order two different sizes and send back the one that doesn't fit, you'd soon be up to your 50% 'allowance'.

Does anyone else think it is time for us to contact 'Trading Standards' about this. I believe that it is the conditions of having an account somewhere but I have never heard of any other organisation using these kind of tactics. During a one hour show I bet they mention the 30dmbg at least three times!
I suspect their argument is that the call/letter is purely for marketing purposes, I imagine though it has upset a few people, as I've mentioned before I had the letter and like other people here i have always returned goods in the same condition in which they arrived. As someone here said though that is not taken into account.

i would love them to give me a ring i can tell you they wouldnt ring again and i would proberly be BANNED

its in their terms and conditions

9.3 It is our policy to contact and work with customers whose level of returns is very high. This is to ensure that our prices are not negatively impacted by the cost to QVC of dealing with an extremely high number of returns by a small minority of customers. If a customer continues to return an extremely high number of products to us, we reserve the right to close their account. If this happens the customer’s statutory rights will remain unaffected, orders accepted by us before the account has been closed will be fulfilled in accordance with these terms and individual product warranties will continue to be honoured in accordance with their terms

I am disgusted !, phoning on a Sunday, I thought the letter was bad but this is harassment .
After seeing some of the products for sale at Warrington some people are abusing the 30 day try it period they try use and send back items in a terrible state !, I wonder if this is monitored (I doubt it !).
I wonder if they will look at my account ?, my Laura Gellar TSV didnt arrive and I have had refunds on quite a few plants that died !, all shown as returned, which they were not !.
Wise up QVC look after your customers, treat us with respect !.

Does anyone else think it is time for us to contact 'Trading Standards' about this. I believe that it is the conditions of having an account somewhere but I have never heard of any other organisation using these kind of tactics. During a one hour show I bet they mention the 30dmbg at least three times!
I suspect their argument is that the call/letter is purely for marketing purposes, I imagine though it has upset a few people, as I've mentioned before I had the letter and like other people here i have always returned goods in the same condition in which they arrived. As someone here said though that is not taken into account.

I definitely think it's time to contact Trading Standards in Liverpool about this and also QVC's policy of sending out returned items in a 'not fit' state as new goods. As I have said in another post, there's no point in complaining to QVC as you will get fobbed off with a standard reply, they should be reported and investigated.

Also to add after seeing baileyboo's post: Fair enough that they have stated that in their T's & C's. However that is not the impression that is given on air by the presenters who actively encourage people to buy, try and sent back items under the 30 day guarantee. They should add " Subject to our Terms and Conditions" or have a disclaimer at the bottom of the screen.

Last edited:

A friend of mine worked for freemans cataloguequite some time ago, and again they also withdrew your account if your return rate was too high. Have no idea of exactly what that meant as I never had a catalogue, but apparently Next do it too?

I'm really shocked about this, and I definitely think we should be kicking up more of a fuss when what QVC say on air doesn't match our experience in real life.

It seems counterintuitive for them to do something like this. It can't possibly result in more sales can it?

Maybe there's trouble at t' Towers?

As far as NEXT are concerned I have ordered about £1000 worth of stuff since I joined a couple of months ago and so far ALL of it has gone back.

MY mum's been having chemo and losing weight very rapidly so I've been ordering racks of smaller size stuff online for her to try on at home, as she's not up to a shopping trip at the moment - and so far nothing from NEXT has been suitable. I shall await their version of The letter / phonecall. :eek:

to avoid this scenerio i buy mainly clearance stuff and items that are regular high street brands and i know the quality and can readily check prices...
qvc brands do nothing for me( barring the techniques range)
the nn bedding is awfull and some of the clothes are an embarrssment...
someone said qvc should do more products...
it depends on what they are going to selll...

Best wishes to your Mum from me also Love A'kin.

With all this talk of letters and threats perhaps it's better to go back to the High Street to shop.

I'm now very aware of what I return. QVC wins again, I'm afraid.

Thank you Violet. :flower:

I'm still not sure how they work the maths out. Is it a monthly quarterly or annual total?

I'm ordering a lot less and being very discerning about what I keep so my percentage is going to start going up isn't it?

I think if I got the call I'd have to do the ultimate F.A.R.T. and cancel my account.

I'm really shocked about this, and I definitely think we should be kicking up more of a fuss when what QVC say on air doesn't match our experience in real life.

It seems counterintuitive for them to do something like this. It can't possibly result in more sales can it?

Maybe there's trouble at t' Towers?

As far as NEXT are concerned I have ordered about £1000 worth of stuff since I joined a couple of months ago and so far ALL of it has gone back.

MY mum's been having chemo and losing weight very rapidly so I've been ordering racks of smaller size stuff online for her to try on at home, as she's not up to a shopping trip at the moment - and so far nothing from NEXT has been suitable. I shall await their version of The letter / phonecall. :eek:

Best wishes to your mum, Love A'kin. Have you got a GAP nearby? My mum lost lots of weight after chemo and is still very slight. She finds that GAP are small enough for her and fitted to a smaller frame in some of their styles. Hope that is helpful to you.

Best wishes to your Mum from me also Love A'kin.

With all this talk of letters and threats perhaps it's better to go back to the High Street to shop.

I'm now very aware of what I return. QVC wins again, I'm afraid.

Looking at it another way though if we are all more choosy about what we order and minimise our returns that way then we are the winners.

Last edited:
Thank you Violet. :flower:

I'm still not sure how they work the maths out. Is it a monthly quarterly or annual total?

I'm ordering a lot less and being very discerning about what I keep so my percentage is going to start going up isn't it?

I think if I got the call I'd have to do the ultimate F.A.R.T. and cancel my account.

PS And is it 50% in £££ or in the number of items ordered?

The definition of 'Returned' is a puzzle. I've requested replacements for broken items, but if they're out of stock, the money is refunded and the item marked 'Returned'. Which it isn't.

Right Ladies and Gents, here is my letter!

Dear Sir/Madam,

Today I received a phone call from one of your service reps to discuss my 'high rate of returns'. Quite why this issue needed to be discussed at lunchtime on a Sunday is beyond me!

To address the issue at hand -

1. I was not aware of your '50% return rate', especially given your almost constant '30 day no quibble money back guarantee' sales pitch on every item shown. Never at any time is this return rate mentioned on screen, in fact when checking your terms and conditions this 50% figure is not mentioned, only 'excessive returns'. Perhaps your customers should be made aware of this return rate rule? Also, how can your 30 day money back guarantee be 'no quibble' when there obviously is a major quibble?

2. I would not need to return items if they were not 'oversold' by your presenters! Are you suggesting that I should keep items I have ordered and been very disappointed in, especially after being constantly assured of their quality / comfort / suitability / fit etc?

3. With regard to skin care and make up, if a range is recommended as suitable for a particular skin type and then causes a reaction to that skin should I also keep these items??

As you will note from my customer account I have been a QVC customer for several years and have spent a considerable amount of money with you. Needless to say I will not be spending anymore with you! I would like my account closed with immediate effect, thereby preventing any further phone calls from you to my home on ay weekends and my disappointment in inferior products and the costs I have incurred in the past returning these items. In fact, you have actually done me a huge favour in prompting me to close my account, so thank you!

Yours Sincerely,

So, is it sufficiently snotty yet sarcastic?? Can't wait to post it in the morning, it's made me feel so much better. I used to send such wishy washy complaint letters but feel much more satisfied sending snotty ones!!

Latest posts

Back