AY's wrong advice on Ultrasun!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

G

galaxy

Guest Shopper
Sorry this post is an epic one (some of you know I love a good epic :wink:), but I really think anyone who uses Ultrasun should know about this.

To say AY's advice is wrong is to put it mildly, more like it's dangerous!:angry: This is what happens when sales assistant (with not much experience in the beauty industry for the past 16 years) as everyone on here has quite rightly noticed, has illusions of grandeur and is playing a resident beauty expert with encyclopedic knowledge of ingredients (her self styled title has an unpleasant effect on me:puke:).
After several persistent emails, I have finally got an answer direct from Ultrasun about AY spouting rubbish (although they are careful not to upset her and dare not say outright that is dangerous what she says. I've copied my email to them and their answer:

"I buy Ultrasun regularly from QVC and also direct from your web site, too. Can you please clarify this for me: In the past you have advised me over the phone to apply ultrasun (for the face) first thing before anything else, on clean skin. However Alison Young the QVC beauty expert has given this advise as an alternative on the QVC web site:

Alison Young's tips on application:
Apply on a dry, non-sweating skin and leave it on the skin for 15-20 minutes before putting anything else on.
If you have a regular skincare routine, do this first then about 20-30 minutes later apply your Ultrasun.Do not apply any other creams or lotions because it won't work as a sun protection till about an hour after. It really has to bond to the skin!

This is very confusing! Although I prefer to use her system (apply my serums and moisturisers first thing in the morning) and then wait for 30min - 1 hour, then apply ultrasun on top and then follow on with make up... I have a feeling that this might not be correct? Please advice if I can truly apply my usual skincare (as per Alison's advice) and then follow on with Ultrasun, instead of ultrasun first and then follow with skincare if wanted. WHICH ONE IS TRUE, PLEASE?

You will appreciate that I have to get this right to get safe protection and also not waste my money due to potentially incorrect advice. I have been your customer for over three years now and would appreciate clarification on this, please. I have also written to you before with this question, but have not received a reply. Hope I will be honoured a reply this time, please.

Thanks in advance"

Here is their short answer, but with plenty to read in between the lines:

"Thankyou for your email and sorry for the confusion.
Our advice is we would prefer for you to apply ultrasun FIRST onto clean, dry, skin before your other products.
Please don't hesitate to contact us further should you have any other queries.

Kind regards
Helen Harber"

In the meantime I've sent email to QVC but no joy, as usual. They are not interested to clarify anything. I'll now send them Ulrtasun's email and say they should remove Alison's expert advice of the web, but won't hold my breath!

Keep plugging away at QVC Galaxy! I got a right bug up my arse about AY claiming that QVC was the only UK stockist of Smashbox, depsite it being available at TWO other locations. I mailed them several times and pointed out that not only was this inaccurate, it was a blatant lie and as the resident beauty expert surely she'd be on the ball, knowing which brands were sold where etc. They eventually conceeded and AY started saying they were the 'biggest supplier' and that it was only available in a few other locations (not saying this was just down to me btw!).

She gives out such dodgy advice, it's a wonder their returns rate isn't higher for a lot of products (maybe it is, they don't tend to advertise them) as if people use them as she describes, half the time they won't work properly. I notice the Ultrasun lady has been more hesitant lately about claiming it's a once a day only, she's started saying stuff like 'obviously you know your own skin best and you have to be reasonable about being out in the sun or in water'...so it's not once a day then??!

Tx

If you are on Facebook then post this on QVC's page, they seem to respond to posts on there, possibly because there are over 10,000 QVC fans who might read the posts there.

If you are on Facebook then post this on QVC's page, they seem to respond to posts on there, possibly because there are over 10,000 QVC fans who might read the posts there.

Unfortunately, I am not on facebook (not my thing,really). Can anyone else post this on the QVC facebook page instead? At least that will expose them and their dodgy works in a public domain. Good idea, any suggestions how we can make it work (short of me signing on facebook!).

A similar thing happened to me when QVC first brought out Blueberry Quartz. They were flogging it as though it came out of the ground as the blueberry colour - but when I investigated on the internet, most quartz is heat processed dyed to any colour wanted ie blueberry, raspberry etc. I wrote to qvc pointing this out - several times, but with no luck.

In the end I wrote to the local Trading Standards Office, wahey ! within a week good old Dale was banging on about what different internet sites were saying about the stuff. So it does pay to persevere.

Incidentally, blueberry quartz, as with russian diopside, aint quite so popular anymore is it.

It is the same with Mookite - they bang on about how it can only be found in Australia's Mooka valley then have Mookite items on the website stating that they are sourced from China. It is misrepresentation and really annoys me that they get away with it.

I usually find that with any company not complying, the mention of Trading Standards is usually enough to get them to comply :up:.

Thanks for this info on Ultra Sun.

I was using the Face 30 first then apply my decleor oil and moisturiser but was getting pigmentation patches through. I facebooked Fiona Brackenbury who told me to change to factor 50 but apply skin care first, wait 10 mins, then apply the ultra sun. To be fair she did say 'AY says..'. Now I don't know what to do!

I think I will apply the ultra sun first again but how long do we really have to wait before using the decleor oil follwed by moisturiser without upsetting the SPF and how long can a morning routine take before I even get to applying my make-up!

I e-mailed Ultrasun as well, as I use A'kin Rosehip oil and wanted to know if it was compatible. They replied to say use Ultrasun first, wait 15 mins then put on the Rosehip oil so I would imagine it is the same for Decleor and all other ranges.

But I have oily skin so at the moment I'm just using the Ultrasun, waiting 15 mins then putting on primer and make-up but appreciate not everyone is able to skip moisturiser - and not sure where AY has got the info about putting oils/moisturisers on first from, as seems to conflict with what Ultrasun are telling us :wonder:

Thanks for this info on Ultra Sun.

I was using the Face 30 first then apply my decleor oil and moisturiser but was getting pigmentation patches through. I facebooked Fiona Brackenbury who told me to change to factor 50 but apply skin care first, wait 10 mins, then apply the ultra sun. To be fair she did say 'AY says..'. Now I don't know what to do!

I think I will apply the ultra sun first again but how long do we really have to wait before using the decleor oil follwed by moisturiser without upsetting the SPF and how long can a morning routine take before I even get to applying my make-up!

It's a nightmare to know whether what we are doing is not compromising either the suncream (I guess this is most important), or even the skincare on top.
Someone (sorry I can't remember who it was on this forum or in which tread, only couple of weeks ago) said that whatever you put on top of ultrasun, especially water based serums are not going to sink in and are going to only sit on top and not get to where they are designed to get. So you are basically wasting your expensive serums!
She was saying that's due to the occlusive nature of the suncream as it's waterproof. But it doesn't stop Alison telling you to buy all sorts of anti-ageing potions to slot in with the Ultrasun and that they will all sink in - I am not so sure about that any more, it all stinks of a sales tactic to me!

As for the way Ultrasun was designed to work: Couple of years ago I spoke in length to Ultrasun people and they said that I must not apply any skincare before hand as any oil will compromise the SPF! I was inquiring if I can use a toner, they said not before, but only after ultrasun and was told it's best to wait 30 min to apply my skincare after. They also said I should not use oily cleansers either (so the likes of C&P, any cream cleansers in the morning are out). Basically any oil residue on the skin will compromise the SPF. That's why Alison's advice was very suspect to me and I had to clarify with Ultrasun again.

I am getting quite annoyed with the do-s and don't-s, just like you I have few little patches of pigmentation (nothing major, but would not like it to get worse). We have recently moved to Saudi Arabia where temperatures reach above 50 C on a daily basis, so effective suncare is crucial. I can't afford to get it wrong. Have decided that I will now use Ultrasun with a light layer of moisturiser only (no serum for the day time) and as I have done originally on clean dry face, wait 30 min, no faffing with toners and only a bit of meatogenine on top. Unfortunately there is no way to tell if it's going to be the right way, only time will tell...

it's a blimmin minefield isn't it, that's why I decided to scrap moisturiser/serum/oil etc completely for daytime use in the summer months & just use the Ultrasun, but I'm lucky to have that option due to my oily skin.

And I don't sunbathe or live in a hot climate, so for me it's just for general out and about purposes - but I use Alpha H liquid gold which is a glycolic treatment so very important to use a suncreen otherwise pigmentation can get worse, so I am paranoid about being properly protected, can only imagine how you must feel out in Saudi Arabia!

it all seems very clear to me. the people who make the product say "apply to clean dry skin". it says this on the leaflet and from what's said above theyve said it to those of you who have enquired directly. if youve put a load of moisturiser on your face it aint clean is it? durr.

the leaflet for P20 used to say not to even use moisturising bath products or shower gels containing silicon. it actually said "use basic bar soap" or words to that effect. not sure if it still says this but again theyre making it pretty clear that the skin needs to be scrupulously clean with no oils or slippy stuff in order for the sun protection to bond and work.

i suspect youre all asking and re-asking the same question in the hope that you'll get the answer you want to hear, i.e that you can carry on applying all the lotions and potions as usual and slap the ultrasun on afterwards.... its not going to happen. here it is again:

"apply to clean, dry skin".

given that we can be pretty damn sure that the sun protection is going to give you a real benefit, whilst all the other cr*p's efficacy is tenuous to say the least, i'd stick with the ultrasun when its sunny and youre going to be out in it. and for those days when its not sunny, or your going to be indoors ie 345 days of the normal british year enjoy your routine and carry on kidding yourself that its doing something if this makes you happy. the suggestion that we all should wear sun protection every day as a matter of routine is boll*cks for most people and just a marketing ploy to you to buy more and more stuff.

there you go, and i didnt even have to say it in a shreiky voice or demand AY's appearance fee.

final observation - those of you who are spending vast amounts of time, money and energy on a skincare routine, slotting in products here, there and everywhere really need to have a think. youve been listening to "her" for too long and my my she's really done a number on you hasnt she? take a reality check girls.

Last edited:
It was me Galaxy regarding Ultrasun and serums etc. It was in response to Cavegirls thread:
http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22829

These are my thoughts with my therapist hat on.

Ultrasun as I've said is chemical based and as BurlyBear has stated and so do their instructions must be applied to clean dry skin for it to work.

If it was me using it I would cleanse with a wash off cleanser like Decleor foaming, Purity or something similar but not cream based. Apply Ultrasun Face30 as it has all the moisturising ingredients that can replace your usual moisturiser. And thats it. You could use if you wanted an eye cream with an SPF for your lilteral eye area (sorry couldn't resist that!)

At night do your usual cleansing routine and apply whatever serums/oils you like. The skin repairs itself at night and is the best time to use these.

As I said before Ultrasun is water resistant therefore repelling water for a short length of time so can't see the point in putting a water based serum on top as it is just wasted.

It also depends on the scenario whether you are in the garden for a spell or on holiday then protection is of utmost importance but if just in/out house, work, shopping etc then I wouldn't use this all year round. A moisturiser with SPF would be fine providing the UVA protection is high but if mineral based the sun would be reflected. Also make up with SPF in is usually mineral based too so a good choice.

Daytime moisturisers with SPF can either have chemical or mineral sunscreens in so you would need to check the label.

Ultrasun do a non chemical sunscreen if you like to use all your other products unfortunately they can give you that 'white' look but some like Elemis Liquid Layer are more lightweight but still give you that protection as these reflect the suns rays.

Chemical sunscreens absorb the suns rays within the skin.
Mineral sunscreens reflect/bounce back the suns rays before hitting the skin.

Finally I find it very odd Ultrasun saying you can use a toner after your sunscreen as binded , that doesn't make any sense to me at all, you are just removing your sun protection!

Ultrasun are experts in manufacturing sun protection and how you use theirs and not in complex beauty routines if you have one.

My mantra is always keep your skin care simple then you will reduce the risk of future sensitivities and breakouts. There is no need for layers of complicated products either on a daily basis.

If there is anyone I would listen to on any of the beauty shows it would be people such as Michaela from Gatineau, Fiona from Decleor, Keeley from Elemis as they are trainers for the brand who teach other therapists and are actively working with clients skin on a daily basis unlike AY. They are the ones that are constantly updating their knowledge and skills and even developing new treatments.

I will apologise now if I have sent anyone off to sleep!!

:flower:

it all seems very clear to me. the people who make the product say "apply to clean dry skin". it says this on the leaflet and from what's said above theyve said it to those of you who have enquired directly. if youve put a load of moisturiser on your face it aint clean is it? durr.

the leaflet for P20 used to say not to even use moisturising bath products or shower gels containing silicon. it actually said "use basic bar soap" or words to that effect. not sure if it still says this but again theyre making it pretty clear that the skin needs to be scrupulously clean with no oils or slippy stuff in order for the sun protection to bond and work.

i suspect youre all asking and re-asking the same question in the hope that you'll get the answer you want to hear, i.e that you can carry on applying all the lotions and potions as usual and slap the ultrasun on afterwards.... its not going to happen. here it is again:

"apply to clean, dry skin".

given that we can be pretty damn sure that the sun protection is going to give you a real benefit, whilst all the other cr*p's efficacy is tenuous to say the least, i'd stick with the ultrasun when its sunny and youre going to be out in it. and for those days when its not sunny, or your going to be indoors ie 345 days of the normal british year enjoy your routine and carry on kidding yourself that its doing something if this makes you happy. the suggestion that we all should wear sun protection every day as a matter of routine is boll*cks for most people and just a marketing ploy to you to buy more and more stuff.

there you go, and i didnt even have to say it in a shreiky voice or demand AY's appearance fee.

final observation - those of you who are spending vast amounts of time, money and energy on a skincare routine, slotting in products here, there and everywhere really need to have a think. youve been listening to "her" for too long and my my she's really done a number on you hasnt she? take a reality check girls.

Agree with most of what you say here, BB. I am 'weaning' myself off AY and her brain washing (she has managed to inflict major damage to my bank balance over the past 5 years since watching her, but sadly I can't say that I've reversed or even stopped the ageing process thanks to her advice!).
She operates by seizing on a natural weakness that most women past 35 have (realising that finally time starts to catch up with us) and bombards us 24/7 with false promises (all based of course on her high credentials of being the resident beauty expert with over 22 years in the beauty industry,blah,blah,blah). One look at her own (anti) ageing results and you can safely conclude that either she is not practising what she preaches, or this stuff she is flogging IS NOT working!

ST forum has proved quite helpful for me, though. It has helped me further reinforce my resolve against AY's spell. It's almost a form of group therapy for us recovering shopping(beauty) addicts.:up:

The other thing too as Donna255 mentioned is that AY had been using Prescriptives Superline serum for years before it came on QVC, how many other products does she use that we don't know about? Not that I care but what I do mind is the 'you need this and that to slot into your routine' when you don't and that she uses every product practically in QVC's beauty dept when she probably doesn't!.

She comes out with so many situations like the school run, university, shift worker in the hope of hitting the right target where someone at home watching goes 'yeah, that's me, I'd better order that'. Another sale!.

I woke up along time ago and read right through it all. I only order what works for me and not what she says.

Thanks for that Ms Trouble, highly appreciated!! It's really informative to know all the facts especially coming from someone like you who is a beauty therapist, unlike our own resident beauty therapist with no actual (sorry, I couldn't resist either:giggle:) experience in the beauty industry.:mysmilie_504:

i don't really pay attention to her anymore i don't see the need to pay extortionate prices for so-called miracle creams i use a 10 pound moisturiser and it's honestly the best i've used i swear by it my skin looks much better than it has. you just have to watch and remember not to get brainwashed by her

BLIMEY ! I cant believe I have survived so long !!!!! I am 62, have clear soft skin with just a few smiley lines and the dreaded crepey eyelids, and NO I was never shielded from the sun as a child and teenager, in fact I lived on the SE coast all my young life, and spent most of it on the beach with no protection whatsoever !!!! OH YES, if we got a bit red, there was always Calamine Lotion to be dabbed on, like chickenpox ! Then there was Ambre Solaire oil and Nivea that we slathered on for a really deep tan, and guess what, all my classmates were the same, and we are all still alive and kicking all.g with no side effects at all.

Its all a huuuuge sale gimmick, and an expensive one at that ! Just stay out of the sun at its hottest, and wear a hat ! simples !

Latest posts

Back