Yes, I know I'm old fashioned.........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
BUT when I hear Craig Rowe saying he "hadn't yet tried the Elemis Overnight Matrix" , why do I screw my face up ?

Yep, the men in my life wore aftershave and smelled beautiful, but that's where they drew the line. This is where I'm a dinosaur, and clearly the chaps of today have a cupboard full of potions, lotions, treatments and manicure 'stuff', so they don't have a zit invading their face and shave their bodies smoother than a baby's bum, but it still makes me 'twitch'.

I agree. Mr CC uses soap and unscented deoderant and that's it. No aftershave, no sleep serum, no fancy lotions or anything like that. However, to some men "personal grooming" is very important and they are a marketing man's dream. 65p bar of soap or £40 cleansing balm? They both do the same job.

CC

BUT when I hear Craig Rowe saying he "hadn't yet tried the Elemis Overnight Matrix" , why do I screw my face up ?

Yep, the men in my life wore aftershave and smelled beautiful, but that's where they drew the line. This is where I'm a dinosaur, and clearly the chaps of today have a cupboard full of potions, lotions, treatments and manicure 'stuff', so they don't have a zit invading their face and shave their bodies smoother than a baby's bum, but it still makes me 'twitch'.

I don't see Craig Rowe as representative of other men.

It's the David Beckham effect, metrosexual man!!!! I know quite a lot of chaps use skincare these days, and good for them IMHO, but I doubt very many use as much as women. I find Craig quite unusual when he discusses his use of all the products. Whereas I can well imagine chaps moisturising, I doubt many of them use serums or primers, or exfoliate and use a face mask. I don't know any who use as much as I do.... And I bet they can't match my beauty stash either!

Hmm. Mr L uses Imperial Leather soap, antiperspirant deo, scholl athletes foot powder, and (reluctantly)Aveeno lotion when his legs itch (he has psoriasis, so this is pretty regular). He thinks he's 'high maintenance' lol!

My hubby is a 66 year old ex miner and he uses block soap and Aldi deodorant and if we`re going out somewhere he`ll add a splash of aftershave. The only thing he uses on his face is shaving cream and for a 66 year old man his skin is pretty good.
When he was down the pit they used the large blocks of Fairy household soap or carbolic soap in the pit head baths. The household soap is no longer available but we recently found some carbolic soap on a market stall and he was delighted. He`s easily pleased !

I’m sure I read somewhere that men’s beauty is one of the fastest growing product markets.
I’ve no idea if this is true, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was.

I personally do cleanse etc, and I had no idea that by talking about it on here that I was offending anyone.

The husband would sooner watch Debbie Flint on loop than use any sort of beauty products, honestly he’s got really dry skin on his legs and just about can be bothered to put Doublebase Gel on that the doctor gave him, there’s no way on this green earth he’d ever use men’s (or anyone’s) grooming products, Gillette Gel for shaving and that’s about it, looks darn good for it too though if I say so myself, so Craig should save his money. :mysmilie_3:

Hmm. Mr L uses Imperial Leather soap, antiperspirant deo, scholl athletes foot powder, and (reluctantly)Aveeno lotion when his legs itch (he has psoriasis, so this is pretty regular). He thinks he's 'high maintenance' lol!

Maybe Mr L could try SBC's propolis gel on his legs to help the itchy psoriasis as it might help more than the Aveeno. I have psioratic arthritis and this has been a huge help for me. It has cleared up the rash on my face, neck and legs and the new Propolis shampoo is now improning the condition of my scalp. It has been a bit of a miracle worker for me, so much so that the Dermatology department at the hospital asked what I was using because of the improvement.

No, Mr M you're not offending, far from it ! Read the title of my thread, its just that being of a far off generation where Old Spice was considered the height of sophistication, getting your head around blokes exfoliating and using night cream aint that easy !

Two comments already have shown evidence of the 'divide' - Beckham creating the metrosexual man, and the 66 year old ex miner. Even in the movies we have seen the emergence of metro man actors as opposed to the likes of Burt Lancaster/Robert Mitchum/John Wayne/Richard Widmark et al .

Myself I would have left home for the gorgeousness of Steve McQueen - his portrayal of Thomas Crown in 1968 - 50 years ago, looks as modern today in his dress and grooming as he did back then. That's some achievement.

No, Mr M you're not offending, far from it ! Read the title of my thread, its just that being of a far off generation where Old Spice was considered the height of sophistication, getting your head around blokes exfoliating and using night cream aint that easy !

Two comments already have shown evidence of the 'divide' - Beckham creating the metrosexual man, and the 66 year old ex miner. Even in the movies we have seen the emergence of metro man actors as opposed to the likes of Burt Lancaster/Robert Mitchum/John Wayne/Richard Widmark et al .

Myself I would have left home for the gorgeousness of Steve McQueen - his portrayal of Thomas Crown in 1968 - 50 years ago, looks as modern today in his dress and grooming as he did back then. That's some achievement.

Ooh yes Steve McQueen was gorgeous. I fell in love with him in The Magnificent 7.

My dear departed dad must have been a bit of a metrosexual man ahead of his time, as his personal grooming was meticulous. My brother only inherited the love of aftershave. By contrast I'm far more into skincare than my mum ever was... Soap and water followed by Astral in her cas, while I'm the queen of the beauty stash!

I’m sure I read somewhere that men’s beauty is one of the fastest growing product markets.

I personally do cleanse etc, and I had no idea that by talking about it on here that I was offending anyone.

Mr M Cleanse away, our husbands are old skool, they're from the days that when there were probably only three woman's beauty products in Boots. My two gorgeous sons do groom, my youngest almost (31) more so than the first born almost (34) they don't cleanse but like to look smart, hair immaculate and designer stubble just so (think Ross off Emmerdale) the male beauty industry is getting bigger although they'll probably lob a tenner on for the same item with a mans face on it. It's a classic case of each to their own, you're definitely not offending anyone that I'm aware :mysmilie_3:

My husband is more Berk Lancaster than Burt. :mysmilie_17: only joking!......ahem!

Let's face it (pun intended), men have been exfoliating a heck of a lot longer than women, which I think explains why they often seem to age more slowly than women. All that shaving was advanced skincare not just beard growth removal.

The husband would sooner watch Debbie Flint on loop than use any sort of beauty products, honestly he’s got really dry skin on his legs and just about can be bothered to put Doublebase Gel on that the doctor gave him, there’s no way on this green earth he’d ever use men’s (or anyone’s) grooming products, Gillette Gel for shaving and that’s about it, looks darn good for it too though if I say so myself, so Craig should save his money. :mysmilie_3:

I don't blame him for not using the Doublebase stuff. It's hard work. I finally got OH to start using Aveeno on his legs as they were flaking all over the house and no longer have skin dust settling over everything. He loves his Aveeno!

I don't blame him for not using the Doublebase stuff. It's hard work. I finally got OH to start using Aveeno on his legs as they were flaking all over the house and no longer have skin dust settling over everything. He loves his Aveeno!

Not an image I wish to conjure up !!

Maybe Mr L could try SBC's propolis gel on his legs to help the itchy psoriasis as it might help more than the Aveeno.

I finally got OH to start using Aveeno on his legs as they were flaking all over the house

Thanks Pandora, but he'd rather not use anything at all! It's only been 20 years of persistent nagging that's made him realise he's actually more comfortable if he uses some Aveeno! He won't even apply that very carefully or regularly, only a minimal amount to whichever bit is itching. It's extremely irritating to me, as a former dermatology nurse, but he won't be told! He wouldn't use sunscreen either at one time, but a few bad cases of sunburn stopped that.

I Very much welcome your comments Mr M and I’ve said many times on here that I would love to see a male Beauty expert.

My Dad just washing with soap and smelt of shaving cream. There is a thread on Basenotes asking what perfume your Mum and Dad wore? Loads of posts what their Dad's wore. My big brother was a Mod back in the day and when he went to the bathroom, you had to make sure you went to the loo as he was in there for hours and when he came out the room was clogging with smells of his products.

Back in history men were the dandies wore face makeup, ears pierced and even heels silk clothes. Only at the beginning of the Victorian era did things began to change. Now it seems we are going full circle.

Latest posts

Back