Yes, I know I'm old fashioned.........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We used Lifebuoy carbolic soap it was red, to wash yourselves with. The odd time it was the Fairy version. My aunt always had Cameo soap I thought her very posh. :mysmilie_17:

My Mum wore Coty La Mont(sp) or the poor woman's no5 as it was known also, Tweed. In her bag, she had little bottles of Pagan and a cream one called Styx. I liked the latter two. When I was older she still wore Tweed but Madam Rochas and Youth Dew.

My grandma always wore Tweed.

When me and the husband bought our fist home, I had Pears soap sitting proudly in its little dish, it looked so nice, just like a big piece of Amber, funny how tastes change though, we haven't used blocks of soap in our house for about twenty years, much prefer liquid. As for perfume, my sister (late seventies early 80s) always used to wear "Gingham" perfume and it was lovely, that and "Charlie" I used to sneak a spritz when she wasn't looking :mysmilie_17:

My cousin still used Pears up to last year when she sadly died. Her husband probably still uses it. I buy liquid soaps from TK Maxx they have some lovely ones.

My cousin still used Pears :mysmilie_17:up to last year when she sadly died. Her husband probably still uses it. I buy liquid soaps from TK Maxx they have some lovely ones.

Aw yes that is sad Lp, funny how we look at things and they remind us of loved ones passed. Yes we buy ours from TK Maxx too. :mysmilie_3:.........and whatever the supermarket has on offer. :mysmilie_17:

When my Mum passed away 30 years ago my Dad asked me to sort her clothes, shoes and bags so he could give them away. I found a small satin beaded evening bag and when I opened it inside was one of the small blue bottles of Soir De Paris. It was empty but the inside of the bag still smelled of it. I kept that bag, it reminded me so much of Mum and I still have it complete with the perfume bottle and it still smells of the perfume to this day.
Another perfume I recall her wearing was Quelques Fleurs and I buy it too. Princess Diana was said to have worn it on her wedding day but I`ve been wearing it since my 20`s and still love it.

I live in Italy and watch QVC Italy and QVC UK. The men over here use perfumes copiously and often leave great clouds of it in the air behind them. It's better than smelling of sweat, but slightly effeminate to my British sensibilities. A bit off-subject, but why does "fashion expert" Glen Campbell wear such crinkled, too-short trousers and ünattractive shoes? They do him no favours and belie his so-called ëxpertise.

When my Mum passed away 30 years ago my Dad asked me to sort her clothes, shoes and bags so he could give them away. I found a small satin beaded evening bag and when I opened it inside was one of the small blue bottles of Soir De Paris. It was empty but the inside of the bag still smelled of it. I kept that bag, it reminded me so much of Mum and I still have it complete with the perfume bottle and it still smells of the perfume to this day.
Another perfume I recall her wearing was Quelques Fleurs and I buy it too. Princess Diana was said to have worn it on her wedding day but I`ve been wearing it since my 20`s and still love it.

Ah what a lovely way to remember your Mum - I keep my lovely Mum's ancient bottle of Empreinte because every time I allow myself a sneaky sniff, it totally reminds me of her - scents can be so evocative.

I still have the small blue bottle of Bourjois Evening in Paris it sits on the unit in my spare bedroom.My Aunt loved Tweed & my Uncle bought her a huge gift box at Christmas- I hated it.My fav. Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass and I still love the classic Dior, Diorella,Diorissimo etc.Mum used Yardley I was more into Max Factor, more modern!Used to spend loads of time massaging Camay soap into my skin as a teenager (the cold cream content!) & THAT is the reason I have few wrinkles @ 71—-forget Elemis, Gatineau. & the like!

Love reading all the perfume names, mum wore Evening in Paris as well, Gingham, I wore that too and all the Yardley ones. Happy days!

I live in Italy and watch QVC Italy and QVC UK. The men over here use perfumes copiously and often leave great clouds of it in the air behind them. It's better than smelling of sweat, but slightly effeminate to my British sensibilities. A bit off-subject, but why does "fashion expert" Glen Campbell wear such crinkled, too-short trousers and ünattractive shoes? They do him no favours and belie his so-called ëxpertise.

He probably thinks it makes him look on trend, put him & Jackie Kabler on the same show & they look like something from a panto. I can't stand his often repeated phrases but I think he's a really nice looking man with a lovely smile. Very envious that you live in Italy, she's my favourite country & we're coming over next month.

Vienna, that is beautiful & has reduced me to sobs, not tears. I can't even think about the perfume my mum wore, after sixteen years it is a memory too far. As others have said fragrances are so evocative.

Love reading all the perfume names, mum wore Evening in Paris as well, Gingham, I wore that too and all the Yardley ones. Happy days!

Yardley perfumes had staying power. Back in the early 80s I wore Pure Silk & also loved one called Sikkim, Pure Silk is still available but made by a different company, poor old Sikkim disappeared, maybe I was its only fan. I now wear Framboise Noir from Shay & Blue but really wish M&S would bring back the original Per Una perfume it was beautiful, inexpensive & lasted.

I'd much rather live in the UK. The blistering, continual heat, the mosquitoes, and the food (pasta is like baby food, I think) are not good - for a holiday OK, though. Yes, Glen talks a fashion storm, and seems like a nice man with an engaging smile and sense of humour, but I think the beard should go and the "hip" clothes! Jackie's white boots are a riot!

I have an older sister and we shared a bedroom. She started work when she was 15 and we had a small dressing table in our bedroom and I remember it being littered with perfume, cosmetics and hair rollers, the old spikey ones with plastic sticks things you pushed into them to keep them in place. She tortured herself every night by trying to sleep in them so her poker straight hair would be flicked up and laquered into place the following morning. I think sis (who`se now 70) spent most of her wages on "stuff" for that dressing table.
I recall Je Reviens perfume, Chantilly perfume, Avon Occur perfume, Boots cold cream in a big white pot, something called Cremolia which she rubbed into her hands, Vitapointe, Apple Blossom bath cubes, a plastic tub of dusting powder with a big puff and Max Factor Creme puff face powder and lots of other things she used on a daily basis. She worked in a shop when she first left school and every morning the hair would be flicked and back combed, the face would be applied and a long spritz of perfume before she left to catch her bus. At least our bedroom always smelled nice even if it did resemble a jumble sale from time to time.

I'd much rather live in the UK. The blistering, continual heat, the mosquitoes, and the food (pasta is like baby food, I think) are not good - for a holiday OK, though. Yes, Glen talks a fashion storm, and seems like a nice man with an engaging smile and sense of humour, but I think the beard should go and the "hip" clothes! Jackie's white boots are a riot!

I always think he looks slightly ridiculous with his 'trying to be hip' style. He never appears to wear socks, which is an affectation that 'last chance trendy's' love to do - the aged Charles Dance is another non-sock wearer. I bet their shoes stink the place out, ugh !

We were sat outside a bar in Sorrento a few years ago people watching. The men used to parade up and down in their Armani suits leaving their fragrance wafting behind them .

Our son, daughter in law and grandson went to Sorrento in May just gone because their friend got married over there, they said it was a beautiful place and will definitely go back, so me and the husband are going to go next year :mysmilie_3:

Our son, daughter in law and grandson went to Sorrento in May just gone because their friend got married over there, they said it was a beautiful place and will definitely go back, so me and the husband are going to go next year :mysmilie_3:

You will love her, so many shops, restaurants & bars. The views are amazing & watching the people whizzing around on scooters all bronzed & only wearing swim stuff is fun. The area around Via San Cesareo is full of little independent shops & going shopping after dinner then being part of the evening stroll is my idea of bliss. Best pizza I've ever eaten was from Ristorante Da Gigino.

You will love her, so many shops, restaurants & bars. The views are amazing & watching the people whizzing around on scooters all bronzed & only wearing swim stuff is fun. The area around Via San Cesareo is full of little independent shops & going shopping after dinner then being part of the evening stroll is my idea of bliss. Best pizza I've ever eaten was from Ristorante Da Gigino.

You have just described my perfect day. :mysmilie_508:

This is just like the carbolic soap we bought from Bury market.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-fash...sid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10&var=671277505331

and this is the original fairy household soap now a collectors item
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fairy-mi...570.l1313.TR3.TRC0.A0.H0.Xhousehold+soap.TRS0

I'm wondering, if the carbolic is antiseptic & fresh, would it be good for bathing, say to replace tea tree? or would it be like drain fluid?

QVC have a three part set 236 898 which is a big outlay to try and maybe not like. What you might prefer is to have a search on ebay for 100 ml bottles of the gel, shampoo and shower gel first.I tried Neutrogena T gel years ago and it didn't work for me but it made a lovely job of stripping my dyed hair! I hope you have success if you try it and let us know what you think. We all have different opinions and experiances of products and I know it's generally try it for youself and see what works.

Thanks V much. What colour did you dye your hair...(some colours strip more easily, auburn/red for example....)

I've just had a vision of Craigy ditching all his beauty goodies & using carbolic soap instead:mysmilie_19:

As if, with the tonnes of freebies they get!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back