Yankee Candle TSV 05/12/13

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BeautyAddict89

Registered Shopper
I'm excited to see that there is another Yankee Candle TSV on Sunday the 5th of December! I wonder what it will be, some large jar perhaps or a set of votives or maybe a mixture of both? Might even get a sneak peek of a 2014 fragrance, that would be good!

Knowing Qvc on the run up to Xmas I would suspect it will revolve around "Gifting" so mayb a variety of small jars or mix of votives, tarts and a jar candle.

Knowing Qvc on the run up to Xmas I would suspect it will revolve around "Gifting" so mayb a variety of small jars or mix of votives, tarts and a jar candle.

Yes, they do love 'gifting' and 'gift ideas'! A mix would be good though and I would most likely keep it all for myself ;-)

I would like to see a set of large jars, however more likely to be a mix as others have said.

Another fan of the large jars. I loved it when they did the large jar auto delivery.

I'm really tempted to try BUT as a total newby whom has never purchased a Yankee Candle before I am confused about all the varieties etc.
Is there any good threads about quality or top tips etc for me to read?
I heard Rosa talking about "an art" to burning down a large jar - what is it?
There seems to be some real experts here - I never thought candles could be so complicated!

I'm really tempted to try BUT as a total newby whom has never purchased a Yankee Candle before I am confused about all the varieties etc.
There seems to be some real experts here - I never thought candles could be so complicated!

The art is to make sure you burn a jar candle for long enough for the wax to hit the sides of the jar so it doesn't tunnel. Rosa says three hours. Now I find you need to burn them for at least four if not five hours to avoid that but perhaps that is just me. She also tells you to trim the wick before you light it to about a quarter of an inch and not to put the candle in a draught as it affects the flame and the burn. This is all to get the full burn time. Now I do all this and use a shade on each candle and I NEVER get the full time so you could take the 150 hours etc with a pinch of salt. Don't get me wrong, I love YC but that is what I have found.

If you are unsure what you like then the samplers are a good bet but they do not give much of a perfume throw. You are best off going to a shop like Clinton's which sells YC and you can smell them before ordering online. Q also do a lot of sampler selections and the small jars do last for quite a while so are not the rip off they seem for such small items. I think if you like a certain YC perfume group, like fresh or floral for me, you will like most of the things in it. The wax melts (or tarts before Q decided to rebrand them..... Which CH implied was a matter of good taste!!!!!!) are also an excellent way of trying fragrances and can be bought cheaply but you do need to buy a tart burner so that is an added expense. Try also Yankee Direct and Yankee Doodle websites for good prices on individual items like burners and shades.

Another tip is to buy a shade if your using the jar candles , stops the flame bouncing about and also helps to stop soot staining your walls and ceilings

Ooh yes I forgot that - shades definitely help with soot, as you say. I clean mine out with window spray on paper towel and it is sometimes amazing how much gunk there is!

The Illuma lids are fantastic too. I get a completely clean jar all the way to the bottom with one of those (provided you burn for long enough to hit the sides).

The art is to make sure you burn a jar candle for long enough for the wax to hit the sides of the jar so it doesn't tunnel. Rosa says three hours. Now I find you need to burn them for at least four if not five hours to avoid that but perhaps that is just me. She also tells you to trim the wick before you light it to about a quarter of an inch and not to put the candle in a draught as it affects the flame and the burn.
This is all to get the full burn time. Now I do all this and use a shade on each candle and I NEVER get the full time so you could take the 150 hours etc with a pinch of salt. Don't get me wrong, I love YC but that is what I have found.

If you are unsure what you like then the samplers are a good bet but they do not give much of a perfume throw. You are best off going to a shop like Clinton's which sells YC and you can smell them before ordering online. Q also do a lot of sampler selections and the small jars do last for quite a while so are not the rip off they seem for such small items. I think if you like a certain YC perfume group, like fresh or floral for me, you will like most of the things in it. The wax melts (or tarts before Q decided to rebrand them..... Which CH implied was a matter of good taste!!!!!!) are also an excellent way of trying fragrances and can be bought cheaply but you do need to buy a tart burner so that is an added expense. Try also Yankee Direct and Yankee Doodle websites for good prices on individual items like burners and shades.

I did all of the above and still found the insides of the jar went all sooty and the candle tunnelled so I stopped buying the jars and instead bought tealights.

I had been contemplating trying an electric warmer and tarts, but in town at the weekend bought a regular (ie non electric) YC tart warmer and a couple of tarts to try. The tart melted quickly enough, about half an hour, but I could barely smell it, so wish I hadn't bothered. I'm glad I didn't waste money on a dearer electric one.

I did all of the above and still found the insides of the jar went all sooty and the candle tunnelled so I stopped buying the jars and instead bought tealights.

I had been contemplating trying an electric warmer and tarts, but in town at the weekend bought a regular (ie non electric) YC tart warmer and a couple of tarts to try. The tart melted quickly enough, about half an hour, but I could barely smell it, so wish I hadn't bothered. I'm glad I didn't waste money on a dearer electric one.

I have an Electric tart burner and love it , I find I get as much fragrance from tarts as the jar candles. which wax tart fragrance did you use ?

The tarts vary in strength depending on the fragrance but you should get 8 hours of fragrance per tart but obviously stronger at the beginning.

The tarts vary in strength depending on the fragrance but you should get 8 hours of fragrance per tart but obviously stronger at the beginning.

The jars vary terrifically as well. I know the artisan range is supposed to be weak according to some reviewers but some of my normal jar candles have been too (black cherry for one!). I think it depends on your room. I have an open staircase so cannot just have one thing on the go or it is lost. I use two candles, a tart and a tea light which rather increases the outlay. It also explains my rather high stock levels........ I do find the tarts last a lot longer than eight hours though.

I use the tarts for much longer than 8 hours, double that at least, you just get more of the base notes.

So so true Mazza. I always get a good scent out of Vanilla Lime and my new "favourite" Salted Caramel I just have to sit on the sofa next to the votive without even lighting it to get the lovely smell! But I lit "Wedding day" on our anniversary and could not smell it at all and I melted French Lavender in the electric burner in my bedroom to get me calm to sleep and I could hardly smell that either (though the bedroom is quite a large room).

I have an Electric tart burner and love it , I find I get as much fragrance from tarts as the jar candles. which wax tart fragrance did you use ?

Sicilian lemon - it had melted after half an hour, but I kept the tea light burning about four hours. Even when I left the room and came back in I could barely smell it. Picking up the burner just now to smell the cold solid tart there is no scent at all.

Sicilian lemon - it had melted after half an hour, but I kept the tea light burning about four hours. Even when I left the room and came back in I could barely smell it. Picking up the burner just now to smell the cold solid tart there is no scent at all.

Ive never had the fragrance so couldn't tell you if it was better in a large jar or not, I remember having Country lemonade that's a very strong fragrance which I love

The Illuma lids are fantastic too. I get a completely clean jar all the way to the bottom with one of those (provided you burn for long enough to hit the sides).

Do these lids get hot? I like to extinguish the flame by putting the lid back on, so are the Iluma lids cool enough to handle after a few hours?

Latest posts

Back