You know you're getting over QVC when...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

maymorganlondon

Registered Shopper
Signs that the torrid love affair between QVC and your wallet, aided and abetted by lack of willpower and effective sales techniques, is over.

What is it / was it for you?

This evening I stumbled on the QVC Beauty Excellence Awards. I didn't know about the voting or nominees. Previous years I would have voted on QVC website, and been looking out for the Awards show.

That doesn't mean I will never buy again, but the fascination has gone.

Congratulations. There is a whole wide world of shopping elsewhere out there. Free shipping, better prices, faster shipping.

For me, I just got bored with the products and then finding better prices elsewhere. Like you I will no doubt buy something at some point, but the buying of every beauty TSV is long gone. Bought a few coats years back but the designs now for me boring old fashion and far too expensive. Well the fact I wouldn't be seen dead in any of it:mysmilie_17:

You know it's over (excluding your credit card balance!) when mostly the current bits of Q you know about is from this forum and the laugh you get from their arsebook page.

Either the products are endless beauty or RJ or overpriced clothes. Then if you actually get a show you want to watch it turns out to be your detested presenter (Taxco/Chuntley) and 10 minutes is all you can stomach. Even if you do see something of interest the postage makes you stop in your tracks and have second thoughts.

I knew when I no longer switched the TV onto channel 16 as soon as I turned it on,

In fact, I haven't watched QVC on TV for months, perhaps a year.

I still buy things if a they are a good price (with PP) such as the recent KR shears, which were cheaper than anywhere else, even for the old model.

And my Ninja was also cheaper than anywhere else too, and I use it every day.

Signs that the torrid love affair between QVC and your wallet, aided and abetted by lack of willpower and effective sales techniques, is over.

What is it / was it for you?

This evening I stumbled on the QVC Beauty Excellence Awards. I didn't know about the voting or nominees. Previous years I would have voted on QVC website, and been looking out for the Awards show.

That doesn't mean I will never buy again, but the fascination has gone.

You will now start to see again as the eyes won't be glazed with the 'cult of QVC', your bank balance will be heavier and your relationship will be that of a 'casual shopper', buying but more objectively as you will realise that some of the products that QVC sell are really not all that they seem!

Exactly Donna255 gone are the days when I would order lots of the beauty TSV's Liz Earle / Elemis / Gatineau/ Decleor / Laura Geller/ Alpha H/ Philosophy-- the list goes on. Now I really question the price & P&P & haven't ordered any of these for some time.I did order a Mally eyeshadow palette last Saturday & was pleased with it when it arrived yesterday (Thursday) but really £3:95 P&P for something so small & light?(A recent JLewis order made on a Thursday arrived the following Saturday by 10:30a.m) but enough said about the P&P & slow delivery.Nothing grabs me any more,I feel I've seen it all before-- 'Groundhog Day' & the Easypays don't tempt me & just occasionally the 30 day MBG.

I still turn over for a laugh and to see the astronomical prices being asked. This morning I watched a bit of the Jackie Kabler hours, first with the travel solutions lady and then with the woman selling leather purses or whatever. Jackie Kabler's hair looks like a cross between a haystack and Boris Johnson's barnet (some might say they are one and the same!). It looks like a blonde fright wig has just been plonked on her head, no style, and the effect is of a yellow helmet plonked on her bonce. All the 'miracle' hair styling products are obviously not working, then! Such a contrast between how Jackie looked and the travel solutions lady, neat hair and a pretty, loose-fitting peach knitted top. Why, oh why do they allow these presenters on screen with such untidy, unstyled hair? The female guests really show them up, and tidy, healthy-looking hair, or a decent wig or hairpiece, should surely be a basic requirement for anyone on TV, shouldn't it? She looks like she's peering out from between the curtains. PS: Another reminder to myself of why I never bother to watch a whole programme: Jackie's constantly interrupting the guest with her inane comments, nothing pertinent, just pointless. Why bother having the guest?

Last edited:
I knew when my irritation with the presenters overshadowed what they were selling. I do still buy but it's occasionally rather than regularly & always after seeing the item online. If I like something but it's too pricey I put it in my wish list & wait a few weeks because it usually turns up on eBay, cheaper & often with no p&p.

This morning I watched a bit of the Jackie Kabler hours, first with the travel solutions lady and then with the woman selling leather purses or whatever. Jackie Kabler's hair looks like a cross between a haystack and Boris Johnson's barnet (some might say they are one and the same!). It looks like a blonde fright wig has just been plonked on her head, no style, and the effect is of a yellow helmet plonked on her bonce. All the 'miracle' hair styling products are obviously not working, then!

I was curious was JK looked like and checked out the QVCtv section online, found her and was laughing - maybe she looks worse today but she still looked funny on a HP laptop presentation. Even more hilarious, as I was nipping through, on the Beauty channel was Radical skincare with Sara Griffiths -- now I don't have sound on and really don't watch Q so it was amazing to watch her gabbing on and on and on.....it went on forever in silence thankfully, the camera showing other shots in between but she was still there talking when they went back to her. Having read about it on here but never witnessing it, it was great to see.

I saw a bit of Chloe this morning and she always reminds me of a bad Dusty Springfield look a likey tribute act. In fact I was tempted to mute it and play " Son of a preacher man " in the background whilst she wafted her arms about and the bouffant hair and black eye liner were at their worse.

QVC is unrecognisable from day one, from not presenting on their own to, for whatever reason, thinking they're upmarket and glamorous, maybe they should tell Poo Pourri and Quacker Factory, even the presenters that. The prices are ridiculous but they've got to a point now were they know they could sell crap on a stick for 24.99 plus £5.99 p&p and the die hards would buy it. That won't last though, the new breed of shoppers are internet savvy now, they've grown up being able to check for the best prices so it's only a matter of time before the new shoppers, even the older shoppers, will pay that astronomical p&p and over inflated prices to pay for other people's returns and their massive studio overheads and wages, it's really time now for QVC to check themselves before they wreck themselves but as we know they listen to no one, so wreck themselves it is. :mysmilie_3::mysmilie_17:

I sometimes put things in the basket "just in case" but rarely go back to them (on that part there is no fudging the total cost which is an awakening if one was needed) but usually the next day I get an email reminder that "it is still waiting for you" but I don't even open them to remind myself of what wonderous bargain I'm missing.

A massive difference from the early days when I needed to buy buy buy and now now now.

I saw a bit of Chloe this morning and she always reminds me of a bad Dusty Springfield look a likey tribute act. In fact I was tempted to mute it and play " Son of a preacher man " in the background whilst she wafted her arms about and the bouffant hair and black eye liner were at their worse.

:mysmilie_8:

:mysmilie_15: Lol! Wish it had been the late, great lady herself, I would have enjoyed listening, unlike the Q presenters who just give you earache.

So I am not alone in feeling like this too!

I remember when I could watch a whole Presentation but now I'm lucky if I can watch more than 10mins and that includes Products I really like!

It has to inject something kind of spark as don't think it's half as good as it was once! :mysmilie_5:

Let's face it, watching QVC has become hard work.

- is there a non-irritating presenter?
- is there a non-boring/repetitive brand?
- is there a credible guest?
- is there relevant information being provided?
- is there reasonable p&p?
- is there a competitive price (factoring in p&p)?

Usually the answer to these questions is NO!

I had the Beauty Excellence Awards on mute (by the way, do we/did we ever have transparency as to what made the shortlist?) and then DF's face appeared onscreen, and off went QVC.

I've also, without continuing to add up my spend, binned all my QVC packing notes. Very cathartic.

I can hear her trilling "Believe me, believe me" as she flogs her wares.

If I had a spare 30-40 minutes and nothing else to watch, I often watched Q. Now I watch the News or read a book! That told me. Mind you I tend to refer to this forum for most information. I used to watch all the YC and Beauty TSV shows but most stuff I really want to see is recorded so I can FF through the presenters prattle. For me it has been ruined by iPads, self promotion and bad manners towards guests.

Latest posts

Back