Alison O’Reilly

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ERICS MUM

Registered Shopper
I’ve just been reading Alison’s Instagram re the Stand Up for Cancer programme on Ch4 tonight. Since 2004 she’s lost both parents and sister to cancer and has come through her own horrendous treatment. She’s added some pics showing various stages of her treatment - she looked very ill.

You’ve got to admire her strength of character. I wish her the best recovery.

I don’t donate to national charities but I’ll definitely pop something into the shop run by our local hospice tomorrow.

Cancer is the beast that blights our lives, and scientists have been doing decades of research to rid us of this curse. Each sufferer deals with it in their own way, but personally I wouldn't nor can I see the point of taking to Instagram to show how ill I was. Julia Bradbury and Victoria Derbyshire - tv people, who did the same, and I fail to see why.

My sister had her op for breast cancer 2 years ago in July. Since then she has had one telephone consultation.
She didn't find a lump it only showed up on her mammogram. She received a letter to have another mammogram and as she was having it a consultant came in and asked if it was ok for some students to come in. She agreed to be totally floored when he announced and there you can see the tumour!!!! The nurse was horrified,as was my sister as she had no idea.

I think that would be cause for complaint. Students have to learn, we all agree on that, but to diagnose without first being in private consultation with the patient is a dereliction of duty.
She doesn't know if the consultant wasn't aware that she was ignorant of the fact but still a dreadful shock to her. She knew she has the faulty BRCA gene and we have lost 2 cousins and one of their daughters to breast cancer.

Some of these Doctors and Consultants can be brutal in the manner they deliver information.Many should be brought to task but the patient is often too shocked and traumatised to take the matter further.It really needs addressing and I have been with someone in such a situation.It is then left to the nurses to bring in some support and empathy.

My sister had her op for breast cancer 2 years ago in July. Since then she has had one telephone consultation.
She didn't find a lump it only showed up on her mammogram. She received a letter to have another mammogram and as she was having it a consultant came in and asked if it was ok for some students to come in. She agreed to be totally floored when he announced and there you can see the tumour!!!! The nurse was horrified,as was my sister as she had no idea.
Absolutely no excuse for the incompetence. Finding out if the patient knows of their diagnosis is absolute minimum. I’m so sorry this happened to your sister.

I was attending clinic every 2 months and the consultant would feel for lumps and bumps. Since Covid I have telephone appointments more often than not which is not ideal. I am in remission from Lymphoma but it can come back.
Generally though the nhs has been brilliant and I had all the most up to date treatments.
Allison seems to have come through her treatment well.

Ah thank you. I think she was so stunned she didn't know what to say.
That is really awful treatment, bless her. I hope the student and consultant will have learned to ensure good communication and follow procedures so that they never do that to another patient 😔

How is she doing now? Hope she’s getting the treatment she needs.. X

Appalling, inexcusable & arrogant.

That is really awful treatment, bless her. I hope the student and consultant will have learned to ensure good communication and follow procedures so that they never do that to another patient 😔

How is she doing now? Hope she’s getting the treatment she needs.. X
As I said in an earlier post she has had one telephone consultation in nearly two years.

Latest posts

Back