QVC Stop The Patronising.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ryan

Registered Shopper
This is regarding QVCs presentation last night of todays TSV.Stop patronising viewers.Dale Franklin is by far the worst for doing this but not alone.Do you assume your talking to senile people who have been living under a rock for the last 15 years? I may be wrong but I doubt if anyone who is still using a Nokia 2210 or whatever that antique was you dug up for demo purposes ,would be watching QVCs tech hour. Give people a bit of credit for god sake. By all means stress how simple it is but stop talking down to people ..it's off putting big time.
Yes so the guy demonstrating the Archos 50 said his wife still had an antique of a phone BEFORE the Archos 50 came along.OK .well.I would say she is the exception rather than the rule.

You constantly do patronising demos.I get that you have to cater for all audiences , but is your target audience mainly people who are either scared of or new to tech? If not then I suggest you change the patter.Whats next..Are you going to have a person in the corner of the screen signing,for the hard of hearing during your tech hours. Get with it.This is 2013 and I reckon your audience,regardless of age,can take being talked to like adults.

Yes this always makes me laugh too! Hahahahah! I remember their "TMTI" (Talk Me Through It) promo. How patronising! I'm FINE with technology. I don't need their patronising presentations.

I'm fine with tech as well, but I have an even older phone than the one they used, it cost £10 from Tesco. It does have a torch though, and doesn't need an app to turn it on.

This is regarding QVCs presentation last night of todays TSV.Stop patronising viewers.Dale Franklin is by far the worst for doing this but not alone.Do you assume your talking to senile people who have been living under a rock for the last 15 years? I may be wrong but I doubt if anyone who is still using a Nokia 2210 or whatever that antique was you dug up for demo purposes ,would be watching QVCs tech hour. Give people a bit of credit for god sake. By all means stress how simple it is but stop talking down to people ..it's off putting big time.
Yes so the guy demonstrating the Archos 50 said his wife still had an antique of a phone BEFORE the Archos 50 came along.OK .well.I would say she is the exception rather than the rule.

You constantly do patronising demos.I get that you have to cater for all audiences , but is your target audience mainly people who are either scared of or new to tech? If not then I suggest you change the patter.Whats next..Are you going to have a person in the corner of the screen signing,for the hard of hearing during your tech hours. Get with it.This is 2013 and I reckon your audience,regardless of age,can take being talked to like adults.

I concur, Ryan. Perhaps Archos have improved, as a brand, since they were first introduced to us on the Q; I bought an mp4 player and, although I am technically advanced, found it was not simple to navigate the functions on it. Also, the battery expired so, all in all, my experience with the brand was an extremely negative one, and I would never buy another Archos product. I am not sticking up for the Q, but it is primarily a business, with the ultimate aim of generating sales and, ultimately, profit. I think that, as long as you keep this in mind when watching the presentation of a product, any decision you make regarding purchasing, will be an informed one. The presenters are, fundamentally, sales people.

I thought this thread was going to be about the Bobbi Brown guest, I just found her extremely patronising in the last hour.

I'm fine with tech as well, but I have an even older phone than the one they used, it cost £10 from Tesco. It does have a torch though, and doesn't need an app to turn it on.
I thought I was the only one with that phone, strato, ......I have left it on the bus and it was safely returned to me........another time I 'lost' it and on mentally retracing my movements I wondered if it had fallen out of my pocket in Asda's car park,we returned 45mins later to find it where we had parked - still working! Another time I was sure I must have left it at the end of checkout at M&S but there was no record of a phone handed in - I kept ringing it for 3 or 4 days with no luck, 6 days later I had a phone call from a friend who rang my phone - it was answered by an M&S assistant who had opened the safe at the very moment she rang and so it was soon back with me. I think it's not 'smart' enough for anyone else........ but it's smart enough for me(haha) oh, and I love the torch!

Can't comment on the tech hours because I never watch them, but I don't understand the connection between providing a service for the deaf and being patronising?

Hmmmmm I gave up technology after the Sony Walkman, and the hand held calculators came in.

My Nokia phone was the daily special at £12 from my club book about 8 years ago - it works as a phone with the text facility, and that's it. I don't need social networking, I have a camera for taking photos, and I use my desk top for emails. I live a life without the need for constant communication, or what every App in the world is for, and when gigabytes, Wi-Fi and dongles are mentioned, my eyes glaze over.

I think for many of us, technology is moving at such a rate, that its easy for those in the know to ASSUME everyone knows what they are talking about when explaining the latest piece of kit. I would love someone to explain the difference between a pc, netbook, notebook, I-pad, and tablet for instance.

That's me as well. My phone is for phoning and texting not an all encompassing mobile life-support machine! As far being encouraged to use mobile phones for banking well how idiotic!

Sent in by Mrs Victor Meldrew!

. I would love someone to explain the difference between a pc, netbook, notebook, I-pad, and tablet for instance.

A PC is quite big, a netbook is smaller. An iPad is smaller still and a tablet is even smaller. :nod:

As far being encouraged to use mobile phones for banking well how idiotic!

Idiotic's a bit strong isn't it? I find it quite useful to be able to check how much I've got in the bank (or haven't got, as the case may be...) without having to get the computer going, or when I'm away from home. :thinking:

That's me as well. My phone is for phoning and texting not an all encompassing mobile life-support machine! As far being encouraged to use mobile phones for banking well how idiotic!

seconded by her twin sister, but then I am someone who does not feel the need to be in constant touch with the world and his wife

I use technology when I have to but I hate the way it often replaces conversation or social interaction. Kids constantly attached to headphones plugged into an iphone, adults walking around glued to their ipad, people sitting on their sofas balancing a laptop alongside their meal, everybody tapping their apps and we call it progress. I guess I`m old school because as much as i love being able to text instantly or find out what time the next train is due or order my Christmas gifts online etc etc, I still love it when people take time out to smile, talk and be sociable and i think technology certainly has a negative effect.

Well I'm obviously an idiot then, because l use my phone for banking all the time. Paid a bill while sitting in the car yesterday, it's brilliant.

Well I'm obviously an idiot then, because l use my phone for banking all the time. Paid a bill while sitting in the car yesterday, it's brilliant.

I use my fone for banking too , its very handy way of checking ur balance and paying bills

When I first got a mobile phone I only switched it on if I wanted to make a call or was waiting for a specific call. It was for my convenience in contacting the world - not for every one to be able to get hold of me :)

Yes this always makes me laugh too! Hahahahah! I remember their "TMTI" (Talk Me Through It) promo. How patronising! I'm FINE with technology. I don't need their patronising presentations.

I'm reasonably au fait with technology but, when we had a problem with something (it turned out to be faulty), the TMTI people were great. They spent around 45 minutes trying to sort out our problem. They were very patient and not at all patronising. And when they could help no more, they gave us a free phone helpline direct with the manufacturers in North America. A world away from the so-called help desks for a couple of commas companies I could name. I can't speak highly enough of them.

Me too! I used to be A+ certified but I like my old phone. You got a better deal though - I paid £12 for mine at the time and it doesn't have a torch! (you can get a candle holder for it :p )

Latest posts

Back