SJ of Bare Minerals fame

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ERICS MUM

Registered Shopper
Just a bit of gossip for anyone who’s interested in this sort of stuff (me 🙄). I happened across SJ’s Instagram page and she has posted fab pictures of herself. Then she mentions that she had a gastric band op last year. I’ve noticed over the years that her weight tended to fluctuate a lot, difficult in her job. She’s a great advert for the procedure.

Yes she's alluded to it on air before, she looks great but I'd only recommend it if all else fails, I consider it a quick fix, it's an invasive procedure not to be entered in to lightly. Saying that though, yes she looks great, she's very brave I'd never have the balls to do it. :mysmilie_17:

SJ looks very good, quite a while ago I noticed she was much larger, even thought she was pregnant.Then read she had a gastric band procedure.Agree this must be a last resort if essessive weight is causing other health problems.

she never looked obese though. her weight fluctuated a bit but she was never 20 stones nowhere near it. on a positive if she is happy and it makes her feel better about herself then I am happy for her.

She's clearly struggled with her weight for a while, but I never thought she was particularly fat. Well upholstered, maybe.

Nothing has a higher success rate for obesity treatment than gastric surgery, so maybe she'd decided that conventional weight loss approaches just weren't working for her and this was the next step to get long term control of her weight.

Good on her - she looks a lot better for having lost the weight and it will have improved her overall health enormously. She also seems to have avoided that whole: 'oh, she looks much better for loosing the weight BUT doesn't she look older' thing.

I like her, she's cheerful & likes to laugh. She's always looked smart, regardless of her weight, & I agree that she was never obese. I can't understand how someone who's had this procedure doesn't continue to lose weight, when does someone achieve their ideal goal?

I know 2 people who`ve had gastric bands, both were in their early 30`s and both were Mums to youngish children. Neither of them were what I`d call so overweight they couldn`t work or walk or were disabled by their weight.
One wanted to have the band fitted so she could lose weight for her wedding and the other because she felt huge beside her much skinnier sister. At the end of the day it`s still a medical procedure and carries risks albeit small risks. Both paid privately to have it done and afterwards they both had issues with vomiting.
There were also psychological barriers to overcome. One of the women was my hairdresser and she said when her partner ordered a takeaway or when they were invited to friends or family she had to leave the room when food was being served, partly because she craved it but knew she couldn`t eat it and partly because the sight of loaded plates made her feel nauseous. The other girl who works with my husband couldn`t bring herself to cook family meals not even Christmas dinner and her kids declared she`d become miserable and not much fun. Yes both were losing weight but surely a calorie controlled diet or joining a slimming club would have done the same but without so much pain.
The quick fix and rapid weight loss of a band could be a life saver for someone so big they may die but for younger healthier people its in danger of being wrongly used in my opinion.
Yes my hairdresser eventually fit into her size 12 wedding gown but had to sit at her own wedding reception eating nothing but a tablespoon of her very expensive wedding meal and yes my husband`s colleague lost weight which made her look a similar size to her sister but her husband and children became sick a fedup of her disappearing upstairs when a meal needed to be cooked and served.
Both had to return to their clinics because of medical problems caused by the band and both paid a lot of money to have it done and have also complained that even though they`ve lost a lot of weight they still aren`t completely happy because they feel they now look "baggy" in certain parts of their body.

I know 2 people who`ve had gastric bands, both were in their early 30`s and both were Mums to youngish children. Neither of them were what I`d call so overweight they couldn`t work or walk or were disabled by their weight.
One wanted to have the band fitted so she could lose weight for her wedding and the other because she felt huge beside her much skinnier sister. At the end of the day it`s still a medical procedure and carries risks albeit small risks. Both paid privately to have it done and afterwards they both had issues with vomiting.
There were also psychological barriers to overcome. One of the women was my hairdresser and she said when her partner ordered a takeaway or when they were invited to friends or family she had to leave the room when food was being served, partly because she craved it but knew she couldn`t eat it and partly because the sight of loaded plates made her feel nauseous. The other girl who works with my husband couldn`t bring herself to cook family meals not even Christmas dinner and her kids declared she`d become miserable and not much fun. Yes both were losing weight but surely a calorie controlled diet or joining a slimming club would have done the same but without so much pain.
The quick fix and rapid weight loss of a band could be a life saver for someone so big they may die but for younger healthier people its in danger of being wrongly used in my opinion.
Yes my hairdresser eventually fit into her size 12 wedding gown but had to sit at her own wedding reception eating nothing but a tablespoon of her very expensive wedding meal and yes my husband`s colleague lost weight which made her look a similar size to her sister but her husband and children became sick a fedup of her disappearing upstairs when a meal needed to be cooked and served.
Both had to return to their clinics because of medical problems caused by the band and both paid a lot of money to have it done and have also complained that even though they`ve lost a lot of weight they still aren`t completely happy because they feel they now look "baggy" in certain parts of their body.

Private patients are the worst. They don't fit the criteria to have the procedure done on the NHS so have it done 'on the cheap' in places like Turkey and Eastern Europe. Then, when it goes wrong, they turn to the NHS and expect them to put it right, free of charge. These overseas private clinics have no interest in follow-up or complications - all they want is the money for the procedure.

Unfortunately, patients can think the surgery is the answer to their problems, when in fact it's a very powerful too that can help them achieve their goals. They still need to do the behaviour change, and this is the thing they can end up really struggling with.

The instances given by Vienna should be a stark warning of going for procedures which can be life threatening.Didn’t we just read this week about the death of a young Mother who had gone to Turkey for a bum lift, enhancement? If that is not a warning to people who look at Z list celebs.who take to fillers, Botox and more major surgery as normal as I would go to the Dentist fror a filling—-then there is no hope.I have seen people this week receiving Chemotherapy treatment, I would say go there & see courageous people fighting to have a healthy life.If you have health don’t throw it away on vanity.

My dad had a partial (two thirds) gastrectomy in the early 1950s (the stress of being in Tripoli during and after the WW2 caused ulcers) so he couldn't eat much per meal. I felt bad for him never really enjoying food and I doubt I'd ever consider having a gastric band voluntarily; I'd certainly try every other option first. Mind you I'm not keen on surgery full stop!:michaelmyers:

Obviously I don’t know what criteria is needed for private procedures but I was under the impression that for NHS ones you had to demonstrate a certain amount of weight loss by healthy eating before being considered?

I don’t know what is about women nowadays who want what I would call a “sex doll look “ either by fillers/Botox etc or just those awful pouting selfies (bad enough for teens but 40 plus look ridiculous).

I must admit that my only knowledge of sex dolls are from that hilarious Only Fools and Horses episode LOL

Mr CC was told once by his doctor he should have a gastric band op. He's not huge but he'll never be thin. He was almost being bullied into it but he refused point blank. Came to the point where he changed doctors, then he cut down on takeaways, beer and pies/chips and walked the dog more. The weight came off. I have had lots of surgery in my life and I would say to anyone, don't do it unless you absolutely have to.

Can't say I noticed if the make up lady SJ was fat or thin. I think she looks lovely all the time.

CC

I remember a series the BBC did way back, could have been last century following overweight people trying to lose weight. All supervised by their doctors and the different methods used. There was a man in his 30s I think, he wasn't old and very upbeat and determined to lose the weight. He was getting the band in but really worked to get his weight down to show how serious he was before going for the operation.

Final episodes filmed and shown some later to see how everyone got on using the different methods. I was at a friend's watching and suddenly they announced that the man had actually died on the tablet getting the band fitted. I still remember how shocked my friend and I were! He worked really hard to get the weight down and his GP thought this would work for him to get a band and he died on the table.

Private patients are the worst. They don't fit the criteria to have the procedure done on the NHS so have it done 'on the cheap' in places like Turkey and Eastern Europe. Then, when it goes wrong, they turn to the NHS and expect them to put it right, free of charge. These overseas private clinics have no interest in follow-up or complications - all they want is the money for the procedure.

Unfortunately, patients can think the surgery is the answer to their problems, when in fact it's a very powerful too that can help them achieve their goals. They still need to do the behaviour change, and this is the thing they can end up really struggling with.

Those really get my goat. Expecting the NHS to pay for their own stupidity/vanity

I like her, she's cheerful & likes to laugh. She's always looked smart, regardless of her weight, & I agree that she was never obese. I can't understand how someone who's had this procedure doesn't continue to lose weight, when does someone achieve their ideal goal?

I think in some cases the surgeons can adjust the band as weight loss progresses.

She's clearly struggled with her weight for a while, but I never thought she was particularly fat. Well upholstered, maybe.

Nothing has a higher success rate for obesity treatment than gastric surgery, so maybe she'd decided that conventional weight loss approaches just weren't working for her and this was the next step to get long term control of her weight.

Good on her - she looks a lot better for having lost the weight and it will have improved her overall health enormously. She also seems to have avoided that whole: 'oh, she looks much better for loosing the weight BUT doesn't she look older' thing.

BUT doesn't she look older' thing.[/QUOTE]<<

Shes' had a few procedures on the face/neck. She has a lot of disposable income

Mr CC was told once by his doctor he should have a gastric band op. He's not huge but he'll never be thin. He was almost being bullied into it but he refused point blank. Came to the point where he changed doctors, then he cut down on takeaways, beer and pies/chips and walked the dog more. The weight came off. I have had lots of surgery in my life and I would say to anyone, don't do it unless you absolutely have to.

Can't say I noticed if the make up lady SJ was fat or thin. I think she looks lovely all the time.

CC

She does look nice,as you'd expect from a m.up artist, or anyone whose job is their appearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
On one of yesterday's shows she mixed up the names of the models and some of the colours and said that she had eaten too many jam tarts. I had just nipped out of the room at the time but my sister mentioned it.

I know of a woman who died following complications of this procedure.

Her husband said it was meant to save her life, but actually ended her life.

I personally find the whole idea of it abhorrent....that's just my opinion though.

It should be a last resort but I think it's seen as a quick fix to by-pass the need for self-control.

Latest posts

Back