Carat weight not as advertised

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

chicken-licken

Registered Shopper
I bought a "One to own" on tanzanite day, shown as being a ring with one carat of AAA tanzanite and 0.53 of diamonds. When it arrived. it was certainly a beautiful ring and the invoice showed the details as they had been on screen, BUT the authenticity card showed that the tanzanite was only 0.75 carats and the diamonds 0.50, a total deficit of nearly 20%. I rang customer services whose advice was to get it assayed by a jeweller(!),then wrote with photocopies of invoice and card---no response. Any suggestions as to what to do next? I'm keeping the ring as it is to be a gift for my daughter, but I still feel that I was conned.

chicken-licken, my advice would be to write again or e-mail (keep copy, of course), telling them in no uncertain terms - but keeping it polite - that you will take further action, if necessary in the Small Claims Court. Make sure you tell them how you want the matter resolved - do you want to send it back and get a complete refund (including post & packing costs both ways), or what? Give them a deadline date to reply to you and quote your previous communication, which they've ignored. Remember if you send the item back, you will have to pay for Special Delivery, which costs a bit!! Post as many negative comments as you can on different review websites (as long as what you say is true, it's fair comment), take the matter to Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards (ASA) - TJC should not be making false claims on TV. You could also look at the Citizen's Advice website - just google 'Adviceguide'. Hope this helps.

I bought a "One to own" on tanzanite day, shown as being a ring with one carat of AAA tanzanite and 0.53 of diamonds. When it arrived. it was certainly a beautiful ring and the invoice showed the details as they had been on screen, BUT the authenticity card showed that the tanzanite was only 0.75 carats and the diamonds 0.50, a total deficit of nearly 20%. I rang customer services whose advice was to get it assayed by a jeweller(!),then wrote with photocopies of invoice and card---no response. Any suggestions as to what to do next? I'm keeping the ring as it is to be a gift for my daughter, but I still feel that I was conned.

Result! Got an e-mail to say the authenticity card was probably wrong and they will send a new one, then had a phone call to arrange for the ring to be collected for an assessment. I'm happy with this, it will settle any doubts.

Latest posts

Back