Anyone tried This Works pillow spray?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have difficulty sleeping as well. I tend to cycle through different things rather than always doing the same.... a lot of what will work depends on what is keeping you awake, and for me it's not always the same thing.

I've used hypnotherapy CDs - not to be hypnotised, but to relax more thoroughly - when nothing stops the hamster wheel from spinning, this is the best for me.

Essential oils:
I use lavender essential oil on a piece of kitchen towel under the pillowcase.
I also use marjoram essential oil the same way - it can be like knock-out drops. It's more powerful than lavender and has the advantage that lavendar essential oil lacks - it works the same way however much you use... too much lavender essential oil acts to stimulate rather than calm.
Same with clary sage essential oil (a little relaxes, a lot stimulates).

Magnesium deficiency can cause sleep problems. So equally using magnesium can alleviate them. One way to help with this is a soak in epsom salts which contain magnesium (and you could combine with a drop or two of a calming essential oil). Epsom salts are not expensive and are easily obtained in healthfood shops, chemists and on line. You can also get magnesium sprays either to take internally or as an oil that you can massage on the skin. Magnesium can also help with muscle cramps. I found it excellent for both sleep and muscle cramps when I've used it (but if you soak in epsom salts before bed, don't make the water too hot).

You can try a hop pillow (healthfood shops and websites will sell these). I've not tried this, but am interested to try one.

Then there are herbal supplements you can try. I personally try to avoid these as while they do help you sleep, they leave me feeling groggy and "hungover" the following day.

You can try keeping a notebook by your side to write down thoughts that come to mind.

It's also worth taking a note of whether being too hot or too cold makes you wakeful and adjusting for the temperature in the room together with your bedding choices.

With insomnia, it's always better to have lots of different tactics you can use, and also not to get too worked up about it (getting stressed about it will just make it worse).

Like with everything, as we're all unique, what works for some people won't necessarily work for someone else... and what works for you on one occasion may not work on another.

If you really can't sleep, it can be better to just get up and find something neutral (boring) to do, rather than fretting in bed. I actually find a cuppa can help me relax and go back to sleep, or watching something unchallenging on tv, listening to some relaxing music... nothing too physically or mentally active. Once you take yourself out of the stressful situation of not sleeping, it's amazing how quickly you can get back into sleep mode.

I've wondered about pillow sprays, I don't have trouble getting to sleep but wake up hours before I need to then can't get back off" especially if hubby is snoring. I thought I could spray the pillow then rather than when I go to bed. Only think putting me off is staying oils onto my bedding. I don't want horrible grease marks on it

I've wondered about pillow sprays, I don't have trouble getting to sleep but wake up hours before I need to then can't get back off" especially if hubby is snoring. I thought I could spray the pillow then rather than when I go to bed. Only think putting me off is staying oils onto my bedding. I don't want horrible grease marks on it
Use kitchen paper towel and drop/spray some on that and then tuck it under the pillowcase, if you're worried about spraying directly onto your bedlinen.

Bear in mind that essential oils don't all stain. They often don't actually feel oily the same way a glob of olive or sunflower oil would do.

Get husband to wear snore cones like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeAshL7CKPA

They do make a big difference. I don't know why my nostrils seem constricted at night and as soon as I get up - bing! - and I can breathe normally again. I used to wake up with really bad headaches and a dry throat. It all started when I fell off my bike a few years ago, dislocating my shoulder and tearing the rotator cuff muscles on the right side. That together with the breathing problems was like someone twisting a knife in my shoulder the whole night whilst suffocating me with a pillow. After 18 months of no real sleep / 90 mins a night I started feeling like I was going mad. The GP wouldn't help me and just kept prescribing more tablets. At one point the co-codamol stopped working, and I thought: "maybe if I take the whole bottle they might have an effect." I poured out the tablets into my hand and was about to swallow them all with a glass of vodka when my ex-girlfriend's favourite song, (Princess - "Say I'm Your Number One) came on the radio. I remember sitting their crying to myself, just wishing that she could be there. 10am the next morning she texted me asking if I was alright as she'd just had a feeling to get in touch. She gave me the confidence to think about different options. I found a brilliant clinic in Vilnius where they did a therapeutic manipulation and mesh repair under general anaesthesia. After 3 weeks the pain reduced by half and within 2 months it was gone. I remember waking up after the first proper sleep and it was the most amazing thing. It was just so lovely feeling refreshed instead of stale, heavy and inhuman. I remember seeing the sunlight coming through the window and not burning my eyes, just a feeling of invigoration. Lack of sleep is a real killer. Now I really value sleep and try to place great importance on it. My current employers have been amazingly supportive and covered the cost of my treatment and physio to the tune of several thousand. Some people think of them as the font of all evil but I owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

Last edited:
****** hell Julius that's a dreadful place to be. I'm so pleased you managed to find a way of turning things around. I know how bad you can feel trying to sleep when you are in pain, I went through the same for 8 months or so until I had an operation on my spine. Sleep deprivation makes you feel so bad, it does allow your body or mind to heal or rest, it's always switched on. Your Employer sounds very supportive, not many would fund an operation. it sounds like you are well on the right track now and we'll away from that dark place. Take care.

While essential oils are great please be careful there are several that need more care than others.
Clary sage should NEVER be used in any way if you have consumed alcohol with in the past 24 hours, as it can give you night terrors.
Peppermint oil shouldn't be used if you are also taking homeopathic medications or have high blood pressure.
And apart from a few essential oils should always be diluted with either a base oil or a white alcohol I use cheap vodka.

While essential oils are great please be careful there are several that need more care than others.
Clary sage should NEVER be used in any way if you have consumed alcohol with in the past 24 hours, as it can give you night terrors.
Peppermint oil shouldn't be used if you are also taking homeopathic medications or have high blood pressure.
And apart from a few essential oils should always be diluted with either a base oil or a white alcohol I use cheap vodka.

I agree that you need to be cautious using essential oils... always, always read up for yourself on any essential oils you are considering using... and always dilute them. You can dilute in water (eg: in a bath), or use oils, or use alcohol or a water and alcohol mixture. With alcohol they are excellent for spraying. If you are burning them oil or water only. There is a good general article about using essential oils safely here.

I have a really poor sleep pattern so I tried this. I thought the smell was horrible and it certainly didn't do anything for me. I often listen to a talking book - currently it's "In and Out of the Kitchen" by Miles Jupp. I find it relaxing (and funny) but it doesn't help me to sleep. I just try not to worry about it these days as I'm retired.

Hi

As a qualified Aromatherapist, I totally agree with both madmax and maymorganlondon.

I have difficulty sleeping as well. I tend to cycle through different things rather than always doing the same.... a lot of what will work depends on what is keeping you awake, and for me it's not always the same thing.

I've used hypnotherapy CDs - not to be hypnotised, but to relax more thoroughly - when nothing stops the hamster wheel from spinning, this is the best for me.

Essential oils:
I use lavender essential oil on a piece of kitchen towel under the pillowcase.
I also use marjoram essential oil the same way - it can be like knock-out drops. It's more powerful than lavender and has the advantage that lavendar essential oil lacks - it works the same way however much you use... too much lavender essential oil acts to stimulate rather than calm.
Same with clary sage essential oil (a little relaxes, a lot stimulates).

Magnesium deficiency can cause sleep problems. So equally using magnesium can alleviate them. One way to help with this is a soak in epsom salts which contain magnesium (and you could combine with a drop or two of a calming essential oil). Epsom salts are not expensive and are easily obtained in healthfood shops, chemists and on line. You can also get magnesium sprays either to take internally or as an oil that you can massage on the skin. Magnesium can also help with muscle cramps. I found it excellent for both sleep and muscle cramps when I've used it (but if you soak in epsom salts before bed, don't make the water too hot).

You can try a hop pillow (healthfood shops and websites will sell these). I've not tried this, but am interested to try one.

Then there are herbal supplements you can try. I personally try to avoid these as while they do help you sleep, they leave me feeling groggy and "hungover" the following day.

You can try keeping a notebook by your side to write down thoughts that come to mind.

It's also worth taking a note of whether being too hot or too cold makes you wakeful and adjusting for the temperature in the room together with your bedding choices.

With insomnia, it's always better to have lots of different tactics you can use, and also not to get too worked up about it (getting stressed about it will just make it worse).

Like with everything, as we're all unique, what works for some people won't necessarily work for someone else... and what works for you on one occasion may not work on another.

If you really can't sleep, it can be better to just get up and find something neutral (boring) to do, rather than fretting in bed. I actually find a cuppa can help me relax and go back to sleep, or watching something unchallenging on tv, listening to some relaxing music... nothing too physically or mentally active. Once you take yourself out of the stressful situation of not sleeping, it's amazing how quickly you can get back into sleep mode.

thanks for this - I haven't slept through a night in around 20 years. I have even had prescribed sleeping pills and they haven't worked either, think I need an 8 hour general anesthetic every night!

Everyone has been so helpful with all their hints and tips about getting a good night's sleep. Thank you so much, it is very much appreciated. I am normally shattered when l go to bed and easily nod off but it is staying asleep that is my problem. Just as l am starting to sleep l end up feeling like l am being kicked in the stomach and l end up having all sorts of anxious thoughts.l know it is mainly job related as we are having a massive restructure at the moment and we are having to reapply for our jobs. Not everyone will be successful so redundancy is quite possible. It is a very stressful time and l am trying hard to take care of myself as it is very easy to go under in situations like this.

Everyone has been so helpful with all their hints and tips about getting a good night's sleep. Thank you so much, it is very much appreciated. I am normally shattered when l go to bed and easily nod off but it is staying asleep that is my problem. Just as l am starting to sleep l end up feeling like l am being kicked in the stomach and l end up having all sorts of anxious thoughts.l know it is mainly job related as we are having a massive restructure at the moment and we are having to reapply for our jobs. Not everyone will be successful so redundancy is quite possible. It is a very stressful time and l am trying hard to take care of myself as it is very easy to go under in situations like this.

It's horrible when you are beset with uncertainty like that.

In such a situation, it may be particularly useful for you to try hypnotherapy CDs, or meditation/mindfulness CDs to help you switch off mentally.... (the only tricky part is finding someone whose voice you can listen to properly, and not get distracted by the accent). I would also get that notebook next to the bed - that way you can quickly jot down any questions or worries you may have so they don't stick in your mind. Every time you get that jolt, write down what has prodded you back to wakefulness.

As much as you can, you are doing the right things already... just carry on looking after yourself - eating and drinking well to support your body during all this stress.

All the very best to you!

Last edited:
I have tried the pillow mist, which I didn't rate, but the body oil does help. I rub two drops on my neck/chest and that does the trick in sending me off to sleep.
I am also one of those who wakes throughout the night - I reckon on getting about 2/3 hours sleep initially without waking up, and then I seem to wake every hour after that, so if there is something else that would help that - I would be interested.

It's horrible when you are beset with uncertainty like that.

In such a situation, it may be particularly useful for you to try hypnotherapy CDs, or meditation/mindfulness CDs to help you switch off mentally.... (the only tricky part is finding someone whose voice you can listen to properly, and not get distracted by the accent). I would also get that notebook next to the bed - that way you can quickly jot down any questions or worries you may have so they don't stick in your mind. Every time you get that jolt, write down what has prodded you back to wakefulness.

As much as you can, you are doing the right things already... just carry on looking after yourself - eating and drinking well to support your body during all this stress.

All the very best to you!

I second all of that... And my sympathies to anyone struggling to get to sleep, stay asleep or waking early, I battle with all three and can't remember the last time I slept normally and it's horrid :(

On the subject of CD's, I would suggest steering clear of Glenn Harrold ones - I've yet to meet anyone who can bear his voice or style!

However, I wholeheartedly recommend anything by Andrew Johnson. He has a soothing, Scottish voice and everyone I've given his relaxation CDs to has found them useful. If you search the App Store, you can get his various titles very cheaply indeed...

Good luck to you all xox

Last year I went through a stressful time at work and found some hypnotherapy videos on you tube. I would go to bed before hubby,put the video on my iPad next to the bed and settle down and listen to it. 1st time I did it I drifted off and was rudely awoken by hubby coming into the room and putting the light on! Another time I got really cross because I could hear him sniggering in his little office next to the bedroom. I gave him a good talking too and he realised then how much I was struggling sleeping. He behaved after that and the videos worked every time I used them. I always fell to sleep before they had finished.
Might be worth a try if you are having trouble switching you mind off and getting to sleep

I am amazed at how many of us are having problems sleeping - when you are awake in the middle of the night you think you are the only person who can't sleep. I can't remember the last time I slept all the night through, what with hot flushes and the covers on and off, then on and off, it is a right pain. I also have fibromyalgia and sometimes find it hard to find a comfy position in bed. Then when I do wake up my mind starts to worry about things that usually I have no control over. It did not help this morning to hear my neighbour revving his car at 5.40 a.m. I have been very interested in all of your tips as to what helps get you to sleep, thank you.

I second all of that... And my sympathies to anyone struggling to get to sleep, stay asleep or waking early, I battle with all three and can't remember the last time I slept normally and it's horrid :(

On the subject of CD's, I would suggest steering clear of Glenn Harrold ones - I've yet to meet anyone who can bear his voice or style!

However, I wholeheartedly recommend anything by Andrew Johnson. He has a soothing, Scottish voice and everyone I've given his relaxation CDs to has found them useful. If you search the App Store, you can get his various titles very cheaply indeed...

Good luck to you all xox

LOL - I love Glenn Harrold's voice! But it's not to everyone's taste. So far I've avoided anything with a US accent like the plague - there may be exceptions, but I don't find them soothing rather irritating.

But one of the things I particularly like about Glenn H's CDs is the music - he's a professional musician as well as the hypnotherapy, and for me it's perfect - simple, low-key and a good foil for the words... it's a toss-up which are the bigger niggles for people - the voice (accent, pitch, tone) or the music. If you can do as sharonk suggests and get on youtube... definitely an area where you need to try before you invest, to find out what works for you.

What was important for me was the peace I got - I could relax, I could sleep, I was able to stop the terrifying thoughts going through my head at the time while I was awaiting treatment - so I would say superb for extremely worrying stressful situations where you can't seem to switch off and relax at all. Funnily enough, it wasn't a specific sleep CD I used!

Last edited:
Omg, how funny, it's good job we're all different ;) Glenn Harrold's voice gives me murderous thoughts! And what I was also going to say was how much I loathe the music soundtrack!! I find it new-agey and electronica (I'm shocked he's a musician, I have a degree in music and am a bit of a musical snob!) But I'm so pleased that you find him and his recordings soothing, who cares what I think so long as it helps...

But do suggest you give Andrew - Relax with Andrew Johnson Lite is FREE on App Store to give a taster!

My other tip is to invest in some really good earplugs. I use Howard Leight laser lites and get near perfect silence plus they're a very light, extremely comfy foam so you barely know they're in! You can buy them on amazon or eBay...

However if you have serious and long-term sleep problems, do visit the GP. They can't solve the problem - I'm on 3 types of sleeping pills, alternate nights because I have other severe health problems and have done for years - and I still haven't slept since Monday morning, but it's good to get some support...

Omg, how funny, it's good job we're all different ;) Glenn Harrold's voice gives me murderous thoughts! And what I was also going to say was how much I loathe the music soundtrack!! I find it new-agey and electronica (I'm shocked he's a musician, I have a degree in music and am a bit of a musical snob!) But I'm so pleased that you find him and his recordings soothing, who cares what I think so long as it helps...

But do suggest you give Andrew - Relax with Andrew Johnson Lite is FREE on App Store to give a taster!

My other tip is to invest in some really good earplugs. I use Howard Leight laser lites and get near perfect silence plus they're a very light, extremely comfy foam so you barely know they're in! You can buy them on amazon or eBay...

However if you have serious and long-term sleep problems, do visit the GP. They can't solve the problem - I'm on 3 types of sleeping pills, alternate nights because I have other severe health problems and have done for years - and I still haven't slept since Monday morning, but it's good to get some support...

Thanks for the tip on the earplugs, Loopy. I will definitely be ordering some as I'm very sensitive to sound. I hate taking the Tube in London as it's so noisy it's almost deafening. I bought some orange earplugs from the Pound Shop once - 4 pairs for £1 and they came with a little plastic case to put them in. They were pretty good though. I think it's important not to place too reliance on one product - be it a spray or whatever. It's best to get everything right to make the best experience you can. If a Northern Nights 5million thread count sheet helps, then great! Personally the Youtube videos really help me a lot. My heart goes out to anyone suffering with chronic pain / ailments. It can be so debilitating and affects absolutely everything. It's like the ultimate torture being physically tired yet unable to sleep, recharge, rest and heal. The problem is often a vicious circle as the less sleep you get, the less your body can heal / balance, thereby affecting the mind. I remember it only too well, just wanting for it all to be over. Other people who do my job at my level earn £200 doing overnight subbing shifts. Some people do 3 per week and then go in to work the day after. They all have plenty of cash (£4-5k a month in earnings) and are amazed that I don't do it, but I don't want to and I don't need to. I manage perfectly well on my basic salary of £24,800. I'm very frugal and don't hanker after anything. I go flying for at least one hour but that's £195 per month which in the great scheme of things isn't that much. I could waste that partying, but I don't. I don't even know how people doing overnights can drive home safely. You wouldn't believe the amount of coffee that gets drunk there. It's not good and I value my health. I do drink cups of tea late at night sometimes but only when I'm working on a magazine piece or coming up with ideas.

I tried the This Works - they touted it as a natural sleep remedy.

Hah! I stupidly sprayed it on the bed at the edge of my pillow (didn't fancy it on the pillow). Mmm, smells nice... then BAM! I get hit with the same reaction I get when I'm in the same room as air fresheners and non-natural wax candles.

Natural, my ar$e! I had to strip the bed and put a towel under the sheet before I could get back in. I know I'm an extreme example, but my allergies to synthetic fragrances started (and worsened) way before they started putting allergy warnings on candles. I can only imagine that today's youngsters are going to be part of a major epidemic of asthma and allergy sufferers in the future.

And that is the WORST part of this product. They call it natural, yet it's anything but. Yes, there are some natural oils in it, but they don't make it crystal clear that there are synthetics in it as well.

SO, rant over and buyer beware. Several people have mentioned some lovely alternatives here. I'll be sticking to those as lavender oils etc., definitely calm me and help me sleep. Just not in this over-priced form.

Latest posts

Back