Asda worker stole for TV shopping sprees

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

fhl

Registered Shopper
From The Daily Telegraph 10 Feb 2012

AN ASDA worker who stole £130,000 from the supermarket was discovered with trinkets she had bought in sprees on shopping channels.

Sandra Norris, 58, has been ordered to pay back just £14,000 after spending most of the money on the QVC television channel.

When police raided her home they found almost £80,000 in vouchers, about £6,600 in cash and piles of unopened goods, including perfume,
jewellery, clothing and alcohol.

Norris, who has worked at Asda in Totton, Southampton, for 20 years, took customer’s vouchers, increased their value, and pocketed the
cash difference from the tills. It was her job to empty tills, cash up and put the sums in the store computer system.
Norris would sometimes double the value of coupons customers used to pay for their shopping, Southampton Crown Court heard.
She was arrested after an in-house investigation into discrepancies in the store’s accounts.

Norris was jailed for 28 months after admitting stealing £700 and a charge of fraud by abusing her position of trust.

She returned to court for a confiscation hearing. Judge Peter Ralls QC was told that she benefited by £131,670 through her criminal conduct.

Norris had realisable assets of £14,394 which included £5,000 of goods bought from the shopping channel and was ordered
to pay £14,394 with 10 months in default.

Most of the stuff she stole was just to pay for the P&P charges :tongue:

imagine if a QVC worker stole so that they could spend a small fortune in Asda, in a way that would make more sense as you could actually get some useful stuff and no p and p!

I find that really sad, and I don't think she should have gone to prison. She should have had to give back all the profits of her crime, be charged for the rest and then had treatment. A lot of people shop to make themselves feel better about their lives and never open the items they have bought, just stash them away. They do it for the high of buying and they have empty lives, so it fills a gap for them. I know she did wrong but it seems not the right way to treat her problems. Maybe I should go and burn some joss sticks and put my hippy beads on, I've slipped into love and peace mode!

maybe i'm biased having been on the rough end of her unpleasant manner on the customer service desk but i'm old fashioned - do the crime, do the time.

maybe i'm biased having been on the rough end of her unpleasant manner on the customer service desk but i'm old fashioned - do the crime, do the time.

Well I am not biased I don't know her but I am with you, if people are prepared to break the law for any reason then they should be prepared to take the punishment. Too much pussy footing around criminals nowadays always has to be a reason something in thier background etc. where in reality mst of them are just greedy wanting something they can't afford. There is nothing on QVC worth ruining your life for

Prison was too lenient.

I would've sentenced her to the following;

1) Walk around wearing Butler and Wilson jewelry for a whole year.
2) Wear the most hideous clothing available.
3) Have hair washed daily with a mix of Richard Jackson's Flower Power.

Prison was too lenient.

I would've sentenced her to the following;

1) Walk around wearing Butler and Wilson jewelry for a whole year.
2) Wear the most hideous clothing available.
3) Have hair washed daily with a mix of Richard Jackson's Flower Power.

as she bought so much from shopping channels with her stolen money, she's probably done 1 and 2. the hair looks like she was also doing 3.

slightly off topic but touching on the hoarding thing, did anyone see those photos that Marie Francoise (spelling?) showed on the 5pm Kipling show. It was of a woman's collection of Kipling bags, around 130 and she and Pipa were talking as if this was a good thing! Well from a sales and profit point of view it must be but I found it strange.

I work in mental health and have encountered a few hoarders and people who go on spending binges when they have an elevated mood. Guess I would see owning so many bags as maybe rather more complex than a simple fondness for shopping.

slightly off topic but touching on the hoarding thing, did anyone see those photos that Marie Francoise (spelling?) showed on the 5pm Kipling show. It was of a woman's collection of Kipling bags, around 130 and she and Pipa were talking as if this was a good thing! Well from a sales and profit point of view it must be but I found it strange.

I work in mental health and have encountered a few hoarders and people who go on spending binges when they have an elevated mood. Guess I would see owning so many bags as maybe rather more complex than a simple fondness for shopping.

She may have thought she was ordering "exceedingly good cakes!

Latest posts

Back