QVC Times Article

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Shame the writer of the article is sneering at people who use the home shopping channels and bordering on the ignorant. Or a snob who doesn't realise a world outside London exists where we don't have the luxury of having a variety of shops close by.

"The viewers are lulled into an altered consciousness" :52:

That bit is true, judging by the junk I've bought.

Very amusing article! To be honest, I've always been puzzled by the spending power of stay at homes!!

My mum does too but she is mainly confined to her home.

With regards to the "spending power of the stay at homes" my mum and (late) dad worked extremely hard and saved and made sure that when they retired they could exsist very comfortably. Hope that goes some way to answer this for you.

I think the Bargainhunter columnist is miffed cos she was refused her request to spend a day at QVC. I also worked hard so I could spend my money on what takes my fancy so I agree with you on that Yazrose.

What about internet access/live streaming to pc whilst at work?
Plenty of people also now work from home. Their views of stereotypical qvc customers make me laugh. They are years out of date!
I also work hard,have money to spend and would rather pay p and p than shop mindlessly,wasting my time and paying £1.50/hr to park + petrol for 25 miles to closest decent shops.
I also use the internet for loads of other shops - I'm sure internet shopping in general is a growth industry.

I suppose qvc are having the last laugh at their critics if their profits are up.

Bargainhunter certainly is snotty. I rather resent being slotted into the demographic she derides. I buy off QVC (and internet companies) as it saves my time and often my money too.

This is really interesting !

I tend to buy at the end of a bad day. When i have had a good day i usually cook dinner and am chilled but looking at my account on QVC, I am buying from them when i have got PMT !
I have my dates on a calender . My main purchases on QVC are Northern nights and the Beauty TSVs. Which makes me think that when im feeling low, I buy these things to wrap me up and comfort me. I am not a drinker , smoker or a chocoholic and so for me, buying nice bed linen and beauty stuff is like pampering myself.
Perhaps if I get some prozac and evening primrose oil , it may save me a few hundred quid a year .:11:

Very amusing article! To be honest, I've always been puzzled by the spending power of stay at homes!!

Some of us who stay at home have no choice because we're so bluddy crocked we can't get out and about on our own!

Some of us, having worked since they day they left school have been forced to retire early because of ill health, but we have been sensible enough to always pay into a pension scheme and, albeit losing some of the benefits, have chosen to take that pension early so that we can afford to live a half decent life while we still have one!

I knew I was right :9::9:

The money we spend with QVC et al isn't REAL money-it's "Moondust"

I for one will have the Oreck ready to vacuum up that there moondust that yer wan from Kirks Follly blows through the TV :53::53: (moondust/fairydust it's all the same :1:)

I'll be rich in no time at all :18::18:

B

This is a snide, meretricious and lazy little piece. "Three hundred words then I can bugger off home..."

Totally devoid of real content.

I'm a journalist; I recognise the syndrome.

And yes, I work full-time, gruelling shifts, and STILL manage to waste my money on QVC....

Obviously the reporter has not experienced the benefits of tv shopping:

Where else can you but items like make-up etc and try them at home then if you don't like you can send them back - I don't think the make up counter in the big department stores and Boots would like it if you took a half used lippy back for a refund....

As stated above - when you live 20 miles from shops it is expensive in petrol and parking and can be more than the p&p charges to go and get things.

Also the presenters/guests explain things way more than the spotty saturday assistants in the shops who don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Yes I know we all get 'talked' into buying things we don't actually need but at least if you come to your senses within the 30 days you can return them.

It really infuriates me that people talk down about shopping telly and joke about it like it is something for idiots and the 'stay at homes'.

This is a snide, meretricious and lazy little piece. "Three hundred words then I can bugger off home..."

Totally devoid of real content.

I'm a journalist; I recognise the syndrome.

And yes, I work full-time, gruelling shifts, and STILL manage to waste my money on QVC....

Love your comments and you Sally Ann - long may you continue to put pen to paper (or fingers to keys) - even if I did have to look up what meretricious meant :1:

As for the piece - QVC have introduced so many high end brands over here and pioneered British ones too. I cannot image there are many high street shops that wouldn't kill for their customer loyalty and profits.

Get real dearie or get back to your designer shoes and dragging your late night shopping home on the tube in the dark and cold in time for bed and then work next morning.

I'm definitely not a stay at home and spend quite a bit on QVC, in fact a lot of my shopping is done on the 'net'.

And I would add if it were not for QVC I would not have discovered the likes of Liz Earle, Smashbox, Bare Escentuals, Northern Nights - I could go on and on!

Hi,

quite funny, I thought :1:

I liked the "pilferage" bit - The Times complaining about old-fashioned word usage! LOL!

Cheers,
Karen

Perhaps a little of topic but it's about time QVC had a massive shake up it is suppose tobe a SHOPPING CHANNEL,well this depends on which way you look at it as this channel
seems to sell products for woman only NOT GOOD ENOUGH Ofcom should get involved it should be made to sell products for both sexes or change it's name.
QVC is nothing like it was when it first started JR could confirm this in those days you had a wide choice of products if the high street stores behaved in this manner they would be had under the sex decrimination act.

Ahh yes, the sad lonely Tube in the capital. Back home to a flat that you pay half of your wage to rent in some lonely suburb where no one ever speaks and if you do, they think you are a lunatic !
Think I will save my bus and train fair and then send it back if its sh.it .:32:

Latest posts

Back