Arrrrggghhhh Tautology

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was surprised by Claudia recently saying " these earrings go beautiful with the necklace" and then telling us that most of the items on the show went "beautiful" with each other. It annoyed me so much I switched the television off.
It occurred to me reading this thread that all the examples could have been said by Del Boy himself and that seems to prove they are examples of bad grammar.

the one that really winds me up is "different to" it is "similar to" and"different from". I don't know why but it sets my teeth on edge!!

Thanks to you all. Had a good laugh. I also can't abide "would of"/"should of". I have actually seen it written as "should'of". I find myself muttering "p*ss off" and then I switch off.

I hate it when they say "This comes in yer Amethyst, yer Peridot, yer Topaz" etc, etc:mysmilie_73: Pure Del Boy

Sorry but I just HAVE to vent. Nearly all the presenters do it but it was particularly obvious just now when Caroline referred to "these ones", followed immediately by Simon saying "Sorry, those ones have now gone." It is these or those , the "ones" are superfluous. It's not a regional thing, merely very bad grammar and it makes me cross!...:mysmilie_73::mysmilie_73:

* stomps off muttering *

I must say, and I know some people will find this annoying, but I am extremely fastidious about the correct use of grammar. People are different, though, and what one person says, another will say something different. It wouldn't do if we were all the same!

This "would of", "should of" drives me absolutely mad. I hear it more and more on television, as well as being more or less the norm in the classroom!!

I am so glad that it is not just me whi finds this grammatical aberration particularly annoying. As a non native speaker, I find it odd as it makes absolutiely no grammatical nor logical sense!

Claire also says "continue on",always gets me mad!

fairy.she also says continuing on....
having just logged on to check on the BE auto delivery ...i have had to pop off to the loo as ive laughed so much :mysmilie_34:.........thanks girls.....

anyway my pet hate is free instead of three.......fink instead of think....etc etc.....i know all about the del boys/ girls who would use those type of pronunciations as its their own dialect. Being a Yorkshire pudding living in another county i have to try really hard so people know what i mean & vice versa.
BUT i think i know the reason for all the extra words........they have to have SOMETHING to talk about when demonstrating a pile of poop :mysmilie_17:

I'm forever telling my daughter off for the 'of' instead of 'have'.

I agree with everything here !!!!!! :mysmilie_82:

Thank you for making me laugh this morning, bad grammar and spellings jump off the page and scratch my eyes out.

Lazy speech is unacceptable ... :mysmilie_61: :mysmilie_61: :mysmilie_61:

Sold out - not!

I hate when presenters (especially on IW, but also creeping into QVC) say that '30% of the stock has sold out'. No it hasn't! The stock hasn't sold out until ALL of it has gone!

BTW, what an interesting thread this is! I despair about how bad grammar today has become. My pet hate is the greengrocer's apostrophe (TV's; tomato's; pound's etc.) I have already had to correct my 8 year old daughter for using incorrect grammar she says she was taught in class!

When banging on about prices AY quite often states that a product is now MORE than half price. Which implies the price was halved, then increased! Surely she means LESS than half price! :mysmilie_17: We all know what she means but it's just lazy speech. Drives my OH up the wall....

Tx

Another per hate is, for example, those that say "there's no milk"........
'No milk' cannot exist, does not exist. We can be without milk or observe that the container is empty but the above phrase is senseless.....and lazy....

I love these threads too, because they make me feel like a normal person rather than the terrible pedantic creature I know I really am...:mysmilie_701:
But in my defense, I teach at university, and at postgraduate level, and I am really disenheartened by the complete ignorance of grammar displayed by so many of my students, which are supposed to be the best of the crop too... Reading a 12,000 dissertation written as if it were a 60-page long text can destroy my will to live...:mysmilie_73:

I hate when presenters (especially on IW, but also creeping into QVC) say that '30% of the stock has sold out'. No it hasn't! The stock hasn't sold out until ALL of it has gone!

BTW, what an interesting thread this is! I despair about how bad grammar today has become. My pet hate is the greengrocer's apostrophe (TV's; tomato's; pound's etc.) I have already had to correct my 8 year old daughter for using incorrect grammar she says she was taught in class![/QUOTE]

This is really worrying, isn't it?

I must drive you lot mad with my postings ! I cant spell and know nothing about grammer , sorry to anyone it offends , I choose to see myself as "differently gifted " Hugs to all . B xx

This is a great thread and I agree with all thats been said. But the thing that really bugs me even more than bad grammar is when presenters and guests refer to viewers as 'you guys' I absolutely hate this way of addressing people. Whats wrong with ladies and gentlemen or boy's and girls. You will have to excuse my grammar as I know it's not perfect but then I am not on National TV.

Latest posts

Back