Kettle chips - ugh!!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
What is it with crisps these days? It seems that it's kettle chips or kettle chips! Yeah ok, you can buy a multi pack of normal walkers in supermarkets, where I work we do six packs of one flavour only or large ones containing the basic cheese and onion, salt and vinegar and plain, but if you just want to grab a single pack of crisps, the most basic choices are on offer and prawn cocktail if you're lucky. I remember the days where you could easily buy a pack of roast chicken, beef and onion, spring onion, cheese and chive etc etc - delicious crisps lovely and light. However nowadays there's bag after bag of "kettle style" crisps with fancy flavours, coarse sea salt and cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, goats cheese, caramelised onion. Firstly I cannot stand the texture of these horrible things. To me, they taste burnt, they're thick, greasy, jab holes in your gumline and the roof of your mouth (ouch) and leave your mouth coated with the taste of stale cooking oil.

There's plenty of snacks like doritos, which I'm not a great fan of, quavers, frazzles etc (which I don't mind) but what's wrong with a humble packet of ordinary crisps? If you ask for a packet of crisps in the pub, it's always kettle chips flavoured with mousetrap cheese or chillies and they charge about a quid for the (dis)pleasure!

Hands up if you HATE kettle chips!!!!!

I love all crisps!!!

I can happily pass on chocolate but crisps, nuts or anything salty and I can't resist. Prefer ready salted but will eat anything but much smaller quantities of the highly flavoured ones.

There is a crisp factory very near me and they make most of the crisps you see including a lot of supermarket own brands.

Locals are so mad about a particular flavour they produce that it is common for people overseas to get boxes sent out to them. I know one family who take enough with them when they go on holiday so that they have enough to last the week in Spain or wherever they have gone.

I usually buy the M&S hand cooked ready salted which is one supermarket they don't produce for.

Oh I would love a bag now!

Yesterday I bought a 6 pack of salted Lentil Curls from Aldi. They`re made from lentil flour and resemble quavers but aren`t as puffed up and I must say they`re very tasty. I bought the sour cream and chive flavour but they do others.

You can get salted chocolate, delicious.

So I wonder if they may sugared crisps, or chocolate flavour?

I remember first time Walkers did the "do us a flavour competition" Chilli chocolate flavour was shortlisted. If I remember rightly you couldn't really taste much chocolate, but they were edible...builder's breakfast won, and was available for quite a while. The most recent competition a couple of years back was an utter waste of time, they hyped it up to within an inch of its life,and then when they announced the winner (pulled pork)...all the new flavours including the winner disappeared from our shelves never to be seen again!

Yesterday I bought a 6 pack of salted Lentil Curls from Aldi. They`re made from lentil flour and resemble quavers but aren`t as puffed up and I must say they`re very tasty. I bought the sour cream and chive flavour but they do others.

M&S do spicy lentil curls and I love 'em, they're comparably lower in fat and calories too, often buy them for a train journey as there's an m&s food at our train station. However, recently I've just been fancying some good old fashioned crisps and the shelves are full to the brim of kettle chips, hand cooked ( which means kettle style), "sensations" (kettle style again) and I cannot say enough how much I dislike those rock hard shards of greasy, stale tasting over cooked offerings!

You can get salted chocolate, delicious.

So I wonder if they may sugared crisps, or chocolate flavour?

Some of the sweet chilli / hickory smoked / bbq type flavour crisps taste like they've got a sugary coating, so they're probably already doing it! I'm the opposite of LATI, I could take or leave crisps and chocolate is my vice! I actually really like the Kettle Chips / Sensations, but my husband normally chooses the strong flavours I'm not keen on, which suits me as stops me eating them. Must admit, on the rare occasions I do have them, I'm always surprised at how moreish they are! Not a patch on chocolate, though.

Sorry love them. I love sour cream and chives style or balsamic vinegar, hate beef, chicken etc crisps.

The one and only crisps here in Northern Ireland are Tayto(they even have a theme park, you can take the children to Tayto Castle), Cheese and Onion flavour though they do others. People all over the world beg friends and family to bring Tayto(no need to say Cheese and Onion), to them when visiting. Tayto even ship boxes of 48 bags now world now the demand is so big. Loads of other brands available here but its always Tayto.

Sorry love them. I love sour cream and chives style or balsamic vinegar, hate beef, chicken etc crisps.

The one and only crisps here in Northern Ireland are Tayto(they even have a theme park, you can take the children to Tayto Castle), Cheese and Onion flavour though they do others. People all over the world beg friends and family to bring Tayto(no need to say Cheese and Onion), to them when visiting. Tayto even ship boxes of 48 bags now world now the demand is so big. Loads of other brands available here but its always Tayto.

Donna I live just down the road from them - the factory tour is quite good but you have to put up with being hugged by a man in a costume!
Isn't the theme park near Dublin?

Funnily Tayto are pretty far down my list of brands.

Donna I live just down the road from them - the factory tour is quite good but you have to put up with being hugged by a man in a costume!
Isn't the theme park near Dublin?

Funnily Tayto are pretty far down my list of brands.

Yes there is. Never been but know people who took their children for the day and loved it.

I am not a big crisp eater usually Snack A Jacks for me. Or M&S reduced fat sour cream and chive or four cheese and red onion.

What is it with crisps these days? It seems that it's kettle chips or kettle chips! Yeah ok, you can buy a multi pack of normal walkers in supermarkets, where I work we do six packs of one flavour only or large ones containing the basic cheese and onion, salt and vinegar and plain, but if you just want to grab a single pack of crisps, the most basic choices are on offer and prawn cocktail if you're lucky. I remember the days where you could easily buy a pack of roast chicken, beef and onion, spring onion, cheese and chive etc etc - delicious crisps lovely and light. However nowadays there's bag after bag of "kettle style" crisps with fancy flavours, coarse sea salt and cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, goats cheese, caramelised onion. Firstly I cannot stand the texture of these horrible things. To me, they taste burnt, they're thick, greasy, jab holes in your gumline and the roof of your mouth (ouch) and leave your mouth coated with the taste of stale cooking oil.

There's plenty of snacks like doritos, which I'm not a great fan of, quavers, frazzles etc (which I don't mind) but what's wrong with a humble packet of ordinary crisps? If you ask for a packet of crisps in the pub, it's always kettle chips flavoured with mousetrap cheese or chillies and they charge about a quid for the (dis)pleasure!

Hands up if you HATE kettle chips!!!!!

Hands up here - thought I was the lone moan about them for catching in my gum/poking holes in the roof of my mouth. Mind you, I have to be wary of normal ones doing the caught between gum and teeth thing, too.

Pringles for me these days.

Latest posts

Back