You know you are old when....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Great post MML - I remember clackers and the footsie ball which I had forgotten all about.

Thinking about when I grew up I was hardly ever in the house - always playing outside. Such happy days.

I remember as a child, my Dad used to send me to the shop to ask for '20 embassy tipped please' - can you imagine trying that these days. A lot of my clothes were hand me downs from my sister, but I always had a brand new dress for Easter. I had one that I wore continually - I loved it - and my Mum still talks even now about how she could never get me to take it off (it did get washed I might add!!)
I remember my nana sending me to the shop for 20 No 6 kingside and an ounce of Condor tobacco for my grandads pipe! The shop was at the end of our street, then over a main road- it was the early seventies so there weren't as many cars on the roads!

I remember a new girls comic coming out and couldn't wait in '77 when I was 11, my sister got Jackie every week and I got Look-In but wanted the new one called Misty too, I can still see the cover and feel the excitement of having a new comic I could collect from day one. A few years later in my teens my magazine of choice became "Smash Hits" and singing along to the top 40 on Radio 1 every Sunday evening.

I LOVED Misty - that was pre Jackie, then I moved on to Jackie.

I had a Metro, too! Second-hand, but a great little motor.
Nice! I saw an Allegro Vanden Plas for sale recently - it was a kind of marrowfat pea green and featured a square steering wheel (not sure why they thought that was a good idea). I'd quite to buy a Vanden Plas Princess 1300. They have the picnic tables like the Allegro. Still I'd need to find a spare £5 grand to buy one even remotely decent. I might join the Vanden Plas Owners' Club and see if any vehicles come up. I loved my Metro!

I remember Charlie perfume caused quite a sensation when it came out, everyone was trying it and one of the women's magazines (can't remember now, but could have been "Woman" or "Woman's Realm") gave away a sample phial of it. Entering a room full of women wearing it was enough to make you pass out!:mysmilie_17:

I just googled "Tramp perfume" and apparently it really did exist. Here's an advert for it featuring a lovely 70s woman in an orange blouse. She manages to visit a fruit market, ride a bike, give a seedy-looking 70s bloke a h" oralf-eaten apple and drive off with a bunch of mates in a Mini-moke!

She doesn't look much of a tramp, in fact she seems quite emancipated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tShArz5J0bY

And here's an advert for "Charlie." I quite like this advert. It's ridiculously OTT yet refrains from being tacky. I like the way she just throws her hat to the attendant, signs her name in that book and then whirls around before sitting down. So brilliantly 70s!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sn8H42FZcI

Smitty did it!

It was the time of cheap perfume aimed at young women (school kids). My bezzie mate wore Tramp and I had Babe; we wore tiered dresses and wedges and thought we were so sophisticated. :mysmilie_19:

Smitty did it!

It was the time of cheap perfume aimed at young women (school kids). My bezzie mate wore Tramp and I had Babe; we wore tiered dresses and wedges and thought we were so sophisticated. :mysmilie_19:

:mysmilie_15: awwww it's nice to look back at our naivety lol ...but they were THE perfumes then along with Charlie as mentioned earlier lol.....I remember my brother saying to his girlfriend that tramp smelled "magical" lol.....I loved all those perfumes ...:mysmilie_59:

Alysha Ashley Musk, Jovan, Pagan, Yardley Sea Jade, Goya Black Rose, Revlon Intimate, Chantilly, Aqua Manda, Charles of the Ritz, Evening in Paris, Je Reviens, Avon Occur were just some of the perfumes I remember from our house in the 60`s. I was a 14/15 year old teenager, my sis was in her early 20`s and my Mum was middle aged. I used the Aqua Manda, Sea Jade and Alysha Ashley musk, my sis and Mum used the others. Of course we weren`t rich enough to own all of them at once, no way, perfume was bought one bottle at a time, used sparingly and wasn`t replaced until empty, usually for Christmas or birthdays.
I remember the first bottle of perfume my late hubby bought me in 1971, he must have saved hard to buy it and it was Chanel No 19 and I HATED it but never said so. Consequently every Christmas a new bottle of Chanel No 19 would be wrapped and under the tree and until the day he died in 2005, it was always the same. My 3 sons always bought me perfume too but they`d visit a local Boots or local pharmacy around 3.30pm on Christmas Eve afternoon and depending how much money they had in their pockets they`d pool it and buy me whatever was left on the shelves. It was pot luck. Some were massive failures, some were huge successes but all of them were gratefully received.

Dressing in the hippy fashions of the early 70s, I wore Coty Wild Musk oil. It was extremely potent, but I loved it. Clothes would still smell of it even after they had been washed. A couple of years later it was Yardley Khadine, much more subtle. :sun:

My mum wore Sea Jade, Khadine and mostly Masumi. I always wanted her to use Khadine because the packaging was purple and reminded me of Genie of the lamp kind of thing. I didn't like Masumi then but now it's definitely a scent I'd wear.

Revlon Moondrops is another 'fragrance' I remember from the 70's. Pungent stuff! (I use the term fragrance loosely).
I liked Coty's Wild Musk & L'Aimant, Goya Aqua Manda was my favourite and I also had Charlie! A lot of my school mates wore the musk oil or patchouli oil too. My mum wore Goya Gardenia, Arden's Blue Grass or Memoire Cherie.

I remember Charlie perfume caused quite a sensation when it came out, everyone was trying it and one of the women's magazines (can't remember now, but could have been "Woman" or "Woman's Realm") gave away a sample phial of it. Entering a room full of women wearing it was enough to make you pass out!:mysmilie_17:

I don't remember Charlie, Tramp or Babe. I do remember "Poison." It was one of those fragrances that was so strong you can almost remember the smell in your mind. My mother had a slightly odd friend who wore it. She also wore a spider brooch on her shoulder (a bit like Butler & Wilson). I think Poison was possibly a bit more expensive than Tramp or Babe. Probably wasn't any better though. As for men's fragrances I do seem to recall Brut in a green bottle with a silver medallion round it. I was given a bottle (as a child in the late 80s) by a neighbour. Goodness knows why she thought I'd like that! Anyway I took it into school and it turned out that one of my classmates, Jonathan, hated Brut even more than I did so I tipped it all over him and they had to send him home (but bizarrely, not me). I hate Old Spice too or any of the modern equivalents (Lynx etc). Yuck! I only wear Dior Homme, Creed Virgin Island / Silver Mountain Water, or, on a cheap day, Allure.

I hated Posion and Opium perfumes. Also Youth Dew. Even to this day I get a headache just thinking about it.

Recently we had a new staff member who was placed in the desk beside me and wore perfume similar to these and both my head and skin went into overdrive. Fortunately she left after a short time.

Lavender based room freshners or candles are a real no no.

I hated Posion and Opium perfumes. Also Youth Dew. Even to this day I get a headache just thinking about it.

Recently we had a new staff member who was placed in the desk beside me and wore perfume similar to these and both my head and skin went into overdrive. Fortunately she left after a short time.

I'm the same, strong perfumes kick off my sinuses and give me a migraine. I was sitting next to a woman in a restaurant who's perfume was that strong I could taste it, I could've actually cut it with my knife and fork. My husband said he'd ask for us to be moved but we were half way through our meal so I stuck it out, funny enough I can still smell it after two weeks.

Perfumes just don't smell nice when over done ....I love Angel Whe it is sprayed on me sparingly and I mean just the smallest application ....when I smell it being drenched on people it's just disgusting to me ...hubby gets migraines with strong perfume anyway so I discovered Angels affect this way ( not over doing it ) the only perfume that gives me a migraine I'd Amour Amour ...but I love it .whih is a shame ..there are some gorgeous perfumes out there ..I think. Avons Timesless is the worst I have ever smelled but I'm sure there must be worse :mysmilie_17:

Perfumes just don't smell nice when over done ....I love Angel Whe it is sprayed on me sparingly and I mean just the smallest application ....when I smell it being drenched on people it's just disgusting to me ...hubby gets migraines with strong perfume anyway so I discovered Angels affect this way ( not over doing it ) the only perfume that gives me a migraine I'd Amour Amour ...but I love it .whih is a shame ..there are some gorgeous perfumes out there ..I think. Avons Timesless is the worst I have ever smelled but I'm sure there must be worse :mysmilie_17:

I used to love Charlie while my friend liked Panache! I loved Body shop white musk and she preferred body shop Dewberry! When I progressed from a YTS scheme wages ( showing my age now!) I went onto Opium and I was the only one at work who like Poison, until I dropped it on the locker room floor- still smelled better than the pile of sweaty work boots in the corner!
The only one that has offended me in recent years was Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers - smells like wee!

My Mum always said if a woman drenched herself in perfume then she had something to hide. She was convinced every strong smelling perfume hid either an unwashed body, heavy smoking or dirty clothes lol. That was my Mum , a woman who took great pride in her snow white washing blowing on the clothesline, her pristine nets and her perfect ironing. She died nearly 30 years ago and I often wonder what she`d think of some of today`s perfumes.
As for Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers, as one poster succinctly put it, it DOES smell like wee and I once had the misfortune of being given a huge bottle of it.
I also know exactly how Angel can induce a headache too. My hubby`s daughter wears both Angel and Alien ( not at the same time lol ) and whenever she visits us the whole house smells of whichever one she`s wearing and it lingers forever. Even her Dad comments when she`s gone and I thought he`d gone nose blind years ago !

I was in the university area of Belfast and needed to find a chemist pronto so went into the first I saw (old fashioned) and lo and behold there in its full glory was a stand selling Miners make up.

1) surprised it is still in existence
2) very surprised that it was selling in an area of very young people
3) maybe wouldn't have even noticed without this thread!

Oh heck, Youth Dew!! How well I remember the smell of that - just a slight whiff used to make me feel nauseous (and most women who liked it seemed to bath in it, so you rarely got "a slight whiff").

Vienna, You've reminded me so much of an auntie who drenched herself in 'Tweed'! My Mum would open the lounge and kitchen windows after she'd gone, to get rid of it - regardless if it was winter, and freezing! How that takes me back - my Mum would have agreed with yours, I'm sure - she always said perfume was just a dab, not for bathing in.

My Mum always said if a woman drenched herself in perfume then she had something to hide. She was convinced every strong smelling perfume hid either an unwashed body, heavy smoking or dirty clothes lol. That was my Mum , a woman who took great pride in her snow white washing blowing on the clothesline, her pristine nets and her perfect ironing. She died nearly 30 years ago and I often wonder what she`d think of some of today`s perfumes.
As for Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers, as one poster succinctly put it, it DOES smell like wee and I once had the misfortune of being given a huge bottle of it.
I also know exactly how Angel can induce a headache too. My hubby`s daughter wears both Angel and Alien ( not at the same time lol ) and whenever she visits us the whole house smells of whichever one she`s wearing and it lingers forever. Even her Dad comments when she`s gone and I thought he`d gone nose blind years ago !

Last edited:
I still have my poloroid photograph taken on one of the first colour poloroids in the country, It was taken by a American visitor at the hotel where I was working...as was Lena Zavaroni, she had stayed whilst on Opportunity Knocks!! For those who don't know her name, she was a young girl with a very powerful voice, who sadly died far too early. Another early victim of stardom and the media...

Latest posts

Back