You know you are old when....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ah yes the rag and bone man. Ours had a flat cart pulled by a miserable looking horse and Mum would send one of us to him to swap some well worn clothes for donkey stones. We lived in an old terraced house and the women took great pride in their doorsteps and net curtains. Doorsteps were cleaned at least twice a week and the edge would be rubbed with a donkey stone which gave the step a white stripe. Net curtains were dolly blued and any woman who didn`t keep her step and her nets in pristine condition was considered to be a sloven.

We were a coupon collecting household. My mum smoked Embassy Regal, and my dad smoked Benson & Hedges Gold. Between their habits (40 a day and 60 a day respectively) we always had plenty to spend in the catalogues they sent out. Lots of Viners stainless steel in our house. We had 2 cars (quite a big deal back then) so also had loads of Green shield stamps... and petrol coupons (all our everyday glassware came from the petrol station, and we always managed to collect whole sets of glasses). Then we got tea and coffee from Ringtons who also had their own tokens on their packs that you could collect. I think we used to use them to get tea/coffee related items.

My brother and I rarely got to get new clothes from the shops, unless there were no hand-me-downs from the neighbours or other family members that fit or were suitable... and even then it was down to the sales. My dad only took us to department stores or men's outfitters. My school coat came from John Colliers, and most of my trousers came from there too (I was a tall enough girl it was possible, but I think the men got a bit of a fright finding a young girl in the changing rooms. We had hula hoops and clackers, and the much-desired footsie-ball, if anyone remembers those? My bro had a brand new Chipper... I had a used RSW14 once we were both too old for the old trike we had which my dad had fixed up for us - it had one of those metal trunks on the back... this one is close to what we had.

When we did get new clothes or toys they were normally home made. My gran made most of my clothes, and my dad had his workshop where he refurbished and repaired what we had (and did up second hand stuff for us and other kids in our street) as well as making stuff from scratch.

Nowadays the thrift of repairing what you have has largely disappeared. No more rag and bone man for the stuff you couldn't repair these days. We had the travelling repair men - grinding down chipped rims of glasses, sharpening knives. My dad repaired shoes and slippers and if he couldn't they'd go to the cobblers. Socks got darned, frayed collars were removed, reversed and reattached. Very little got wasted and very little got thrown away either, mind if you're just buying food to make from scratch there wasn't much packaging, and mostly that was paper which went in the paper recycling we used to have every week when the binmen came.

It's quite shocking to see what progress has given us in some ways, and a number of people have gone full circle. I know you can't really turn back the clock (and in many areas you really wouldn't want to), but a lot of the things which are now seen as an extra service (home delivery of food) were commonplace where I grew up - all the groceries and greengroceries, fish from the fishmonger and meat from the butcher would be delivered to the door - as well as the milk and the papers. My brother and I used to drop off the orders on our way to school on the specific day. In terms of the amount of waste we generated there really wasn't so much as there is now - peelings would go into compost.

I still have fond memories of Woods Ware china, which we used at home. They had different names depending on the colour. We had green so it was Woods Beryl in our house. I still have plain green china now... just from IKEA instead of Woods (not sure there was loads of choice as in 1960s we were still recovering from all the restrictions of rationing and then making for export-only).

I wasn't allowed to get my hair cut as a girl, so I don't have to regret a bad feathercut hairstyle... something I'm now very glad about. I wasn't allowed platforms, or any tartan-trimmed trousers (loved the Bay City Rollers). I'm sure my generation had less freedom than the one before, but it was still more focused on playing out with friends, even when we got into the teenage years, as we were expected to look after the younger kids, but we could be outside all day without any issue... in fact if you didn't go out you would get turfed out as all the parents in my street were great believers that fresh air was essential for kids.

My dad wore Old Spice (actually like the smell) and Brut. My mum was a bit posher - Coty L'Aimant. My nana was an Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass lady. I just wanted Charlie - and it smelled terrible on me!

Great post MML - I remember clackers and the footsie ball which I had forgotten all about.

Thinking about when I grew up I was hardly ever in the house - always playing outside. Such happy days.

I remember as a child, my Dad used to send me to the shop to ask for '20 embassy tipped please' - can you imagine trying that these days. A lot of my clothes were hand me downs from my sister, but I always had a brand new dress for Easter. I had one that I wore continually - I loved it - and my Mum still talks even now about how she could never get me to take it off (it did get washed I might add!!)

Even playing with a dolls house, or a blackboard was done outside in our open porch (really a very small canopy over the front door) it was rare to play indoors.

I remember reading comics like The Beano, The Dandy and The Beezer. Every year they did a summer special and also a yearbook (in hardback).

I remember when "Surprise Surprise" and "Blind Date" were compelling viewing. Cilla Black would always sing that awful song at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMSNVgQgctE

Ah yes the rag and bone man. Ours had a flat cart pulled by a miserable looking horse and Mum would send one of us to him to swap some well worn clothes for donkey stones. We lived in an old terraced house and the women took great pride in their doorsteps and net curtains. Doorsteps were cleaned at least twice a week and the edge would be rubbed with a donkey stone which gave the step a white stripe. Net curtains were dolly blued and any woman who didn`t keep her step and her nets in pristine condition was considered to be a sloven.

My mum used to polish the step with Red Cardinal polish (I think) and polish the brasses because the year I was born they were allocated a BRAND new council house (how posh were we!) so it was considered modern.

A few years before she died she told me about the places she, my father and older sister lived in prior to this and there were some stories which were unknown to us

I remember when I was very young the peelings and scrapings went into a bucket which was collected once a week by a man to feed pigs (I think that was it was for !)

I remember that too it was called brock and the brockman called very week in his donkey and cart. I didn't know it was for pigs but that makes sense the bacon in those days was very tasty.

I remember that too it was called brock and the brockman called very week in his donkey and cart. I didn't know it was for pigs but that makes sense the bacon in those days was very tasty.

Maisie I didnt use the word Brock or Brockman as I was sure no one would know what I meant but when I look at where you are from I know that you certainly would understand!!

I remember wearing Biba fashion the first time round, wearing Dolcis crepe soled t bar shoes, sporting a Demi wave and knocking back a crafty half of lager and blackcurrant at the local " Disco"!!

I also remember wearing a really sticky lip gloss from a rollerball type thing and wearing a perfume called Smitty :)

I remember the lip gloss in the roller ball and it tasted vile!!! Me and my sisters thought we were so glam with our glossy lips, black eyeliner and white stilettos. I have a phot of myself on a school non uniform day wearing black lace fingerless gloves - was that a Madonna inspired look?!?

This thread has really taken me back. Buying sweets by the bag load for a few pence, back when you still had half pennies. One of my Uncles lived in Luton and they used to get a delivery of fizzy drinks from a company called Alpine Way. We would make toast under one of those grills on top of the cooker and it would be drenched in butter but tasted delicious. Cold mornings getting ready for school in front of a paraffin heater and oh the chillblains I used to get because I liked to warm my feet. It seems like another world. I also remember the chunky wooden jumpers with the loops that all the cool girls wore (but I couldn't have because it was a luxury not a necessity). Curtess for shoes and C&A for clothes. Anyone remember Pollards. My mum used to love that shop!!!

Did anyone collect the Bunty figures that you had to cut out. ?
They were on the back of the comic, there were different clothes every week that you attached with tabs.

I was born in 67 & yes I remember Pollards.
My mum bought all our underwear & t towels there.
She used to go to Bloomfields the bakers for our bread, the butchers & greengrocers for meat & veg and to a local to south London chain called Kennedys that did their own (AMAZING) sausages & bacon, cheese & sliced meat. Kind of like an English style deli.
I purchased Jackie magazine.
My well of aunty used to buy me perfume & cosmetics, so I had expensive perfume & a huge set of Estée Lauder makeup supplemented with cheap Carroll Constant make up & the flavoured roller ball lip glosses.

I remember C&A - they have one in Cancun.

They were on the back of the comic, there were different clothes every week that you attached with tabs.

Oh yes! I remember the cardboard dolls and the tabbed clothes but I must say I didn't remember it from Bunty but as I got that every week it must have been.

Goodness - little amused the innocent

I remember a new girls comic coming out and couldn't wait in '77 when I was 11, my sister got Jackie every week and I got Look-In but wanted the new one called Misty too, I can still see the cover and feel the excitement of having a new comic I could collect from day one. A few years later in my teens my magazine of choice became "Smash Hits" and singing along to the top 40 on Radio 1 every Sunday evening.

Does anyone remember two magazines in the late 60's, Petticoat and Honey. They were monthly and full of fashion, make-up and stories? They were the next stage to the Jackie and Romeo comics.

I had an Allegro Vanden Plas for years, it had beige leather interior and wood veneer dashboard, with drop down picnic tables on the back of the front seats. I loved that car - the suspension, clutch and electrics were crap and the bodywork not too good but the engine was sweet as a nut, and it always started!

I used to have Bunty - remember the 'Four Marys'? I then graduated on to Jackie and always got the annual at Christmas.

We had a petition at school to let us wear black tights, which were fashionable then. Only grey or tan were allowed. One of our older teachers said, in her day at the same school, they had had a petition for tan tights as they were only allowed to wear black! White stilettos not allowed either!

I still buy Avon Soft Pink bubble bath and this takes me right back to teenage years. Avon tried to discontinue it but there was an outcry! It's not quite as 'full on' as it used to be but still very 'girly' :sun:

I had an Allegro Vanden Plas for years, it had beige leather interior and wood veneer dashboard, with drop down picnic tables on the back of the front seats. I loved that car - the suspension, clutch and electrics were crap and the bodywork not too good but the engine was sweet as a nut, and it always started!

I used to have Bunty - remember the 'Four Marys'? I then graduated on to Jackie and always got the annual at Christmas.

We had a petition at school to let us wear black tights, which were fashionable then. Only grey or tan were allowed. One of our older teachers said, in her day at the same school, they had had a petition for tan tights as they were only allowed to wear black! White stilettos not allowed either!

I still buy Avon Soft Pink bubble bath and this takes me right back to teenage years. Avon tried to discontinue it but there was an outcry! It's not quite as 'full on' as it used to be but still very 'girly' :sun:

Nice! I saw an Allegro Vanden Plas for sale recently - it was a kind of marrowfat pea green and featured a square steering wheel (not sure why they thought that was a good idea). I'd quite to buy a Vanden Plas Princess 1300. They have the picnic tables like the Allegro. Still I'd need to find a spare £5 grand to buy one even remotely decent. I might join the Vanden Plas Owners' Club and see if any vehicles come up. I loved my Metro!

I remember the perfume Tramp lol .. Pat Coombes used to do the voice over lol ....the provocative aroma .." Lol ...

I just googled "Tramp perfume" and apparently it really did exist. Here's an advert for it featuring a lovely 70s woman in an orange blouse. She manages to visit a fruit market, ride a bike, give a seedy-looking 70s bloke a half-eaten apple and drive off with a bunch of mates in a Mini-moke!

She doesn't look much of a tramp, in fact she seems quite emancipated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tShArz5J0bY

And here's an advert for "Charlie." I quite like this advert. It's ridiculously OTT yet refrains from being tacky. I like the way she just throws her hat to the attendant, signs her name in that book and then whirls around before sitting down. So brilliantly 70s!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sn8H42FZcI

I just googled "Tramp perfume" and apparently it really did exist. Here's an advert for it featuring a lovely 70s woman in an orange blouse. She manages to visit a fruit market, ride a bike, give a seedy-looking 70s bloke a half-eaten apple and drive off with a bunch of mates in a Mini-moke!

She doesn't look much of a tramp, in fact she seems quite emancipated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tShArz5J0bY

And here's an advert for "Charlie." I quite like this advert. It's ridiculously OTT yet refrains from being tacky. I like the way she just throws her hat to the attendant, signs her name in that book and then whirls around before sitting down. So brilliantly 70s!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sn8H42FZcI

Isn't the guy on the fruit stall Melvyn Hayes from It ain't half hot?

I used to love waiting for each week's copy but remember feeling miffed that she struck a different pose every week, which meant that you couldn't build up a wardrobe of clothes because one week she'd have one hand on her hip and the next both arms would be by her side- really frustrating! Lol!

Latest posts

Back