Todays Top Tech TSV 31/08/19 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yorkrose26 View Post
    I agree with all that is said, however as a 'power user', I have a gaming laptop and a Foundation Degree in IT, (not that is relevant), but whilst SSD is best, it is more expensive, saying that however, for a mid-range to lower power user, you can get for the price that this is being 'touted', get a reasonable spec PC for the same price with a 256GB or even 1/2TB drive. Also of course, people use (as I do the cloud) for a lot of storage, so unless you are a game player, then there isn't really a lot of need for a 'high volume' drive. Also of course, without a 'split drive' (with the SSD being the better one), for things like loading of the OS (Windows), then again this would slow the PC down quicker. I mean 2TB is going to take a heck of a long time to defrag.
    Lenovo as brand I am not particularly sold on, when they first came out I had a 'yoga', but the tech was young, so overall it wasn't the best. I tend to stick to HP now, as I find that they are good, solid and reliable (until you use the screen as a pillow (not a good idea)), so yet another laptop that is last gen stock (it is 9th gen currently).

Oh and one final (and most important point) the 7200u is NOT the product number that is the processor speed of the Intel Core I5, if you want to compare how fast that is to others then a website that I use is www.cpubenchmark.com which lists all. The product number is actually Ideapad 330 and despite Lee stating that he had done 'extensive' research and couldn't find it, I did a minimal amount of research and found the exact same model in a well-known High Street catalogue shop, yes more (but cheaper after today) and also cheaper on another website, 'very thorough research' perhaps not!

Sorry rant over!

Sorry for the rant, it is just relatively rare that they have 'tech days' and they can't seem to get them right when they do!
    York rose, you are so right. Lee Hohbein - is he still on QVC - these “experts” ought to have some technical knowledge or, at the very least, provide viewers with the full specs of the machine, and the plus points, and drawbacks, of it. I get great job satisfaction, from providing my customers with the necessary information, to choose the most suitable machine for them. If I mislead, lie to, or withhold information, they know where I am, and can come back and call me on it. Lee is, essentially, a shopping telly presenter, defined by a misnomer. As with the other presenters, they can tell us anything, and get away with it. They are faces on screen. I am astounded that consumers still decide any product is right for them, based on the extolling of someone who is not exactly au fait with, or prepared to be honest about, computers.
    Your point about ssd being more expensive, is not necessarily correct. For example, we currently have three GG ssd laptops, two Lenovo, one hp, £299. Basic everyday machine but, unless one is using it for intensive tasks, it will suffice and, at this price, excellent vfm.
    Likes yorkrose26 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My Acer laptop still has the stickers on it showing its spec, and I was looking at them to compare mine with the Lenovo (which I thought was very expensive BTW) when I discovered the spec included a DVD, which I then took ages to find and open it.

Most laptops on QVC have not included a DVD, and Lee implied it would be very unusual to have one (probably another lie) and he kept saying it didn't matter because you can buy an external one!

Perhaps when I bought it years ago I knew it had one, but I very rarely used the laptop as I had a large touchscreen PC for everyday use. I only started to use the laptop when this PC failed, and I was told it was not repairable (it was an all-in-one).

So I took the hard drive out and put it into an external case so I could still access all my files.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me guess (I didn't see the show) I bet Hohbein extolled the virtues of a 2TB hard drive, and how it meant you could store X amount of photos etc. But on shows where he is talking about products with SSD's in, he slags off HDD's :)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Retrovertigo View Post
    Let me guess (I didn't see the show) I bet Hohbein extolled the virtues of a 2TB hard drive, and how it meant you could store X amount of photos etc. But on shows where he is talking about products with SSD's in, he slags off HDD's :)
    Of course …

Likes Retrovertigo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cant remember the last time i used a DVD on a PC , bought my daughter a laptop and it didn't have one, makes them thinner and lighter, most things you just download nowadays
    Likes Retrovertigo , stratobuddy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deanos View Post
    Cant remember the last time i used a DVD on a PC , bought my daughter a laptop and it didn't have one, makes them thinner and lighter, most things you just download nowadays
    I still like to buy actual CDs and DVDs so I have a physical object that I can keep for ever.

But I always copied my CDs onto my PC, now I can do this again as I've discovered my laptop has a reader/writer. I can also then copy them onto my ipad as well.

PS. I don't have a smartphone, nor any music or video subscription services.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deanos View Post
    Yep very few have CD/DVD drives now, been like that for quite a few years now.
    Likes stratobuddy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stratobuddy View Post
    My Acer laptop still has the stickers on it showing its spec, and I was looking at them to compare mine with the Lenovo (which I thought was very expensive BTW) when I discovered the spec included a DVD, which I then took ages to find and open it.

Most laptops on QVC have not included a DVD, and Lee implied it would be very unusual to have one (probably another lie) and he kept saying it didn't matter because you can buy an external one!

Perhaps when I bought it years ago I knew it had one, but I very rarely used the laptop as I had aI traded my trusty ol Samsung in last Sunday at PC World, got £100 trade in, which after almost 7 years of constant use, I thought was a great deal. While I was there, I noticed all new laptops now don't come with a cd/dvd player. The problem being most of my programmes are on a disc! large touchscreen PC for everyday use. I only started to use the laptop when this PC failed, and I was told it was not repairable (it was an all-in-one).

So I took the hard drive out and put it into an external case so I could still access all my files.
    I traded my trusty ol Samsung in last Sunday at PC World, got £100 trade in, which after almost 7 years of constant hard use, I thought was a great deal. While I was there, I noticed all new laptops now, don't come with a cd/dvd player. I said at the time of purchase, and commented, that went under the radar, as I was unaware they had stopped fitting them!
    So, if you renew your laptop like I did, it won't have a disc drive, sadly it means all new programmes I buy now come with a download key instead of a disc in a box. I did buy an external drive however to transfer files from and to the laptop.
    Quick note, I went on ebay in the week and bought Microsoft Office Pro Plus as a download for £6.99, (yes, less than 7 quid)
    The download key was supplied within minutes, and it installed and works perfectly.
    Hope this info helps. Not sure how much longer the trade in at PC World will last, so give it a thought as it's a decent trade in offer against the cost of a new laptop!
    Thanks stratobuddy thanked for this post