Barbel Drexel Supplements Alkaline Diet?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Akimbo

Fluffy
400805 Alkaline ph+ tablets http://www.qvcuk.com/Barbel-Drexel-...ct.400805.html?cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_--_-400805

Not wanting to sound as though I'm scoffing at people who take these supplements but I've never understood the idea of an "Alkaline" diet or eating "alkaline" foods. My late Mum was a biologist and I remember her saying how stomach acidity responds to the food its digesting, so high protein foods need a lower ph (1-2 ie more acidic) for the protease (SP?) enzymes to draw out the protein (sorry that's my layman's understanding). Once the food moves on the stomach buffers the ph back to a less acidic ph of 3-4. Urine can vary in ph as your body regulates it's levels ph: acidity of stomach acids and blood being slightly alkaline (this is a v simplistic explanation so apols to those with greater knowledge than me). My late Dad had stomach ulcers, (he was the first partial gastrectomy at Leeds in 1950 LOL) so we grew up aware of what food to avoid because they aggravated his ulcer. The lists of alkaline foods you can find online look a fairly healthy list anyway, plus advice to eat, say, red meat less frequently seems sensible enough but I'm not convinced it's their ph level alone that makes them preferable foods.

I can't imagine taking a tablet would have any impact whatsoever on one's body ph's. You can buy a zinc, magnesium and calcium supplement cheaper elsewhere I'm sure.

Jill Franks said her kitchen was full of alkaline foods, although she didn't name any, so maybe before the next show she'll google a list and memorise a couple of examples.

I find it totally bizarre that people fall for this stuff. Jill Frank's imbecility besides, there is no credible scientific evidence for any of this stuff. Millions and millions of pounds are spent in research in UK universities regarding nutrition and dietetics each year and still people some people will take their guidance from shopping telelvison's slick salesmen. What I find even more offensive is they spend much of the hour saying 'we can't make medical claims of course' whilst simultaneously making medical claims via 'personal experience', someone else's 'personal experience' or some such.

Interestingly there is a book called 'Honestly Healthy' by Natasha Corrett which is all about how the Alkaline diet supposedly works, with recipes etc. Natasha Corrett is actually Kelly Hoppen's daughter. She also has a lifestyle website and can deliver (extortionately priced) ready meals to your doorstep. Victoria Beckham is one of the stars who is a huge fan and has commented that the book is her favourite cookbook!

Jill Franks said her kitchen was full of alkaline foods, although she didn't name any, so maybe before the next show she'll google a list and memorise a couple of examples.

Maybe she keeps a spare pack of Duracell batteries in the cupboard.
mysmilie_19.gif

Interestingly there is a book called 'Honestly Healthy' by Natasha Corrett which is all about how the Alkaline diet supposedly works, with recipes etc. Natasha Corrett is actually Kelly Hoppen's daughter. She also has a lifestyle website and can deliver (extortionately priced) ready meals to your doorstep. Victoria Beckham is one of the stars who is a huge fan and has commented that the book is her favourite cookbook!

Blimey ! Victoria Beckham eh ! weeellll, who'd have thought she even knew what a cookbook was !!!! (perhaps its also on the shelf in Jill F's non-existent kitchen !!).

Hmmmmmm I watched 5 minutes of the show and hadn't a clue what they were talking about, so switched off. A healthy diet is a combination of Mediterranean and 1940's (without the fags) and then we'll all be slim without a trace of trans-fat touching our lips !!!!!

Oh yes, and everyone under 50 should learn how to cook - with fresh ingredients.

Hmm,nothing to do with the fact that Mrs B & Kelly Hoppen are good friends then?

Latest posts

Back