Banned from Rocks TV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
perhaps they should have just got rid of the chat then, seems to cause more probs than any other aspect of rocks tv

It can be useful though - this morning somebody was asking about a bracelet size & as I have the bracelet myself, was able to offer some suggestion as to fit compared to similar ones which I also have!
That's what I would miss about Chat, the helpful & interesting interaction between posters about the various jewellery items, would suddenly seem kinda lonely without it there at all! lol

Had to laugh VG...just as Rae had finished saying ooo email me your requests, someone in chat put HI GALLERY, PLEASE CAN I HAVE THIS PIECE.....

I nearly fell off my chair laughing...and not in a good way!!!

Had to laugh VG...just as Rae had finished saying ooo email me your requests, someone in chat put HI GALLERY, PLEASE CAN I HAVE THIS PIECE.....

I nearly fell off my chair laughing...and not in a good way!!!

lol, I must have missed that one. Don't they realise, there are no requests??

Chat this morning was surprisingly - about gems and jewellery - and I felt moved to join in although I don't often for all of the reasons mentioned here. (twig on Rocks)
I still can't resist pointing out that there are no requests when people SHOUT IN THE CHAT ROOM.
I'd be sorry to see it go but I did bang on about getting the "off" button back and I have been moved to use it quite a lot especially in the evenings. However it seems a shame to have to do that when the proper chat is so helpful.

We could do with a button for "this person has just responded to a twit, off with their head". The number of responses make the chat just as difficult to read as the twerps themselves. If we all swallowed hard and ignored them, they'd get bored and, even if they didn't, without all the accompanying hoo-ha chat would slow in any event. xxxxx

I think the reason why people didn't use the Chit-Chat room is because, as with "real" conversation, one topic leads to another. I suspect people don't go into chat with the intention of having long non-jewellery related conversations - that's just how things develop, and before you know it you're "off topic".

For that reason, introducing mods and giving them the authority to move posts to a separate Chit-Chat room MIGHT work, provided that the system then gave chatters the ability to continue chatting seamlessly in the second room. Perhaps the chatter, and not just the posts, would have to be moved (with the option of moving back to the main chat room to talk about jewellery, of course). It would take a lot of thinking about; and, whatever was done, some people wouldn't be happy.

It's a tough one, because anything which involves people interacting with each other also gives people the opportunity to wind each other up, and inevitably some people are more sensitive than others. At the same time, I really enjoy the chat and it definitely keeps me watching for longer: Rocks wouldn't be the same without it.

would seem all the chatters have scarpered today!...there's more of me there this morning with my measurement comments..lol..

Yeahhhhh, Mira, keep up the good work, we need your valuable info. Seems the chat goes downhill more in the evenings. I really think it would be a shame if we loose chat altogether, hopefully they can find a solution. J. x

well it certainly can't carry on like this, hopefully steve will come on here and let us know whats going to happen with chat

Just my two penny worth!

Fors:

1. It's a great way for genuine RocksTV customers to meet and discuss items they've bought/seen etc.
2. It's a good and quick way to get answers.
3. It breeds a "family feel" to RocksTV.

Against:

1. If it's going to be visible to the general public it needs moderating. NOT by unpaid customers but by paid RocksTV staff who have the final say in moderating. After all, this is a business and shouldn't rely on the kindness of a few who then put themselves in the firing line.
2. There's a bit too much gushiness about pieces (just my opinion) and people with negative points do get shouted down. I understand that's not a popular thing to say on this forum but I'm afraid the good has to be taken with the bad.
3. Cliqueness and incessant chat that is irrelevant, uninteresting and wanders into the "OMG should this be discussed on an open forum?" is seriously undermining to RocksTV. Most of the posters on this forum are not guilty but there are some for whom the chat is a daily lifeline and it's become a bit like a chat with a mate on the phone. It doesn't look professional for RocksTV. Imagine what it must look like to newcomers? However, as others have said, most would struggle to talk bling all the time! So there has to be some tolerance - but where do you draw the line?

What's the answer? Well, I'm not sure because some love chat, others hate it.

Perhaps a chat forum (separate and unseen) from RocksTV general public (where RocksTV can be watched in the same way as it is now) and simply linked to via a link from RocksTV? That way, you have to physically go into it and if you don't like it would be just like watching any other jewellery channel on your PC. Trolls will always be a problem but will be less so if they know that their comments won't be seen and nothing they do will get on TV.

I'm not sure whether st.com could do something but they already have the facility for showing what's being broadcast on the left hand side of the page so instead of posts if it had a chat type of function?????? Just ideas!

Hopefully buying us some delicious new gemstones! On second thoughts, they must be in need of a well deserved break, so relaxing somewhere warm and sunny would probably be best for them.

Just my two penny worth!

Fors:

1. It's a great way for genuine RocksTV customers to meet and discuss items they've bought/seen etc.
2. It's a good and quick way to get answers.
3. It breeds a "family feel" to RocksTV.

Against:

1. If it's going to be visible to the general public it needs moderating. NOT by unpaid customers but by paid RocksTV staff who have the final say in moderating. After all, this is a business and shouldn't rely on the kindness of a few who then put themselves in the firing line.
2. There's a bit too much gushiness about pieces (just my opinion) and people with negative points do get shouted down. I understand that's not a popular thing to say on this forum but I'm afraid the good has to be taken with the bad.
3. Cliqueness and incessant chat that is irrelevant, uninteresting and wanders into the "OMG should this be discussed on an open forum?" is seriously undermining to RocksTV. Most of the posters on this forum are not guilty but there are some for whom the chat is a daily lifeline and it's become a bit like a chat with a mate on the phone. It doesn't look professional for RocksTV. Imagine what it must look like to newcomers? However, as others have said, most would struggle to talk bling all the time! So there has to be some tolerance - but where do you draw the line?

What's the answer? Well, I'm not sure because some love chat, others hate it.

Perhaps a chat forum (separate and unseen) from RocksTV general public (where RocksTV can be watched in the same way as it is now) and simply linked to via a link from RocksTV? That way, you have to physically go into it and if you don't like it would be just like watching any other jewellery channel on your PC. Trolls will always be a problem but will be less so if they know that their comments won't be seen and nothing they do will get on TV.

I'm not sure whether st.com could do something but they already have the facility for showing what's being broadcast on the left hand side of the page so instead of posts if it had a chat type of function?????? Just ideas!

great post meeshoo, i agree with all you have said.
also great to see you back :mysmilie_696: and could i be cheeky and ask you a question please, what does fissure filled ruby mean? see it on tjc and am abit lost!:mysmilie_687:

Just my two penny worth!

QUOTE]

Don't think anyone would disagree with you re having to take the good with the bad. I think that there is a tendancy occasionally to sit and blatantly slag off pieces, and that - to me - is downright rude! It isn't constructive criticism, it isn't 'oo actually that's not for me' its tantamount (in my eyes, anyway) to going round to someones house, sitting them down and taking the pee pee out of their decor right in front of them.

I agree that sometimes there is a wee bit of gushiness, and sometimes (and you can tell them A MILE off), comments are being made that are exceptionally complimentary about a piece with the sole aim of being shown on the telly!! ...gets an eye roll off me EVERY time!!

Thing is, there are people in chat that I get along with really well! People who I do consider to be friends, not just virtual acquaintances. These are people with whom I have swapped MSN addresses and should we feel the need for a blether about non jewellry related 'stuff' while we are watching Rocks, we have the conversation there....there's even a group chat function so 3 or 4 of us can natter to one another at the same time! It's the perfect answer as far as I can see!!! :)

I have to say i have been guity of mindless chatting and still go on occasionally but most of the time i lurk in the back ground because i too get a wee bit annoyed at certain groups that hog the chat but have decided that i am not going to enter into mindless chat any more god wouldnt i be asking for it after comments on here :mysmilie_348:LOL but i will still pop in and ask me old mate MIRA a few questions i think really all we can do is to ignore me and them in future and stick to the questions and topics we know should be discussed perhaps when someone starts we all start up our own accepted topic and take over chat from them :mysmilie_61:you guys have been a great help to me since i joined with your advice and if i am titsing someone off then i would rather be told than carry on doing it :mysmilie_687:

I agree PR. There are some who are RocksTV fanatics and won't hear anything bad said about Rocks TV and there are those who also are creeps trying to get a nice comment on the TV (what on earth is that all about?)! Those same people also pounce on negative comments so it makes it a very uncomfortable place on occasion especially when people have valid criticisms.

I think some group chat function away from Rocks is the way forward and it obviously works for you and your friends. I honestly don't know the answer to this and it must have seemed like a brilliant and unique thing to do to have a chat room - it just seems to have developed into a thing with it's own life - and not always for the good.

Tequila, I can honestly say, you have never titted me off!!! hee hee hee!! Loving that phrase!!!! x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back