Advice on whether to get a Mini oven with hob or a halogen oven or both.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

piper4

Feline & Veiltail Techie!
Two Elms left & One Oak north of Pixie Wood on the
Hi
everyone

My cooker has been condemned and I cannot afford to buy one at the mo, so I spotted an Andrew James Mini Oven with hob and a Andrew James Halogen Oven both from Amazon.

I only have a microwave and slow cooker I will need to cook a small christmas dinner for 3 to 4 persons, I will not be having a whole turkey just a breast joint and the usual trimmings but I thought I could get them ready prepared.
I have been watching demo's of Halogen ovens but am still very wary of them but AJ one comes with extra's which I thought was a good deal. I really miss not having a hob as I love soft boiled eggs for breakie.

Any advice about these two items would be just great, my sister in the States swears by her Electric Fry pan but I don't want to have things I won't use.

Thanks so much

Mary xxx

I LOVE my halogen oven and wouldn't be with out it. I use it every day some time 2 or 3 times a day it does take some getting used to so if you are going to get one now would be a good idea as I don't think that your Christmas dinner is the first thing you should cook in it.
Have you tried the old fashion way of soft boiling an egg, you need to put it in to your electric kettle with a pinch of salt , just cover it with COLD water , bring to the boil as normal and then wrap the kettle in an towel and leave for 6-8 mins depending on the size of your egg and how well you want it cooked.
You can pour the water and egg carefully into a thermos flask if you need the kettle before your egg is cooked.
Just remember to rinse it out before you next use it.
I have never used a table top oven but the lady who gives energy saving advice on radio Cornwall is always saying how she wouldn't be with out hers.
Hopefully someone who has one will come along and let you know how well they work or not.

Thanks MM for your reply. I will try the method you suggest for eggs. I thought if I went down the mini oven route I would have less chance of having a christmas dinner disaster though when I have watched Halogen oven demo's it all looks so easy and the food comes out so good.
Up until my cooker went kaput I really just used my micro for steaming veg and salmon steaks etc., I get bags that are for steaming food in a micro so I just buy fresh veg etc., and it's so easy it's just christmas coming up, my slow cooker I haven't used yet I lost the cookery book that came with it but noticed Amazon have them so that might be helpful.

It seems to have been one thing after another my rather ancient washing machine has broken down and is not repairable so between that and the cooker I'm doing really well, so hopefully nothing else will go on the fritz (touch wood)

piper4

I got a mini oven when two of my halogen ovens went kaput, although without the hob rings on top. It was ok but I had to heat it up for 5 mins before cooking, not so with the halogen. It was also very difficult to clean, not so with the halogen. The mini oven got so bad that it used to smoke a little and set my highly sensitive smoke alarm off. So I thought I would get a third halogen and I realised how much I'd missed it. It cooks better imo, faster and cleaner. Out of the two I would chose it, I just hope it lasts a decent time.

You can replace the halogen bulbs and my Andrew James Halogen Oven came with a spare, I just don't know how easy it will be to replace it when the time comes.
I am now on my second halogen oven the first lasted about 18 months and I used it every day most days 2 or 3 times so I felt I had gotten good use out of it.
I have brought both of mine on line for around £30.00 much less than Ideal World or any of the other infomercials.
Good luck with what ever you decide.

I bought a halogen oven off Ideal world and I love it and use it every day it takes a few attempts to get used to it but you can cook everything in it just like in the oven and you can grill in it , so if you got one now by christmas you can get used to it and you will know what its capable of ,I also have a Andrew James Induction hob (wish I'd bought the double ring one and not the single one though) and I put all my veg in a steamer and find it very good and great for energy saving to (and it does great boiled eggs),It's very seldom that I put on my oven now . By the way I also have a JML bag sealer and you can put your fresh veg in one of the bags and seal them up and when you want to use them you can snip a whole in the bag and steam you veg in your microwave or drop them in boiling water and cook them in the bag.

Have you thought about trying to find one on offer on Freecycle or Freegle?

These are local groups who offer things for free so that someone else can get use out of them rather than have them going into landfill. I have given loads of stuff away - including a washing machine, sewing machine, halogen over, fridge freezer... all have been working. I've also been given some HUGE rocks for the garden.

http://www.freecycle.net/

http://www.ilovefreegle.org/groups/

Also, some charity shops - British Heart Foundation might be one of them - sell tested second hand appliances and they can deliver too.

Edited to add... I found the halogen oven to be pretty good at roasting / toasting but you can't get as much in as you think you could. Mine did get things to go crispy and did make great jacket potatoes.

Last edited:
Thanks Tiddlywinks for your reply and suggestions. I will look into it especially where a washing machine is concerned.
I have gone for a mini oven at the moment as at least I'll know how to work it and perhaps a halogen oven later.
The housing association I'm with has to pass any cookers that come into the house so I have held off on checking second hand etc., my own cooker was condemned because the pointy bit that keeps the oven door shut snapped off and is not replaceable, I had been using my microwave and slow cooker to replace the oven, but then their engineer came to do his annual check up and spotted the broken door catch and that was it, they are very strict, especially concerned about carbon monoxide poisoning he gave me an alarm. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks

piper

Piper 4 - most of the things offered on Freecycle / Freegle are working or they will say otherwise. A lot of people upgrade stuff before Christmas so you might get lucky. If you post a 'wanted' ad and explain your problem, people will understand that you need a working model only.

With some of the charity places that re-sell donated items, they will have been checked before sale so that's worth a go.

Good luck...

Hi every one

A bit late but I thought I was update I used my mini oven/microwave oven for my christmas dinner for 3 of us. Everything just worked out great, I have used it practically every day and one of the main benefits for me is the timer on it which swtiches it off, as I have a sleep disorder which can strike at any time it's a comfort to know the oven will switch off, I don't use the rings much as I steam most veg etc., in the micro.
I may get a halogen oven later in the year, thanks to every one who replied it was well appreicated.

piper

Latest posts

Back