Help Please for skin problem

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

catseye

Registered Shopper
My skin and eyes are becoming super sensitive for some reason. I have used Liz Earle to try to calm things down but even this range is causing a problem. I am in dire need of help as my face seems to burn when I apply anything to it. Suggestions would be very welcome. I was thinking about SBC. Any thoughts on this.

I would defiantly give SBC a try its worked wonders for me :) , id suggest the Aloe Vera and Propolis gels mixed together.

Elemis SOS Emergency cream works for me. It is a bit sticky but calms my skin down after a couple of days use. Best prices are on ebay for a 15ml tube. Hope your skin calms down soon

I agree about mixing theSBC gels like Autumn suggests. I had breakouts for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago. Mixing aloe vera and propolis mixed together was reccommended to me and although the results took a few days my skin is now noticeably better, smoother and clearer. Because my skin tends to be on the drier, sensitive side I do need to apply a bit of my usual moisturiser (Judith Williams Phytomineral) over the top.

However, having said all that if your skin is red raw with sensitivity I would wait a few days and put nothing on it at all and just wash with plain water or an unfragranced completely hypoallergenic cleanser if you must. Apply just a little vaseline to moisturise and to provide a barrier from the elements.Something must have triggered it, it could be a change in anything you have applied that you don't normally do, central heating, cold weather. So give your skin time to heal and recover before trying anything new on it and see a your GP if you need to. Once your skin has calmed down you could do far worse than SBC. I cleanse with Emma Hardie moringa balm, then I mix my SBC gels( collagen, aloe vera and propolis) then apply a dab of Judith Williams phytomineral. My skin is the best it's been in ages now.

Catseye I would do as Autumn suggests and try Propolis/aloe vera gels from SBC. I have flare ups of psoriasis on my face and chest from time to time, and Propolis has been my go-to savior each time. I'm not sure if Liz Earle cleanser and moisturiser have been changed recently, because I've been using them for years too with no problems and have been getting reactions myself. The one Liz Earle product I can still use and which I always find soothing is the Instant boost skin tonic. I sometimes put it in the fridge for a while and that is even more calming.I have also changed to Akin unperfumed moisturiser ( 50ml pot ) and I haven't had a problem with that, and it doesn't feel at all heavy on the skin. I hope you find something that works for you, I'm sure there will be plenty of help on here.

Thanks for suggestions. I will get the SBC gels and give them a try. I too have noticed a change in Liz Earle products. The moisturiser feels like it is burning my face and I don't recall this happening in the past when I have used it. Thanks again

My skin once became ultra sensitive and I found this range of products which calmed it, soothed it and restored the balance. It really worked for me and even now if I feel something is upsetting my skin I return to this range for a few days.
http://www.weleda.co.uk/page/almond

1) Take an antihistamine such as Loretidine and see if your reactions remain the same.
2) Purchase 2 aloe vera plants from a local garden centre. Put them on the brightest window cill, preferably in your kitchen. Harvest a small portion of leaf each day for moisturising after a shower.
3) Seal the moisture in with pure vitamin E oil or a dab of almond oil. Another great product is "Natraderm" from Holland & Barrett.

http://natraderm.co.uk/

The fewer ingredients, the less chance of a reaction. Remember - Only water softens skin. Only oil will lock it in!
4) If problems persist look at other variables in diet / life situation or environment.
5) Keep a skin diary. Take photos to chart progress over time. Pay attention to colour, sensation, radiance, texture, hydration.
6) See GP for referral to a dermatologist.
7) Use an SPF or if you are wearing make-up, stick to a basic BB cream which includes an SPF.
8) Patch test any new product for 3 days in a row before using.

Last edited:
Organic Argan Oil

I know you are being bombarded with ideas etc and you must go with what you feel is right for you. But do consider Josie Marans pure organic Argan Oil. 100% Argan oil, no fragrance and I have found it to be absolutely fantastic if skin is being sensitive etc. Julius is right when he says the less ingredients the better, and this oil just has the one ingredient. I would highly recommend and feel sure it would calm and restore your skin. I have used for a few months no and I heard Julia Roberts recently singing its praises saying she used it when her skin was ultra sensitive.

http://www.qvcuk.com/Josie-Maran-100%25-Pure-Argan-Oil-and-Colour-Stick.product.202398.html?sc=202398-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-2-_-202398

Premae Skincare is billed as the world's first allergen free beauty brand and has won several awards. It was fantastic when l developed severe sensitivity on my face. My cheeks would go absolutely scarlet and burn terribly, no matter what l used, but Premae calmed it down and rebalanced it. l continue to use it often now and find Premae works wonders for any sensitivity.

Should add that's it's accredited as cruelty-free by CFI too.

Last edited:
I totally agree with everyone about keeping your skincare range simple, also don't expect any quick fixes it will take time so which every products you decide to try give them a good few weeks/ month. Also becareful if your wearing makeup , if you need to wear it, use something like bare minerals as it will be less harsh on your skin, Let us know how you get on x

Okay, first thing. Get to the doctor Your skin sounds painful and an allergic reaction might need steroid creams.

Wash your face in luke warm water nothing else, no makeup or mascara etc. Go to a local health food store and get a small tube of calendula cream(do not use the SBC one it has alcohol in it), should be around £5.

Once we get your face sorted, then you patch test behind your ear before using a product. Now this will take 24 hours for each test and a pain in the ass, but better than flare ups.

Another range l find very good for scarlet, burning cheeks is Superdrug's Simply Pure Aqua Hydrating line. Fragrance free, paraben free and hypoallergenic. l use the serum and the night cream and my face is always much better in the morning. Also only cost 3 or 4 quid each! Personally l prefer to use this or Premae to normalise my skin rather than steroid creams - l don't like steroids and their side effects in any shape or form.

(Superdrug products are certified cruelty free too.)

stay away from fancy expensive skincare they have the most toxic ingredients and loaded with essential oils which in themselves are quite irritating. some people who I know use all the designer skincare have the worse skin not all but some. less is more. and go to you dr asap

L'occitane pure Shea butter is very good on sensitive skin too. You only need the tiniest bit but make sure it is the 100% Shea in a tin. I use it on all parts of my face and body when needed and have very sensitive skin. SBC propitious gets a vote as well.

What Donna says. I've had a few reactions the last few years - oh, the joy of getting older! And the itching!!

I tried SBC propolis and fresh aloe vera. I also tried some Creme de la Mer that was bought for me years ago and I never really got on with. The La Mer worked overnight! I'd never used it "properly" before as I'm always cold, even in the height of summer. However, I've been taking extreme measures against getting cold, especially before bed as I cannot sleep unless I'm warm and hate wasting hours in bed trying to get warm. Anyway, for the first time ever, I actually had warm enough fingers to "liquefy" the La Mer (boy, what a weird feeling - turned from a heavy, thick, lumpy cream to a slippy,soft, smooth liquid silk), applied to my skin, and WOW! Next morning it was clear (it did come back a few weeks later, though). I've run out now and can't afford a new pot yet so I'm using the stuff the doctor gave me. Steroid cream and a HUGE tub of a really cheap cream that I forget the name of - something-mol. My old doctor gave me Diprobase (didn't work), but this stuff has been quite good. I assume it's some kind of aqueous cream as you can wash with it, too.

The steroid cream does the trick, though. If you can't get to your doctor, you can buy it over the counter for a few quid.

Hope your skin clears up soon. I'd never had these reactions before, so never had much empathy, but I've walked in your shoes now and they're not nice to have.

Thank you all for your good suggestions. I took an antihistamine last night and only splashed some warm water on my face this morning. It has calmed down quite a bit but I think I will stay away from all products for a few days. Thank goodness the burning feeling has gone.

Laura Geller's champagne primer makes my cheeks burn immediately I apply it - I was a bit surprised. Her B&B makes my face itch but only very slightly.

It's all very well saying go to the GP. It is pointless going to the GP without first having tried my suggestions as they will likely not be able to diagnose the condition without those bits of information.

Premae Skincare is billed as the world's first allergen free beauty brand and has won several awards. It was fantastic when l developed severe sensitivity on my face. My cheeks would go absolutely scarlet and burn terribly, no matter what l used, but Premae calmed it down and rebalanced it. l continue to use it often now and find Premae works wonders for any sensitivity.

Should add that's it's accredited as cruelty-free by CFI too.

The ingredients in this range would put me in hospital and threaten my life. The allergen free claim is outrageous.

Latest posts

Back