Erica Davies - 'non influencer' ??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Back to the Love Island thing - I have never watched it and why would I want to watch fake, plastic people copping off with each other. The fact that two of their former contestants took their own lives is appalling and heart breaking so why is the show still on? Because millions watch it and it makes money. Too sad when profit is more important than a young person's life. It makes me really angry. Life has become all about sex and money.

CC

I agree CC, I’d rather hear on loop, ex Love Island contestant Chloe Everton and her “coming up on the way” for 24 hours than watch an hour of Love Island, just as agonising.

Back to the Love Island thing - I have never watched it and why would I want to watch fake, plastic people copping off with each other. The fact that two of their former contestants took their own lives is appalling and heart breaking so why is the show still on? Because millions watch it and it makes money. Too sad when profit is more important than a young person's life. It makes me really angry. Life has become all about sex and money.

CC

When I was a little girl I wanted to be Lady Penelope. When I was 13 I fell in love with David Cassidy & knew we were meant to be together forever, then I grew up. The people who appear on reality programmes, especially the pretty ones, want to be famous, but more than that they want to be stars even though they don't have a talent. Sadly they have a brief time in the spotlight before they get sent back to real life & the next group of wannabes turn up. The two former contestants had very complicated lives with debt & substance abuse being part of that. There was criticism of a lack of post programme support, however, would it have really made any difference two years later? I have no interest in these programmes or those who choose to take part in them because they are adults & are aware of what they are doing. Personally I think life has always been about sex & money; human beings have always been the same, the only difference is that technology now allows us to broadcast every detail. Have you seen 'The Libertine', a film starring Johnny Depp as John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester? Love Island's got nothing on him. Finally, I still love both Lady Penelope & David, what a boy.

Yes, I'm still a naive innocent and I too thought if only David Cassidy could meet me I would be the one lol. Never been pretty, never been rich I'm afraid but I'm doing OK. I've had a very complicated life and I've had debt and drunk too much but I never thought pratting about in a bikini would solve that - if I would even look good in a bikini. I really don't agree with this kind of programme being put out on TV. It just sends out so many wrong messages to young girls/women that this can be a job and if you don't cut it then you end up ugly in Tesco.

CC

Yes, I'm still a naive innocent and I too thought if only David Cassidy could meet me I would be the one lol. Never been pretty, never been rich I'm afraid but I'm doing OK. I've had a very complicated life and I've had debt and drunk too much but I never thought pratting about in a bikini would solve that - if I would even look good in a bikini. I really don't agree with this kind of programme being put out on TV. It just sends out so many wrong messages to young girls/women that this can be a job and if you don't cut it then you end up ugly in Tesco.

CC

I feel terrible now for watching it. Please don’t hate me.

When I was a little girl I wanted to be Lady Penelope. When I was 13 I fell in love with David Cassidy & knew we were meant to be together forever, then I grew up. The people who appear on reality programmes, especially the pretty ones, want to be famous, but more than that they want to be stars even though they don't have a talent. Sadly they have a brief time in the spotlight before they get sent back to real life & the next group of wannabes turn up. The two former contestants had very complicated lives with debt & substance abuse being part of that. There was criticism of a lack of post programme support, however, would it have really made any difference two years later? I have no interest in these programmes or those who choose to take part in them because they are adults & are aware of what they are doing. Personally I think life has always been about sex & money; human beings have always been the same, the only difference is that technology now allows us to broadcast every detail. Have you seen 'The Libertine', a film starring Johnny Depp as John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester? Love Island's got nothing on him. Finally, I still love both Lady Penelope & David, what a boy.

First, my first love was Dr Kildare, and I dreamt of being the one true love of Richard Chamberlain for decades, until, he came out as gay. Gutted doesn't begin to describe how I felt, but hey ho, my Mum may have made the better choice of Ben Casey - it was always Vince Edwards for her.

As for Love Island, I'm not sure when the change happened when adult men of twenty something started looking and acting like adolescent 15 year olds, although it could be when the term 'boy bands' was used for a male pop group regardless of age. Suddenly the old idea of a male and beefy bloke became this hairless chest on 2 legs using moisturiser ! and now we see the results of this revolution in Love Island, when its only boobs and male genitals that distinguish the two genders - everything else looks the same !

I agree CC, I’d rather hear on loop, ex Love Island contestant Chloe Everton and her “coming up on the way” for 24 hours than watch an hour of Love Island, just as agonising.
CE was never on Love Island. She was on a show called “Shipwrecked”. And, no I didn’t watch it and have only a vague notion of what it was about.

I feel terrible now for watching it. Please don’t hate me.

LOL of course I won't! Reading my post back I probably sound a bit jealous of not being young and attractive, but I'm not. I watch what I call rubbish programmes as well, I mean look at all that QVC I spend my mornings watchin:mysmilie_17:g

LOL of course I won't! Reading my post back I probably sound a bit jealous of not being young and attractive, but I'm not. I watch what I call rubbish programmes as well, I mean look at all that QVC I spend my mornings watchin:mysmilie_17:g

Being young is transient, being young at heart is important. We all have our own views as to whether someone's attractive &, having read your comments I know that you're lovely.

How does this Love Island thing work are they competing to win a prize by viewers voting them off the island?

We watched this recently and our daughter(23)said she's bombarded with "opportunities" from MLM companies on a daily basis - including Nu Skin and Younique. Their tactics of isolating their recruits from any friends or family that try to talk them out if it or comment that the products are over-priced is insidious.

There's also a "sugar babies" app where young girls can "connect" with sugar daddies which seems to be Tinder-for-cash; effectively low budget call girls. I'm relieved to be a baby-boomer in so many ways, I wouldn't go back to being 20something :confused:

'sugar babies app'........Where do I sign up..?:mysmilie_47:

Guess that will be the first and last time that they collaberate with an 'influencer' I mean I ask yah, how can someone get paid just for 'ranting' about a product on youtube. I am still 'baffled' by how people make all that they do on this medium and how some channels are more popular than some TV shows. I am not old (well not that old), but just find it a bit 'bemusing' that there is actually a job title now as a 'influencer'! OK I am an old 'fuddy-duddy'!

As for that woman who has become a millionaire by posting about cleaning words fail me. For a start does she look as if she has every done any housework?

Unfortunately I’m beginning to sound like my grandparents and parents in my opinion of people today but surely it isn’t just me who thinks that Love Island/Big Brother are just knocking shops and the idea of sitting as a family with young children to watch this is hardly good parenting yet I know many with preteens who do just that.

I've watched her on This Morning (admits sheepishly, though to be fair I always tape it and only stop on the informative stuff - I've no time for watching zlebs talking crap about stuff these days). She was clueless. They've had a few others on there slopping vinegar down the drain, wiping half a lemon over everything or whatever.

They also don't warn about how much damage these 'new' natural methods can cause to certain things like marble, aluminium and even granite if left a while. My friend would have a boozy night in with friends and cut a slice of lemon or lime for drinks then carry them over to the bin. The drips got bigger as the evening wore on but she thought nothing of a few juice slops on her granite floor tiles. The following morning her hangover soon cleared up when she realised the acid had eaten into the tiles and discoloured them.

It's nothing I didn't know about or even use myself decades ago before chemical cleaners became popular. What happened to generations younger than me (and a lot of us here)? Doesn't anyone teach their kids anything these days? Why would anything these people tout be new or exciting enough to youngsters?

I'm constantly amazed at how stupid people are these days.

CE was never on Love Island. She was on a show called “Shipwrecked”. And, no I didn’t watch it and have only a vague notion of what it was about.

Oh ok my mistake, ex “Shipwrecked” contestant, there we go I’ve corrected myself and for the record, I never said you did watch it or had a notion, but thanks anyway.......I have absolutely no idea were this post came from :mysmilie_3:

'sugar babies app'........Where do I sign up..?:mysmilie_47:

Ugh, please don't even joke about it Sis. Earlier this year I stopped being a volunteer gardener because one of the others wouldn't leave me alone. I'm 60 & had never been made to feel vulnerable until this elderly man crossed the line.

Ugh, please don't even joke about it Sis. Earlier this year I stopped being a volunteer gardener because one of the others wouldn't leave me alone. I'm 60 & had never been made to feel vulnerable until this elderly man crossed the line.

No offence intended, T.

That old bugger sounds like a creep. Weren't you dying to make a horrid/cutting/smart comment out loudly? I tell myself that's what I'd do now I'm older & wiser, but I know (from experience) that we are so shocked & then upset/afraid/sickened in the moment when men do disgusting things.
Could you send him some squashed baked beans in the post?.....or something?

I first bought from QVC back in the 90s, because they sold a lot of things we couldn’ buy readily or not at all in the shops. How changed they have become, to the point that I hate it.

I still buy thingsn because it is handy, but nothing like I used to.

I too cannot believe how stupid people can be these days. Pleased too we no longer get those cheesy phone ins to the studio!

This term Influencer makes me laugh it is so pretentious.I reminds me of an ex colleague who could make the most insignificant achievement in her CV sound like she was qualified to attend a Summit with World Leaders, until you started to read between the lines!

This term Influencer makes me laugh it is so pretentious.I reminds me of an ex colleague who could make the most insignificant achievement in her CV sound like she was qualified to attend a Summit with World Leaders, until you started to read between the lines!

I can imagine or until she actually had a responsibility at work which perhaps showed how able she really was. I have experienced a few of those in the past.

I think to even admit you watch 'This Morning' is brave, I did watch it in the old days of Richard and Judy and Fred the weatherman (always hoped that one day he would fall in), NB (this was before his 'badness' was outed), but now I have never been a fan of those two and how much 'slack' they have been given by ITV. I mean the a few years ago when they 'rolled' in from an awards ceremony, the fact that they have 'drinking' sections (seemingly regularly) and also of course the fact that the people who are on there are only a 'mild' step-up from being 'Jeremy Kyle' fodder.

Sorry I know I have probably offended everyone now and for that I apologise, just my own personal opinions!

I'm so sorry you had to give up something you loved because of that creep. I know I've said it before but I will keep saying it as I want to highlight how many of these men are out there.

It makes me wonder if he's recently developed his creep tendancies or if he's a lonely old man who hasn't realised that this kind of behaviour is no longer acceptable. Or he could have been behaving like this all his life (most probably).

I would like to say I'm brave enough to call this behaviour out these days but I don't think I am. I'm drumming it into my niece that she does NOT have to accept it, though, and after her bad experience in a Ladies toilet where a man in makeup and a dress stood in front of the hand dryer as she came out of the cubicle and lifted his dress, exposing himself to her. She came back to the cafe table white and shaking. It took a few minutes to calm her down enough to get the story out of her by which time the member of staff we reported to said there was no one left in there. Apparently this is happening a lot to her friends, too.

I know there are law changes afoot that will or maybe already have allowed men who dress as women into female-only places, but I told her to scream if this happens again. Attract as much attention as she can but only if she's at the door and can safely escape. I think I need to get my facts straight, though. Does anyone know if this law has passed yet?

Though if someone is in a toilet exposing themselves I don't think anyone would be in the wrong to make a huge fuss.

Twilight - I am really, really sorry this has happened. Could you go back there and see if he's left? If he hasn't maybe you could ask others if he's done it to them and get him banned. Why the hell should you have to stop doing things you love because of men like this? It boils my f'ing blood!

Latest posts

Back