An uncomfortable moment for all concerned during last nights Phillip Kingsley 11pm

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BenFongTorres

Guest Shopper
The scene.........

A T-caller...........

"So that kit that you said is for coloured hair,do you mean hair that is coloured or.........."

Jilly swiftly interupts,whilst also cringing herself into a small ball right before my very eyes.

Both Phillip and she go on to explain that yes it is indeed for hair which has been coloured.

I think to myself "Geez is it 1972 already??,where does the time go??

Human beings never cease to embarrass me,I must take leave of this earth!

Tbh I don't know why they persist with t-callers, the ratio of risk:benefit must be very high. I don't think I have ever decided to buy something based on a t/caller's recommendation, but I have switched off due to the cringe factor.

The odd caller is downright dangerous (malicious?), like this one and the woman who asked Leonie how her "little one" was (about 3 months ago). Luckily Allison Keenan stepped in quickly and gave an update on her own young son.

Oh my goodness...! :eek:

Erics's Mum - I agree with you about the T callers. I think it's a hangover from QVCUS where there tends to be lot more gushing I imagine.

Honestly, the public - they're a hazard aren't they?! :D

Tbh I don't know why they persist with t-callers.....I don't think I have ever decided to buy something based on a t/caller's recommendation, but I have switched off due to the cringe factor.

Nor me & I suspect......nor anybody else! lol

The odd caller is downright dangerous (malicious?), like this one........

Hhmm, she went on & on about what should she use as her hair was chemically straightened & aggressively coloured every month & was breaking off/falling out/whatever.......what does that tell you then......stop doing it maybe?
When she got to finally asking if there was anything else they recommend she get, OH (without even looking up from his magazine) suggested....'a brain?'

Maybe less malicious & more a case of 'the wheel is spinning but the hamster's not on it.....?' :headbang:

They do its about 5 seconds , so they should be able to mute or cut off if necessary

I'm not sure about that being a deliberate delay - I've been a T-caller and there is a slight delay but only of the briefest time - I think it has more to do with the delay in the signal going down the phone line and back and up to the satellite and down again etc. If that is the case, I don't think it would be an actual delay at QVC's end (it would seem to be almost instantaneous there) and is only a delay between broadcast from the studio and receipt by our tvs, and so would not give them the opportunity to take such action.

I didn't really notice any embarassment, but that might be me. But I believe the lady who rang last night said she was mixed race? That would surely say more about her own life experiences than anything Jilly might have said?

I'm not sure about that being a deliberate delay - I've been a T-caller and there is a slight delay but only of the briefest time - I think it has more to do with the delay in the signal going down the phone line and back and up to the satellite and down again etc. If that is the case, I don't think it would be an actual delay at QVC's end (it would seem to be almost instantaneous there) and is only a delay between broadcast from the studio and receipt by our tvs, and so would not give them the opportunity to take such action.

I didn't really notice any embarassment, but that might be me. But I believe the lady who rang last night said she was mixed race? That would surely say more about her own life experiences than anything Jilly might have said?

No,the t-caller prior to the one I mentioned was mixed race.

I think for the most part that t-callers are a liability,however I wouldn't advocate getting rid of them altogether because every once in while you get a decent non-cringy one,plus the times that people call in to have a gripe about X,Y+Z are always entertaining....and usually QVC never cuts that person off,although I suspect that this will be their first and last t-call as flag will be put against their names should they try to get through again.

Also the t-callers help to keep the presenters on their toes as many of them appear to be sleepwalking through their presentations.

I dread to think how this t-call would have unfolded had Jill Franks had to field it?? Coz although she resembles a twig,ironically she is as thick as two short planks!!!
It would have descended into a shame-fest for sure!

Last edited:
No,the t-caller prior to the one I mentioned was mixed race.

!

I had recorded this, so have just watched it back. The first caller was mixed race, but the second one was also. She asked a few questions about her repeatedly colouring her hair every month and straightening it every three months etc, stating that it was breaking off every four weeks etc (she wondered which elasticizer to use) so I think this is the one we are talking about? Anyway, she was definitely also mixed race - she stated she was African-European. She was definitely confused about the description of 'for coloured hair', asking whether it was meant for you 'if you coloured your hair' but I didn't think there was much embarrassment at all! It just seemed a really matter of fact enquiry and everyone was very jolly about it.

I had recorded this, so have just watched it back. The first caller was mixed race, but the second one was also. She asked a few questions about her repeatedly colouring her hair every month and straightening it every three months etc, stating that it was breaking off every four weeks etc (she wondered which elasticizer to use) so I think this is the one we are talking about? Anyway, she was definitely also mixed race - she stated she was African-European. She was definitely confused about the description of 'for coloured hair', asking whether it was meant for you 'if you coloured your hair' but I didn't think there was much embarrassment at all! It just seemed a really matter of fact enquiry and everyone was very jolly about it.

Well I definitely didn't hear that and believe me I was listening.Unfortunately I can't pull up the video for this call as I believe she phoned during an OTO therefore the video will no longer be there.

However,black and or mixed-raced people don't usually refer to themselves as "coloured" unless they are 90 years old and have been subjected to that word for all their lives...or have had the misfortune to be raised in South Africa.

Yes i'm sure everyone was quite jolly and non emabrrassed about it in the usual British fashion.

it was cringeworthy but the presenters and kinsley et all managed it very well.
i was wondering about the coloured angle and some companies state on their packaging that it is for mixed race hair or black hair. phyto come to mind.

with regard to her straigtening her hair and colouring it and it falling out on black peoples hair will break quite easily with any amount of processing.
i suppose she is doing the best to look her best....

it was cringeworthy but the presenters and kinsley et all managed it very well.
i was wondering about the coloured angle and some companies state on their packaging that it is for mixed race hair or black hair. phyto come to mind.with regard to her straigtening her hair and colouring it and it falling out on black peoples hair will break quite easily with any amount of processing.
i suppose she is doing the best to look her best....

Lol,there is no company in the UK that could label their products for "coloured"people.Can you imagine a Phillip Kingsley kit labelled "for darkies"?
Methinks not.

However,products which are usually Afro-Carribean or African descent specific will be labled as such or they will come under the heading for extreme curly or coarse textured hair...like Phillip Kinglsey's extreme elasticizer which can also be used by Caucasian or Asian's who have this type of hair.

Lol,there is no company in the UK that could label their products for "coloured"people.Can you imagine a Phillip Kingsley kit labelled "for darkies"?
Methinks not.

However,products which are usually Afro-Carribean or African descent specific will be labled as such or they will come under the heading for extreme curly or coarse textured hair...like Phillip Kinglsey's extreme elasticizer which can also be used by Caucasian or Asian's who have this type of hair.

darkies that a novel name for black people. reminds me of what the klan would say at littlerock when they tried to integrate the black children in all white schools.:sad:

darkies that a novel name for black people. reminds me of what the klan would say at littlerock when they tried to integrate the black children in all white schools.:sad:

Yes I believe BFT was using it as an extreme example and in not in a a racist way. My Grandma who lived in Batley used that term and it made me cringe!!!

It amazes me in this century about how we are still so paranoid about words alluding to race!

Last edited:
Yes I believe BFT was using it as an extreme example and in not in a a racist way. My Grandma who lived in Batley used that term and it made me cringe!!!

It amazes me in this century about how we are still so paranoid about words alluding to race!

I thank you for possessing reading comprehension skills.:)

Ladies & Gentleman if we are talking politicaly correct I have to share this one with you.
My son got told off in one of his class a few months ago for describing the American president as 'mixed race' Although not told at the time by the teacher (disgracefull) Apparently the correct term is now 'Dual heritage' !! Needless to say my son was mortified at the time, had never heard of Dual heritage before, me neither, and the BBC still used 'mixed race' in their broadcasts. ....Sometimes you are scared of opening your mouth for fear of 'saying the wrong thing' I just wish we could be told about these things instead of being aloud to make a fool of ourselves!

However,black and or mixed-raced people don't usually refer to themselves as "coloured" unless they are 90 years old and have been subjected to that word for all their lives...or have had the misfortune to be raised in South Africa.
Yes i'm sure everyone was quite jolly and non emabrrassed about it in the usual British fashion.

She said it almost at the beginning of her call. I am very aware of the problems non-whites have had in the past in this country (and many still do!), since I have, and have always had, friends from all ethnicities. I grew up, and live, in an ethnically diverse area and am very passionate that people are people first. The point I was making in both my posts was that it was the T-caller who appeared to raise that point (about whether coloured hair meant chemically treated hair) not anyone in the studio and that the query was dealth with in a matter-of-fact way, her question answered, advice given etc. I'm not really sure what the 'usual British fashion' is, but as I said I have been with friends when they have been subjected to comments about their colour, I have discussed with them all manner of such issues (and incidentally have been on the receiving end of anti-white racist comments) and am very politically sensitive and culturally sensitive and I really did not think there was problem or a reason for anyone (t-caller or in the studio) to be embarrassed. But then, that's just how I saw it, and understand that others, including yourself may think otherwise.

Ladies & Gentleman if we are talking politicaly correct I have to share this one with you.
My son got told off in one of his class a few months ago for describing the American president as 'mixed race' Although not told at the time by the teacher (disgracefull) Apparently the correct term is now 'Dual heritage' !!

Is it? Is it b*ll*cks! And what tw*t thought that up then? Another PC paper shuffler? Never heard anything so stupid in my entire life.......! :doh:

Sometimes you are scared of opening your mouth for fear of 'saying the wrong thing' I just wish we could be told about these things instead of being aloud to make a fool of ourselves!

The only 'fools' are those who invent such utter twaddle & tbh, all this sort of thing does is create tension.....!

Nicky-J - maybe after AY apparently 'offended' some people a few weeks back by suggesting that some skin colours can look dull & patchy under certain conditions, making it look not as clean & shiny as it could be (or something like that), which was immediately followed by the 'offended brigade' ringing up & demanding she apologise for saying they had 'dirty skin' (or some such utter carp!)...........AY had a red face for the rest of the show, though I got the impression she was less embarrassed & more seething at peoples' stupidity than anything..........guess that's why they looked a bit like startled rabbits last night........one wrong word or phrase & bang, the 'offended brigade' are ready & waiting to pounce!

if you are not able enough to see that the term "darkie" is offensive then then that is why the political correct are still in jobs.

it is obvious to me and the rest of the world that philip kingsley would never label a product for "darkies" he is a business man not a fool!:tongue2:

She said it almost at the beginning of her call. I am very aware of the problems non-whites have had in the past in this country (and many still do!), since I have, and have always had, friends from all ethnicities. I grew up, and live, in an ethnically diverse area and am very passionate that people are people first. The point I was making in both my posts was that it was the T-caller who appeared to raise that point (about whether coloured hair meant chemically treated hair) not anyone in the studio and that the query was dealth with in a matter-of-fact way, her question answered, advice given etc. I'm not really sure what the 'usual British fashion' is, but as I said I have been with friends when they have been subjected to comments about their colour, I have discussed with them all manner of such issues (and incidentally have been on the receiving end of anti-white racist comments) and am very politically sensitive and culturally sensitive and I really did not think there was problem or a reason for anyone (t-caller or in the studio) to be embarrassed. But then, that's just how I saw it, and understand that others, including yourself may think otherwise.

I'm not gonna go down the "I have many friends who are black"road with you,i've seen and heard that tap-dance one too many times.
And i'm sure your cultural sensistivity credentials are peerless,let's just take that as read.

So let's just say we see and experience things differently and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back