a sobering thought

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bea Frugal

Registered Shopper
QVC have conducted yet another poll. Now they tell us that women spend an average of £133,575 on their looks during their lifetime. This includes gym membership, treatments, skin and hand care, hair styling and makeup.

They don't say what constitues a lifetime, but I reckon a good life might have 60 shopping years. I have jotted down my approx spend per year and then added a fair bit for forgotten odds and ends and I can't get close to that amount. In fact I'm closer to £33,000 than £133,000. Men apparently spend around £75,000 in a lifetime.

Anyway, sounds mind-boggling and a sure fire way to have me checking out the highstreet with renewed enthusiasm, thanks QVC!

I think if you have any beauty treatments at all it can really add up.

Round here a cut and colour is about £120. A monthly gym membership is about £100 a month. A facial is £45+. An eyebrow shape is about £12, a pedicure is £40. A bikini line is between £20 and £50 depending on what you have done.

The annual pre holiday overhaul can run into the hundreds! :nod:

Last time I added my spend up it came out at over £3k year (£250 a month) (and this was few years ago.)

Multiply that by 60 years and I'm way over QVC's average. :sweat::blush:

QVC's number is about £185 a month so round here, if you belong to a gym and buy one beauty TSV a month (some months there are about seven on offer!) That's £140. If you have cut and colour every two months that's another £60 a month...

It's a wonder I don't spend more really. :sun: :giggle:

I think if you have any beauty treatments at all it can really add up.

Round here a cut and colour is about £120. A monthly gym membership is about £100 a month. A facial is £45+. An eyebrow shape is about £12, a pedicure is £40. A bikini line is between £20 and £50 depending on what you have done.

The annual pre holiday overhaul can run into the hundreds! :nod:

Last time I added my spend up it came out at over £3k year (£250 a month) (and this was few years ago.)

Multiply that by 60 years and I'm way over QVC's average. :sweat::blush:

QVC's number is about £185 a month so round here, if you belong to a gym and buy one beauty TSV a month (some months there are about seven on offer!) That's £140. If you have cut and colour every two months that's another £60 a month...

It's a wonder I don't spend more really. :sun: :giggle:

:sweat: OMG. Smelling salts required.:devil::devil::devil:

Thank Heaven's I don't belong to a gym, else I'd be way over budget;-) My body might give out but me face and nails will look fab. I couldn't add it up, it'd be too scary. Some weeks I spend a fortune, while others, a slightly smaller fortune. While I'm working and can afford it, I shall carry on doing so. My hair cut and colour was working out at £100 every 4/5 weeks, so now I have it cut less often and dye it myself inbetween, using the new John Freida Precision Foam which i'm liking. Having a Decleor facial tomorrow but it is 20% off and I haven't had a salon one for about a year. Fish pedicure Saturday but that was a Christmas present. But these really are my extravagances, I don't spend much on clothes, shoes etc. I do like a bag but mostly in the sales. The rest of it I waste on food!!

Well I guess I'm just cheap to keep! If you can afford it and feel better for it then that's great. Does seem an awful lot of money when you start adding it up though. I have the occasional facial and colour my own hair so that certainly keeps costs down. I do like a few treats and enjoy some nice products but only buy if I need something. It's very interesting to see how others view things.

I'm not keen on people touching me so that puts paid to facials etc. I'm a DIY gal (apart from my hair which costs £60-£100 when I force myself to go ~ a bit like going for a smear test!) I spend nowhere near that amount on my looks and I'd be horrified if I did.

:sweat: OMG. Smelling salts required.:devil::devil::devil:

Never fear LH! :heart: I'm doing a challenge on another site not to spend any money on looking good at all this year.

Colouring my hair at home, doing my own waxing / epilating, shaping and tinting my eyelashes at home, having a year off from the gym, not buying any make up and toiletries.... etc. It's Day 52 and I haven't spend a penny yet.

I mean obviously I'm going to fail a little bit. :grin:

I'll need at least a couple of haircuts and I'm going to run out of cleanser in the next few weeks, but I'll be interested to see how little I can manage to spend. (it helps that I have enough make up to last me positively yurrs!) :giggle:

I used to be waaaay worse! In my last job we used to go for mani-pedis instead of lunch at least once a week. We also used to rush round Selfridges Beauty Hall giggling like teenagers in Superdrug and had a regular as clockwork friday night blowdry. My boss used to have daily wash and blow dries before coming into work!

Then there was tanning, facials, and all the other upkeep.

I'm a little more low maintenance now I work in the public sector! :giggle:

I used to buy lots and lots of beauty products and make up from QVC, and would think nothing of spending £30.00 on a TSV and more besides. I had several parcels arriving nearly every day and it got to the stage where they would remain unoped in my wardrobe for days. I would have my har cut every six weeks for £45.00 and think nothing of it. Then I moved and needed to sort my stash out and realized I hadn't used most of my QVC purchases more than once. I also left work so I couldn't afford to buy anymore. Now I rarely buy from QVC and have my hair cut every couple of months for £12.50. I don't miss spending as I find QVC boring now with few products that excite me. I wish I had stopped sooner and saved a lot of dosh.

Have my hair blow dried once a week which costs a tenner and very six weeks coloured at £20 a go
Don't buy any new make up as have loads
Use cleansers I already have and cleansing wipes from Avon to take off my make up
I do my own eyebrows by plucking them out with tweezerman removers
Don't have waxes,use a razor that does the job ok for me
Have loads of face creams and moisturisers for the body to use up so I don't tend to but those any more
The main expense for me is my hair and I am useless with it myself so my cousin does it ,it would cost me a bit more to have it done elsewhere I think.
All in all I don't think thats too bad,never have pedicures or manicures either

I reckon I probably spend aound £140-£150 a month on "me" but I do buy expensive cosmetics/skincare (because I like them) and love my fish pedicures since I staarted them my feet have been so much better, I spend all day on my feet and cant stand anyone touching them but dont mind the fishes nibbling away :happy: I have short hair so have it cut once a month and coloured every other month. I love long soaks in the bath (just heading off there now) and like gorgeous smelling bubbles but find most supermarket cheaper brands make me itch so stick to MB, Elemis and occasionally L'Occitane.
Dont go out much so these are my treats

My hair care works out at about 30 euros a month. I colour and highlight it myself and have it cut and styled every 3-4 months at a cost of 85 euros per visit.

I pluck my own eyebrows, epilate myself and moisturise with Palmers cocoa butter. My facial moisturiser is Aveeno which is reasonably priced and lasts forever and, although I wear makeup every day, it seems to last for ages too.I do my own manicure and pedicures.

I don't have a stash apart from MP eyebrow pencils which I stockpiled when they were being deleted. My biggest expense is sunscreen which is necessary here.

I saw this in the Daily Express today - and I think it truely varies according to where you live.I completely agree with Love A's prices for my area.

In the past I dread to think of the money I've spent on my hair - but other than that,I just haven't had the money to do the rest of it!!! I went through a stage of having my eyebrows and bikini wax done regularly and TBH it was costing me a fortune.

Luckily I've never had the skin that could facials etc nor expensive creams.

So nearing my forties,I've become an excellent hand at doing my own waxing,nails and beauty treatments.I even colour my own hair now.

I still have the expense of my haircut at around £45 every 6/7 weeks - but after today's figures,I think thats OK:cheeky::heart:

I'm not keen on people touching me so that puts paid to facials etc. I'm a DIY gal (apart from my hair which costs £60-£100 when I force myself to go ~ a bit like going for a smear test!) I spend nowhere near that amount on my looks and I'd be horrified if I did.

ooh that's just how I feel too, I hate having my hair cut nearly as much as having a smear test, thought it was just me. A spa is my idea of hell, having strangers touching me. Colour my hair myself and do regular diy facials mainly due to cost but also cos I find it quite invasive and get a bit cringy. My sis treated me to a facial at Aveda and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Ungrateful I know.

ooh that's just how I feel too, I hate having my hair cut nearly as much as having a smear test, thought it was just me. A spa is my idea of hell, having strangers touching me. Colour my hair myself and do regular diy facials mainly due to cost but also cos I find it quite invasive and get a bit cringy. My sis treated me to a facial at Aveda and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Ungrateful I know.

I'm the same. I have never had a facial and hate having my hair done.

I spent £95 yesterday in John Lewis on 3 Chanel make-up products. Hope OH doesn't read this :giggle: They are truly gorgeous though. It's my Prozac!!!

I spend all day on my feet and cant stand anyone touching them but dont mind the fishes nibbling away [/QUOTE]

OMG - although I don't spend all day on my feet (more like 1% of it!!) , I can't stand anyone touching my feet either. In a moment of madness I had one of those fish pedicures last week and had to force myself to keep my feet in the water - the relaxing element evaded me. Fish should be battered and on a plate with chips :giggle: Never again !!

I treat myself to a trip to London (sometimes fitting it in with a visit to my sister's) about 3 times a year to have my hair cut at Aveda. £65 a time but it is fantastic and my hair is wild and curly - for those of you old enough think Hair Bear Bunch's Hair Bear or Chrystal Tipps... I have also found the maintenance facial at Liz Earle is superb so try and fit one of those in too. My treats to myself as I don't drink or smoke, don't go on wild nights out and can afford it. TSV purchases for beauty are perhaps twice a year and either a Liz Earle or Decleor but even those have gone by the wayside in the last 12 months.

Just off to polish my halo :angel:

I have my hair highlighted every 3 months because I make a complete hash of it doing it at home. Spend too much on clothes, but I am really trying to curb it. I don't have beauty treatments but buy Liz Earle and Prai fairly regularly. I also drink, smoke and am old enough to remember the Hair Bear Bunch! Loved that show.

Latest posts

Back